Mack 18 speed

Is that a t318 or a t2180? i don't know when they switched. either way the first gear will be about 13.5 to 1 compared to 14.56 for a fuller 8ll like i assume your RD has. this wouldn't be that bad but i would be concerned that a ch probably doesn't have steep enough gears in the rears for off road work. My 1996 rd688s had 4.46 rears 24.5 tires and an 8ll and i thought it was the perfect on/off road truck. Sorry i can't be more help on the trans as i don't have much time with mack 18. i just wanted to remind you to think about the overall ratio when looking at a truck for off road.

I agree with Gearhead. maybe it is because it is in a cab over but the only 1 I ever drove a couple times is one stiff shifting sob. You get a workout for sure. With the right gearing you got some low gears in the basement

We run an 18 sp with 442 gears and I have no problem pulling 85000 out of a field. Most of the oilfield trucks around here are 18s as far as gears go I'm not sure what everybody runs but they are both on and off road. I do agree that you need to be Johnny on the spot when shifting but once you get used to it no problem.

Don't mean to hijack, but Wheeler got me thinking.....why shouldn't you change ranges in reverse? The syncros only work one way.....?

Just cause I wanna know lol :)

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

never drove a newer one, only 18 speed Mack I ever drove had two sticks but a local Milk company has 18 speeds I think in all of their visions. I know an old guy that works for the that probably drove ever truck ever made and i have heard what pretty much what everyone else says, they are stiff shifting. I think he also says some trucks have 13 or 15 speeds and some have 18 speeds. says if you change trucks often, it makes you think.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I run all 18 speeds in and out of yards and down the interstate. We love them. I change grease every 200,000 or so and only issue ever has been a weak snap ring. But once they're updated I've not had issues. We run 80,000+ and 3.86 gears and have no trouble pulling out of muddy yards or starting on hills. Low hole can be challenging to shift out of sometimes.

It causes damage to the synchroniser and sliding clutches and viods warranties as it is easily spotted on teardown. Also pre select all range and split shifts to avoid rapid wear. We see range shift failures in reverse quite often. Also see a lot of wear from not pre selecting ranges and splits. The T series of trans are stiffer to shift. Nothing shifts as easy as a worn out Eaton but in the correct application the Mack trans hold up better. Most of what we sell are Mack trans. Most dump trucks get the T310M and line haul get the T313 and lowboy's get the T318.

• Like 1

Also forgot if it is a CH dump truck make sure it has the correct front and rear axles and suspension for the application and that they double framed it. We see them all the time. A good DOT officer will spot the axles and suspension and red tag the truck. But there are very few of those officers. We see those trucks all the time. Most are built in Miami but we have seen some from Texas lately.

My Fuller 18's may be weaker in design and engineering but hold out just as well as my Mack 18. Our's run regional and go through the gears often in city traffic.

The Range syncro and output shaft c-clip are the worst parts of the Mack trans. Both must have the entire trans removed to replace. (unlike the Fuller)

The range syncro clutch pack from PAI seem to last longer and are 25% cheaper then Mack's.(Our local rebuilder agrees)

Otherwise the Fuller 18 is cheaper to repair and spec on a new unit, lighter and easier to service or rebulid then the Mack 18.

The Mack trans doesn't have a lot going for it besides it being built by Mack.

• 4 years later...