Broken Spider Shaft? Still drives fine?

b615rich

I just bought a '59 B-75. It was a single axle, but a new frame was added with a twin screw set up on Reyco springs (unknown axle mfg., can't find any ID on the housing. Truck runs and drives great, I picked it up 250 miles away and drove it with no issues. I went to have the brakes done and the mechanic pulled one axle and said the spider was "blown apart." The odd thing is it drives perfectly, even with the power divider disengaged. He thought it might be locked but I know with one tire on wet ground it will spin, so I think it's out. Would it still drive fine? Any rebuilders in the NY area anyone would recommend? ANY ideas, comments, education welcome. Thanks.

to my way of thinking if a spider gear was blown as in broken it cant drive and sure as heck cant work as in like a diff big question is how can someone tell the spider gear is crook with out pulling the diff center out you sure cant see into the diff from the hub end or at least I cant

Paul

Thanks for replying. To answer what I know, the mechanic (very reputable shop, does heavy trucks only), said the spider "shaft" I assume that's the X shaped shaft with the gears on it. (?). Not brake related, the diff. He said he could see it through the axle tube. He put the axle back in and I drove away fine. Again, drives so nicely you'd never expect a problem. Anyone heard of these broken w/ no noises or drive ability issues? Any good drivetrain specialty shops near Newburgh NY, Danbury, CT, etc.? Thanks again.

Thanks again. A little more research and some say with the power divider off only the BACK. axle drives, some say only the FRONT. If the back were not driving may explain the lack of noise (?). Side note, I got a hold of the guy who put this together and he said rears are from a 70's - 80's Reo. i looked and the units are Eatons. Any other thoughts?

The power divider acts as a differential between the front and rear drive axles.....If open (or unlocked) all the power can flow to one wheel (on either axle).....when locked, both drives receive equal torque regardless of traction......

Hell, happened to me last week trying to back into our setup spot for the vac, off the side of a ramp down loading dock....i LOVE my cross locks.....all power, all wheels, ALL THE TIME......:)

(wasn't dumb enough to try to turn while all locked up on asphalt ;))

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

as said above the power should be equally divided between all wheels all of the time until a wheel starts to slip as that is what a diff does

when the power divider is in both axles have equal power regard less of if one axle is slipping ie crossing a real deep gutter and one axle in the air

when you have cross locks no matter what happens all wheels will keep on spinning ideal for sloppy slippery spots

I think you are getting some miss information from some people front and rear axles drive all the time weather diff lock is in or out

I still cant see how it would drive with a broken spider gear and if it did it would be real noisy and jump as it locks and unlocks as the bits move around

I think as I have said pull the center out and have a look or at least drain the oil and pull an axle out maybe go buy a cheap bore scope and have a look and you might be able see bits floating around inside can buy bore scopes for under $100 that way you can start to under stand whats going on or not going on

Paul

• 4 months later...

Fixed. Rebuilt carrier from Camereotas. Brakes, bearings, studs now still drives well but no worries. As for power divider it's definitely not engaged, one tire will spun on softground, over a ditch, etc. air valve is there but wires go nowhere. May try it someday but worry it may not disengage, etc. thanks for the input.

Fixed. Rebuilt carrier from Camereotas. Brakes, bearings, studs now still drives well but no worries. As for power divider it's definitely not engaged, one tire will spun on softground, over a ditch, etc. air valve is there but wires go nowhere. May try it someday but worry it may not disengage, etc. thanks for the input.