Air Wipers on superliner won't work

The air wipers on my superliner are not operating. The air is bleeding out of the valve/switch. If I pull the wipers up it will go back down just not up. I've heard other people say take the motor off and clean it out but I'm not sure how to get the wiper motor off the linkage.

On mine, there was a housing in the middle of the motor with two bolts that held the linkage to the motor. That housing held a gear that rode on the rack inside the motor. Not sure how they did it with newer trucks? I don't have a picture handy.

There should be some valving in one end of the motor(should be the end with the hoses attached). If that gets sticky, it will not reverse the direction of the motor.

Does the dash control leak air? Could be the valve?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I'm not sure about the newer trucks either. The wiper motor on my B is a Trico Folberth and it is stuck in the park position. I took the motor off today and using shop air on the inlet valve it will go one direction and stop. If you put the air to the park valve it will travel back and stop. I took the motor apart and there is a mechanism in there that looks like it is supposed to reverse the air flow from the inlet valve to a lower valve. I didn't find any blockage or krud in there or in the valving. It seems the reversing mechanism needs adjusting but I don't see how to do that.

I see 2 bolts that hold the motor to the cap but I'm not sure how to unbolt it from the linkage inside the cab. Also my control knob is the pull type and its working fine. I actually replaced it hoping that was the problem but it still exsists. Soon as u pull the knob it won't do anything. When the wiper knob is pushed in or in the off position air leaks from the wiper on off valve for some reason. Any ideas?

I don't have a picture but mine had two bolts (one on each side) holding the plate on the back of the wiper motor to the firewall. Once the air lines and the two bolts were off the wiper motor pulled out of a socket that connects to the wiper linkage.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine are running slow. I was also looking to take the motor off and clean it. I haven't tried yet, but if you remove the top dashboard peice above were the headlight switch is you can see where its coming though the firewall and on mine it looks like there are two snap rings holding the arms on (as HarryS stated)

• 10 months later...

I removed the wiper air motor off my Bro's R600 Econodyne today (approx 1976 DOM) as the wipers ceased working all together. Easy to remove, two airlines and two bolts and a little juggle freed it from the receptacle in front of the firewall. Thankfully nothing to detach from the rear as the heater assy would have needed to be removed.

Didn't record the make of the motor though it has a flap in the motor that oscillates in an approx 100 deg arc. I'd call it a swing motor. Was full of gunk that washed out relatively easy with solvent. There was a lot of play in the swing flap shaft and bushing and the sealing Oring had hardened with age. This allowed air to escape to both sides of the flap stopping any motion. In the fullness of time I will machine a new bronze bush. I renewed the Oring with the best fitting one I could find and following lubing averything with silicon spray I reassembled and refitted it to the rig.

The wipers are working great now though they are not parking, something more to investigate.

Cheers

Graz

So there were no snap rings to remove on the inside?

No. Just takes a bit of a jiggle to free it from the "yolk" on the forward side of the firewall. Maybe different on your model though.