Square vs Round Fuel Tanks

I currently have a 200l (fn useless, gives about 500km average) round fuel tank on my granite. Sadly, there is nowhere else on the frame to mount an aux tank. I see lots of trucks running around with both square and "D" shaped tanks. I'm pretty good at math (ish), but I would like to know how much more capacity I could get if it were square......and maybe a rough estimate as to cost of a square or "D" shaped tank.

I was switched to hauling gravel for the vac, and lately have been running GTA (anywhere from downtown Toronto to Brampton/Mississauga) to Ayr and back up to three times a day, which means fuelling up EVERY FN TRIP....luckily there is a fuel depot for our supplier 7 mins from the pit, and a stones throw from the 401

I have measured the tank before, but my notes are in my truck.....30 something inches long and 18(?) inches across

Any insight is appreciated And I will post the dimensions tomorrow if someone can help....

Thanks in advance

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

and I thought you were a real Canadian... Eh.

measure for a square or oblong tank in METRIC and the capacity will be that in litres...

ask a five year old to explain it

:twothumbsup:

on a serious note, got any room between the rails not in the way of the driveline? or is that illegal? we used to have catwalk tanks on our tractors, will try and find old pics, maybe you don't have room with the lift ram there...

BC Mack

From my geometry memory and using your dimensions above:

Square tank = L x W x H = 30 x 18 x 18 = 9720 cubic inches

Round tank = L x pi x r^2 = 30 x 3.14 x 9^2 = 7630 cubic inches

convert to gallons by the ratio of 231 cubic inches to 1 US Gallon

Square tank = 42 gallons

Round tank = 33 gallons

bc mack:. Thanks eh *sniffle* I thought you and I were brothers lol

I may be a child of the metric system, but I still measure in inches.....because that how my tape is set up lol. Lift rams are either side mound low on the frame ahead of the front drive and the on the front of the rails....most of the space between the frame rails is air and hydraulic lines etc....and there's very little room between the head of the rails and the back of the cab......but it has crossed my mind to tuck tank(s) in where there is wasted space, but legality comes into question....i could get 10-15L here and there, but......

Reuhlz:. Thanks.....my "estimates" are WAY off apparently.....33 gals works out to 124 litres, I've run it pretty low and the actual amount to fill from 1/16th tank is over 200L.....but, 9 gallons would give about another 100km of range.....I'll use the formula provided to figure it out tomorrow.....

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

feet and inchs or metric depending on when you grew up in Australia some can only do metric or some can do imperial or smart buggers like me can do both with out even thinking and you bloody yanks made your gallons tons ect all wrong and then you all start yacking about how many pounds your gross weight is oh my god my brains gonna explode its all to much just when I thought I was smart LOL

Paul

do you blokes have step tanks over there hey and whats this hauling to Ayr you better drop in for a cuppa Ayr's my home town I'll get princess to bung some scones in the oven and chuck the kettle on

I guess if you have no idea what what I'm going on about then maybe theres two Ayrs in the world ?

feet and inchs or metric depending on when you grew up in Australia some can only do metric or some can do imperial or smart buggers like me can do both with out even thinking and you bloody yanks made your gallons tons ect all wrong and then you all start yacking about how many pounds your gross weight is oh my god my brains gonna explode its all to much just when I thought I was smart LOL

Paul

don't worry, Canadians have to compute and convert all this in our heads... imperial gals, us gals and litres... go into Safeway and the apples are price labelled in pounds but sold by the kilogram

I grew up in the UK, I was weighed in stones, bought our coal in hundredweights and sweets in ounces... the lorries were weighed in tons, hundredweights and quarters... and I placed my bet at the turf accountant where the track was measured in furlongs...

metric seems so easy... that's how many fingers I have.. ten... I think the Romans got it right..!!!!

BC Mack

• Like 1