Handling issues on 2014 CHU

I'm the very disappointed owner of a 2014 CHU that wanders all over the road like a coyote chasing gophers from ditch to ditch. Have had alignment checked twice at 2 different shops and they both say it's good. Steering box has been replaced under warranty and it didn't help at all. Got rid of the factory Bridgestone steer tires and replaced with Michelins which improved it slightly, but still darts side to side at the slightest rut or twist in the road.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention it only has 80,000km on it. Anybody have any ideas, cause the dealership sure don't?

5000kgs on the steers seems light to me.....my granite roll off is over 7000kgs empty. If the drives are crooked it would wanna follow them.....air ride or other?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Drives line up perfect. Thrust angles are dead on. It's got the new Twin Y suspension on the back and Mack 14200 steer axle. I know of 2 other owners of the same model having the same problem. One has Hendrickson and the other has NeWay suspension.

Sorry I didn't get back yesterday. My alignment guy says the toe and caster are a little off and might cause some wonder. He asked me if the inspection procedure which is a bullitin for the twin Y suspension has been done? Also he would like the alignment measurments of the rears if possible.

There are some new top secret bronze bottom king pin bushings that just came out. The dealers DSM should be contacted and get the new bushings installed. Part # 4103-7421416557. This is for the FXL sealed hub style axle.

Thanks for the info. Just talked to the service manager, since mine is in the dealership with the tranny out for the second time in 3 weeks, and he asked me how the hell I found out about the bushings since they only heard about it this week.

Too funny.

• Like 1

My alignment guy said its good. Unfortunately its hard to change camber as it is factory set. The only way is to bend the beam which Mack does not allow.

OK Thanks.

I was thinking that having both sides slightly negative would be the way to go.

My older Mack service manual in the alignment section says that "Castor should not vary more than 0`30' from side to side." Maybe your dealer could tighten up the "range" that your castor is set at now so that Both sides would be equal at 4 degrees or 4.2 degrees.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thanks for the info. Just talked to the service manager, since mine is in the dealership with the tranny out for the second time in 3 weeks, and he asked me how the hell I found out about the bushings since they only heard about it this week.

Too funny.

Its just not offical yet and has to be approved by a DSM ( to get Mack to cover it under warranty or goodwill). We put the bushings in ( dont ream them, you want them tight) and install the steering damper/stabilizer. If that dont fix it, they have a new thicker front axle to install ( but this is rare). The newest trucks coming out just started having the heavier axle beam and bronze bushings. This all came out about 2 months ago but like I said still not official.

We are experiencing the same problem with a chassis in our shop. The customer has bought 6 and all are doing the same thing. Only one tractor is here in Tulsa. We havent found the problem and neither has the Mack factory. Ill post if we solve the problem. I drove the tractor for about 5 miles and brought it back. Scared me and I dont easily get scared.

• Like 1

unspoken rule #1 if its new and has a problem "your the only one complaining about this condition" once you leave the service managers office it's awwhh fu#$ not another one of these piles of shit!!!! will echo off the office walls.

• Like 1