Granite tractors

There's a few running around here, mostly paving and demolition companies pulling low boys and landolls....

Next time I see one I'll try and snap some pics...:)

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I drive a Granite tractor and yes, I also wonder why there are very few Granite tractors. For one thing, for whatever the reason is, Mack sells the Granite as a straight truck and in the fine print somewhere at the bottom it says "can also be configured as a tractor." So maybe they don't really want to for some reason.

• Like 1

Around NYC and LI. most Mack tractors are day cab CLs and an occasional Titan. The majority of tractors pulling dump trailers lowboys or walking floors are KW & Petes.. My boss ran all Mack for years as many as 40 trailers and dump trucks. Now all the trailers are KW with a couple Pete's. Same goes for the dump trucks but at least out of 12 dump trucks 2 are Macks.

Local 282 Union Service

Are granite chassis alot heavier that cl chassis? That's really the only thing that comes to mind, high tare weight would do it.......

Being "geared" to vocational applications, they should be perfect heavy haul and the like....i dunno, just thinking out loud.

All the ones around here look to be about tri-axle dump truck WB minus the lift axle, almost like they were ordered as dumps, then modified for tractor use.....

Are granite chassis alot heavier that cl chassis? That's really the only thing that comes to mind, high tare weight would do it.......

Being "geared" to vocational applications, they should be perfect heavy haul and the like....i dunno, just thinking out loud.

All the ones around here look to be about tri-axle dump truck WB minus the lift axle, almost like they were ordered as dumps, then modified for tractor use.....

if anything a CL is alot more heavy duty then a granite.

• Like 1

Matt

The Granite has a slightly taller and thicker frame as standard, which can be ordered as an option on the CH, so i suspect the weight difference with the same specs is only a couple hundred pounds. One advantage the Granite has vs. the CH in axle forward spec is better aerodynamics with it's more rounded hood. But an honest Mack saleman told me the real reason we see so few Granite tractors- The CH and CX are priced a couple thousand dollars cheaper than a Granite!

• Like 1

I spec'd and priced a Granite daycab tractor and was surprised that the granite was quite a bit heavier then a similar CXU and Thousands more then the CXU.

The Granite just has a real tough look about it and really wanted something different then the Pinnacle which we already have a few.

I was told a story that a Canadian heavy hauler fleet wanted to spec a CXU with heavy frame and a 16K lb front axle with a lift for moving large concrete overpass girders. (I know the fleet and they have been buying Mack since the 50's)

The customer needed the 16 fronts and wanted the CXU as they have over 100 of them between the 2 fleets they operate.

Mack engineering would not approve a 16 front axle and the dealer had no choice but to switch the quoted trucks to Granites (with the exact same specs as the CXU's) that were available with 16 fronts. The pricing shot the quote up so far they lost the deal for 6 or so units. They have ordered more CXU's since then and saw a few on the line at Macungie in June.

The Granites ended up more expensive then the WesternStar's they ended up taking with DD15 power.

The Salesman was pissed!!! and Very disappointed in Mack's Eng. department. (He could get that axle on a VN Volvo by the way)

What a surprise. Volvo pushing their weight around. The guy at mack told us in June while at the factory mack could build us any truck we wanted spec'd any way. I started laughing.

Horse Pucky!!!! That guy at Mack must be a professional door greeter at the plant.....

The worst part of that story.....The salesman was a former Mack Canada Engineer from Oakville....where when customers said we need this on our next order they went out of their way to make it fit if they could. He was so pissed!!!

My dad talked to each guy there and one of them was trying to be nice but was an old timer from the original mack and was like yeah its not like it use to be for sure. He also complained to each one about the poor build quality of our only new truck we bought and probably will ever buy. I was impressed by the factory though. Their painting operation is impressive.

Anyway a biofuel company in New Haven who is from NY has 2 new sharp looking granite tractors pulling tankers. Green and white with multiple stripes. Ill try to get a picture next time im down there.

• Like 2

Matt

Weight, price, and lack of sleeper options keep customers in Pinnacles for tractor applications. But they make a great looking and very durable lowboy and heavy tractor!

It's funny that the first 3 things you mentioned about why guys buy Pinnacles instead of Granites are the same reasons why most customers won't buy Titans.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to the Mack reps at mid America about all this stuff again this year. Mack is supposedly going to have the CH-CX chassis available with a 16k steer this year, supposedly the frame was not strong enough to support a heavier axle than a 14600#. I said well if you can build me a CH with an 18k steer build me a granite with a 60" sleeper. Of course the answer was no they apparently can't do that because the cabs are different. I talked to them for probably an hour and got no where and finally said well sell me a 60" sleeper and a day cab granite and I'll do it myself. Again it was we can't sell just the sleeper, mack does not seem to even want to deal with people anymore, they told me if I wanted a heavy haul tractor I wanted a titan anyway. My reply was you don't make a big sleeper for the titan either and its 2000# heavier. I was told it wasn't really that much heavier and the sleeper was roomy enough to get a good nights rest,HA!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I talked to the Mack reps at mid America about all this stuff again this year. Mack is supposedly going to have the CH-CX chassis available with a 16k steer this year, supposedly the frame was not strong enough to support a heavier axle than a 14600#. I said well if you can build me a CH with an 18k steer build me a granite with a 60" sleeper. Of course the answer was no they apparently can't do that because the cabs are different. I talked to them for probably an hour and got no where and finally said well sell me a 60" sleeper and a day cab granite and I'll do it myself. Again it was we can't sell just the sleeper, mack does not seem to even want to deal with people anymore, they told me if I wanted a heavy haul tractor I wanted a titan anyway. My reply was you don't make a big sleeper for the titan either and its 2000# heavier. I was told it wasn't really that much heavier and the sleeper was roomy enough to get a good nights rest,HA!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• Like 1

You can order just a trimmed sleeper from Mack the same way you can order a groomed replacement cab. You could order a groomed RD/DM cab up until 2 years ago.

The frame being to weak is also B.S. as The 9" frame on 1 of My Pinnacles is huge and the same rail the Volvo heavy spec VN is available with up to an 18,000lb front.

The issue sounds more like Mack Reps. who don't have a clue (And they are abundant these days)Its not like the old days where Mack Guys cared about the brand the sell and Mack trained the hell out of its reps.

Our dealer up here has ordered Bunks etc for wreck replacements and customer requests.

Saw one yesterday as I was leaving Toronto on the 404..... The older series granite (cv I think) pulling an ex on a lowboy..... Looked to be an old dump tha was converted.....super long WB and a day cab.

• Like 1

La Rue Haulage up in Ravenshoe Ont. Has a Granite CV tractor from factory. 222" wheelbase day cab hauling gravel. It was a gutless whore 405hp (Internal EGR AI) originally but messed with the Cam and ECM so I was told. Can't confirm what they got after messing with the EGR system. Was the tractor you saw Black with yellow?