Fuel consumption

I have 2010 model Volvo 670 cummins isx engine in my fleet and have an issue with the fuel consumption. The inboard computer tells me that the truck is doing 6.7 mpg, and tell me 400 gallons used, however if I get the fuel receipts I'm between 70 to 160 gallons more used the driver claims. I don't like to shout they steeling fuel unless I have the proof. Is there a fuel manage device available that could be installed on the truck that collects data to compare. I have calculated the miles driven divided by gallons used and get 5.9 miles per gallon. This is happening on two truck in a fleet of 22. Any advice would be great to resolve this mystery.

Next week we will start using our new fuel cards, so I hope that gives me more control and instant data since the drive has to put mileage before pumping.

post-11018-0-30201000-1406168767_thumb.j

I'm not largely experienced with many vehicles but have never seen the onboard mileage calculations be correct. I think it is possible that they can be but I've never seen it. That's not much help I guess but when in doubt lock the fuel up and check it manually for a while. You can "calibrate" the readings against actual measurement and determine a multiplier to correct what the computer says if indeed it is off...

Good luck.

A 2010 getting almost 6 mpg on the dash dpesnt sound too far off to me, id see what you get off the new fuel cards and go from there if it was me.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The computer is off about 1/2 gal/mile. Not huge in my eyes(for a onboard type system), but when you are talking about such a large fuel capacity on a vehicle it can add up quickly for "missing gallons".

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks guys, I got the Comdata Fuel cards now and all drivers have to impute truck nr and mileage when fuel up . So now I can track it thru actual fuel pumped, calculating the miles thru the advised apps. In a meeting with all our drivers I told them that high fuel consumption can cost big money to the company so implemented a fuel challenge who can get the best fuel mileage.

• Like 1

I was until 4 weeks ago driving a 2012 T 800KW with the cummins in it and the fuel thing in the dash was close moste of the time unless I idled every much or ran the on board APu.

I put all of my fuel up into the fuel gauges and the average would vary from the in dash computer some but not a drastic amount.

Bob

Bob Gil

If it an't a Mack could it really be a truck???

My DD Series 60 says I am getting 7.46 mpg. If I put pencil to paper I am getting 6.78. I'm gonna try fuel gauges on Lets Truck, but don't believe your ECM. My IFTA report is more accurate.

Edited by Brandt