Trying to pickup new to me Mack CX613

Howdy been a while since I have beenon the site here.

I Am in town (Denver) to pick up a 2001 CX613 427 Vision

This truck seams to have an oil leak behind the oil filters. Is that a common problem with these engines?

It looks to be coming from the filter mounting where it bolts to the block.

I had the Mack house look up the specs back home and they told me the engine had been up graded at the factory to a 460 when it was built. I am wondering if they were the same block for these two engines?

I have looked at one or two others and somthing about the oil cooler coming from the front of the engine on the drivers side seams to be different. One has a Heavey casting and this one seams to have a light weight metal tube.

I can not do much with the truck until Thursday when the owner gets back into town but I was able to walk around it and look it over. It seams to be in fair condition for the years, but has. Not had a real driver to keep it up as the bolt that the alternator pivots on is not even there and the adjusting bracket has bent enough that the. Back edge of the belt os wearing.

Well here I set at motel 6 waiting for the owner to return so I can get in side the truck and possibly get somthing hing done to it to get it headed home.

Another thing can any body tell me did the Vision CX and the Granite use the same headlight assembly? When I tried to do a search for a replacement nothing came up for the CX but one for the Granite came up that looks a lot like it.

For some reason I can't get this old iPad to let me up load any pictures

Bob

Bob Gil

If it an't a Mack could it really be a truck???

that is the oil cooler gasket leaking, Common problem.

need gasket AND O-rings.

Also, bolts are common to break-aluminum housing/steel bolts. Have some good removal tools and Heli-coils ready.

Engine block is the same, just some computer upgrades primarily

Overall, a very good motor-I have 720,000 on mine and haven't had real problems

make sure it has a newer radiator. Originals were alum./plastic-POS

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

i wish I could figure out how to post pictures here again but I think the programing on this old ipad will not let me up greade ti that new software.

i have been looking around for one of these trucks for a while now and I have looked at several that had over a million miles on them at a lot more than this one is. I found a 1998 that was said to be one of the factory test trucks it had 688,000 miles on it and he was asking 32,000 for it. I looked at it and it has a different oil cooler setup and filters above the oil filters that are on this one. it seam like there are several things on the 98 that are different from thie 2001s I have looked at. I am not sure if it wasw really a test truck and has up grades that are not on the others ornot but I could not afford the extra $20,000 to spen on it.

I was not too comfortable messing around the truck when I first found it until I was able to verify the vin nymber when I got back to the motel. I will look the radaitor over tomarrow a little better. I will fell better knowing that it is the right truck and the owner is not going to come up and try to shot me for messing with his truck.

I have been told this truck was first owned by a farm in Iowa and was only used seasonally and now only has 570,000 on it. The hood has been replaced i can tell from the paint no the undeside of it, so the radaitor might have been damaged at the same time I will look it over when I get back to the truck.

But from what I can see from walking around it and not being able to get inside and start it the old truck does not look too bad.

there again wish I could post pictures

Bob Gil

I've had real good luck with my 01 427. I had to replace the radiator the rest has been really minor things. good chance the truck would perform better had they left it at 427. change over oil color is a square alum plates stacked up instead of the round cooler mack has used for years.

I've had real good luck with my 01 427. I had to replace the radiator the rest has been really minor things. good chance the truck would perform better had they left it at 427. change over oil color is a square alum plates stacked up instead of the round cooler mack has used for years.

Are you saying the stacked oil cooler is better than the round one?

that looks like the difference I am seeing on the 2001 from the 1998 that I was looking at.

Bob Gil

I am not sure who had this one to start with I was told a farmer in Iowa.

Just walked around it again after riding the local public bus service to get a pivot bolt for the alternator.

Tried to check the radaitor out to see if it a might be the plastic one but I could only see the top that had some paint missing a a little surface rust and the bolt ends that held it on hope that means it's not plastic

Well I need to get a couple wenches and a breaker bar to put this bolt in and it should beready to go.

Bob Gil

I am not sure who had this one to start with I was told a farmer in Iowa.

Just walked around it again after riding the local public bus service to get a pivot bolt for the alternator.

Tried to check the radaitor out to see if it a might be the plastic one but I could only see the top that had some paint missing a a little surface rust and the bolt ends that held it on hope that means it's not plastic

Well I need to get a couple wenches and a breaker bar to put this bolt in and it should beready to go.

Bob Gil

Ok I was finally able to pick the truck up

The batteries were dead and it had to be jump started and there were a few other small issues to deal with but I have made it to Dumas Texas on the way home to Fort Worth.

I did not realize the ten speed had such a high overdrive this thing does 55 at 1400 65 at 1500 and 75 at 1600 and it runs well

I am a little concerned that the water temperature wants tk run about 150 is that ok while bobtailing

• Like 1

Bob Gil

The. Fan on this one came on at one time when I had it idling about 1000 rpms but I was not in the cab to see what yhe trmp was

I made it home 759 miles every thing went ok but when I ehut it off the batteries were too dead to restart.

Bob Gil

did you have the A/C on when the fan kicked in?

Alternator was prolly shot and they just didn't worry about it.

had just enough juice to keep you running.

OR, batteries were shot and you ran on alt. power.

Glad you made it home...Good luck

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I think the ac was on the whole time might have been why the fan kicked in.

I guess I should make sure the radaitor and all is good and clean while I am getting it ready to lease on where I want to work it.

The alternator works well the last owner had left the Lights on for over a week for at least two times in the last month and it pretty much killed to batteries. I think I am going to look into on of the Maxwell start moduals and see what that will do for it.

What is the best working range rpm wise to run this engine? Will it be too low if I work it between 1200 and 1600 rpms in the trucks I have driven in many years past that would be lugging them too low.

Bob Gil

That RPM range is good. 1200 is THE bottom for mine

But you found it was running 65 mph at about 1600

Good spot-fuel efficient, and can give a little to pass Werner

Ok now I have this thing hone where is the best reference for me to use for learning more about it.

Things like adjusting the clutch, and where all the lube zerts are and the little things like that to make sure I get them all and do them correctly

Bob Gil

Check with a MACK dealer about getting an operators manual

somewhere on this site is a readout of the fault codes (lightning bolt thingy)

Take a good 1/2 day with a grease gun and start at the very front. Look at any area that moves.

steering box, steering shaft. brakes, king pins top and bottom, with clutch pedal pushed-there is a grease fitting up there for throw out bearing, u-joints-hit both fittings to make sure both sides work, pitman arm, tie rod ends.

Grab hold of u-joints and push/pull to see if they move-may need to be replaced, center/carrier bearing-same thing, torque arms

check rears for fluid level, look at plug. it is magnetized so any metals would collect on it. Indication of a bearing going bad.

Is there signs of oil getting slung on tires inside-wheel seal bad

I know where the grease fittings are on mine and it still takes me 1&1/2 hours