MP 7 rolling coal

My 2007 Mack Granite with mp7 engine smokes black when under any strain. New air filter and fuel filters. Truck has good power and does not take any oil or antifeze. Another guy in my town has the same truck and his burns way cleaner than mine. Also has Allison 4500 RDS auto trans. Also when I start it up when its cold flakes of soot come out of the exhaust. I had this truck since 2010 it always would smoke some black smoke when under strain but not like now. Seems to be a little harder on fuel now also. Heard allot about EGR valves going bad could this be the cause ?

I cannot say about the Mp7, but the series 60 Detroit in the truck I drive done the same thing and it was the EGR....maybe someone else can tell you exactly what it is, but my guess is EGR

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

I do have a small leaking sound seems like its coming from under the passenger door. I was convinced that its the clamp around the flex pipe, but seems like I can't get rid of the leaking sound. My pickup had the same sound and it was a bolt broken off of the manifold, but the manifold seems fine with no sign of soot leaking out.

our 07 mp7 04 emissions had the exhaust gasket blow on it, it had the 1 style gasket that had the thick sealing bead around them, we replaced them with the metal gaskets. you could not hear them like the older macks and didnt show up as bad, we finally sprayed water around exhaust when cold and it showed up

Black smoke but now power issues.......

Usually if you have enough of a boost leak to cause heavy black smoke a lack of power issue comes with it. (Not always)

I've seen over fueling injectors with good boost. Whats your boost readings? I've got some other ideas but want to hear some numbers first.

My boost gauge maxs out at 40 psi and when the rpms are around 15 to 1600 the boost gauge goes up to 37 38 pounds of boost. I hear the turbo well in the exhaust. I put on a new turbo and. actuator 2 years ago because the actuator wasn't working right and Mack recomended to change the complete unit. Since the new turbo lots of boost on the gauge but that's when I started seeing more black smoke too.

Hey just saw your post. When I changed the turbo it came with the new actuator attached with it. My Mack dealer said I would just have to bolt it on. But its been since then that it began pushing out more black smoke. Lately seems like more. But maybe the actuator is out of adjustement.

• Like 1