Mechanical or Electronic

My 96 RD with a E7 350 is mechanical (except for the speedo and tach) but I saw another member here with a 96' with a 427 that is electronic? What was going on during this time as far as the transition from mechanical to electronic? Was it just specific models or engine hp in 96' that got the electronics? When would my model have become electronic? I like the mechanical for sure just would like to understand the transition period from mech to elec.

If you have an electronic tach......you should have an electronic engine????.....On a mechanical E7, wasn't the tach off a drive near the pump????(like an E6)

Or am I forgetting something here on an E7???? I didnt work on very many E7 mechanicals.

If you have an electronic tach......you should have an electronic engine????.....On a mechanical E7, wasn't the tach off a drive near the pump????(like an E6)

Or am I forgetting something here on an E7???? I didnt work on very many E7 mechanicals.

I agree, if electronic tach...likely an electronic engine.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Mack started to test out speed and RPM stuff before going to the V-Mack one I think was on the bell housing and the other was on the tail shaft of the trane

BULLHUSK

PS the distributer did not have a tack drive or i'm sure they would have run thr RPM'S off of it!!!

• 6 months later...

I would think that if you could find a truck ser# for a electronic read 10sp. then it would be fairly easy to retrofit into a older truck I would think that the worm drive would need changed out for the cog style for the sensor to read, don't know if the housing is the same. I changed my rw over to a electronic tach, because my engine came out of a 92 cl and I didn't want to change it back to mechanical.

Quite a few of the "hot rod" gauge manufacturers make universal electronic speedo's and tachs. All universal and set with dip switches. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE