2014 Mack Macungie Plant visit

I was disappointed to see majority of the trucks NOT have mack rears. And i believe there were only 2 frames that i saw that were camel back. One MR with the funky volvo spring ride.

Yeah, lots of "corporate" parts.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I can't imagine that even the most radical environmentalist could look at the back of the purple MR and think "yeah, this is a good thing".

A lot of toasters were crushed to make all that crap.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

And doesn't it all look cheap-or poorly put together? at least that is the way it struck me. Other thing-did anyone notice a lot of the inventory boxes?,,labels, "made in Malaysia", "made in Mexico" etc. then again why should that surprise me.

On other thing about that purple MR with the two leaf suspension- I think that was the one that had 315's on the rear-there was about an inch and a half of space between the duals-can you imagine the heat if one of those was low on air and it was loaded to the max...hmnn..."I smell smoke"

Our tour guide on the bus said..."you won't see any robots here- all built by hand" I was surprised then thought about it-of course- they don't make anything there -it all comes in as modules-complete cabs, complete hoods etc.

In any case clean a a whistle-hope they make it in the long term.

Oh and sad to say-never saw a spoke wheel! but now I'm showing my age!

A 2014 Titan tridem

Now that was a beast- guide said it was going to an oil field service company in Canada. I thought at first they were going to mount some sort of processing equipment on it (Mega pump/compressor etc) then looked at back of cab- its a tractor! I think weight tag on door said 27,000!

Tri drive is also replacing some of the old uses for lift axles here in Ontario. You can't lift axles on corners here anymore and the self steer liftables are very problematic. Most are going with the fixed axle that gives more traction in our wonderful winters. I'm starting to see tandem steer cement mixers with tri-drive axles on the rear in downtown Toronto. (Metrix ready-mix)

That Tri-drive Titan is for Trimac in Western Canada. Same Trimac as you see in the US.

There were a few trucks for John Grant Haulage on the line over the weekend. (cab and hood half blue and half white) I was a mechanic there. They ordered Air Disc brakes but had Mack engineering approve those brakes with steel hubs not aluminum. The aluminum hubs get to hot and cause bearing race issues over time. (As with some of the Freightliners they have) With the 120,000-135,000lb gross weights Grant Hauls, those discs were going to get to hot for those hubs.