Alternator

It's been a while since I've posted but I found time to run the old R-600 again. After a new voltage regulator and new batteries and still not charging. I've decided to convert over to an alternator. I know this subject has been discussed many times but can I install the alternator and leave this a positive ground system? The alternator I have purchased is a Meritor ALT 1004. it appears to have three terminals on the back. I would rather not have to replace the battery cable ends because they are soldered on and are posiitve / negative post sized.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Only 28 years! Wow...should be like yesterday. I think you have successfully dated yourself Gearhead204. The fire engine I'm working with has been converted to an alternator for power but is still positive ground. It all works but I have no idea how or why. The alternator is a three wire hook up also. I guess I'm wondering why it matters other than when you put in a battery or wire something into the truck...Maybe you should just keep it positive ground for ease of the project.

For what that is worth...

Greg