If they build them like KW, the truck gets built just like an overgrown model. Two blank frame rails, get holes drilled, then it gets built piece by piece down the line. Nothing is preassembled before(except driveline parts). KW even manufactures their own fuel tanks in house. All paint is done by hand(they were working on automating it about 10 yrs ago). They build the dash by hand for each truck for whatever option you want. It really was interesting to see and would love to get another tour someday.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

When I was at the macungie tour a completed chasis entered the back of the plant(obviously assembled elsewhere)

The chasis had the frame, rears, suspension, crossmembers, front axle, mounting brackets etc. they were all painted as well.

The only missing members were transmission, engine, cab & wiring, polution control eq, fuel tanks wheels, tires. It seems if you could purchase a chasis you could get quite creative. That is if you were glider savy. :bulldog3:

When I was at the macungie tour a completed chasis entered the back of the plant(obviously assembled elsewhere)

The chasis had the frame, rears, suspension, crossmembers, front axle, mounting brackets etc. they were all painted as well.

The only missing members were transmission, engine, cab & wiring, polution control eq, fuel tanks wheels, tires. It seems if you could purchase a chasis you could get quite creative. That is if you were glider savy. :bulldog3:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/26449-who-got-the-contract-to-build-mack-chassis/

The first glider I ever saw was a Mack R with a motor , called a 'Powered glider' It was white with undrilled frame raills!! But it looked good!! Heres the catch...... Volvo does not want to make the older parts,the older Mack parts that is!!

BULLHUSK

That's it in a nutshell. Volvo wants to push forward the transition to Volvo global components.

And, Volvo doesn't believe in glider kits. It's not the "Volvo Way". What American customers might want simply doesn't matter. The Volvo way is to tell you what you need. Those Swedes love to dictate, but are terrible listeners.

That is what I was trying to find out, Can you buy a chassis from Mack or not? Then you would probably need to buy a cab. Don't think the harness would be applicable

If you were adding pre emissions equipment. There is a company down south I believe that completes gliders for Paccar Western Star and Shacker

• Like 1

You could buy a fully dressed R or DM series cab assembled in an area close to shipping inside Macungie up till 3 years ago. The Chassis and door are stamped with the same Vin #, so i'm thinking it wouldn't matter how its ordered.