Junk Yard along Northeast Extension

yarnall

Yeah my hands are kind of full at the moment.....LOL. But where exactly along the NE Extension is this, you never know- wrong turns have been made before in the name of curiosity.

The logo on that COE A-Car looks like it may be an old PECO logo but not 100% sure.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

That's the place. My father was by last week and said they were cleaning up the brush like they were getting ready to clean up the trucks. We were in there years ago and there were a hundred or more trucks. When I was in 4 years ago there were about twenty. I need to dig up the old pictures because there was some good stuff. Mike

I am not familiar. That's way north of me. I rarely get on the extension north of 78/22/309. In fact the last time I think was labor day weekend back in 2010 to go to Steam Fest at Steamtown NHS in Scranton. I never travel on major interstates (especially ones leading to the Poconos) on holiday weekends but this was in the name of steam locomotives.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Is this just south of the Turnpike Shops south of the tunnel???

If so go north on either PA 248 or PA 145. Or get off the Pike at the Leighton exit, go toward Leighton and turn back south on PA 248 thru the water gap. They come together just south of the Leigh River water gap between Berlinsville and Palmerton. When you get to the gap turn west across the river bridge. At the west end of the bridge bear right up the steep hill toward Slatedale. The Pike shops are out there about 3-4 miles. I forget exactly where the east side frontage road is??? The west side frontage road will take you into Slatedale. Turn left and follow it out to the dead end and turn left again toward Slatington. This will take you back under the Pike along the creek under the bridge at the bottom of the big dip on the Pike just south of the Pike shops.

Also if you go north on 309 and turn right in front of the Neffs church that road will take you toward Slatington. There is a restraunt on your left, just past that the roard makes a hard right curve and another road bears off to the left right in the curve toward Slatedale. I cannot remember the exact turns anymore??

• Like 1

Brocky

I have some info about this place.It was where a fellow by the name of Jack Jones would park his stuff years back.Jack has since past.I don't know if he owned the property.One of my old drivers from that area has been there.He said if I come up to his place he will take to it.I may take him up on the offer either Monday or Tuesday suppose to be a wet one here,so I will have the time to kill.

Brocky,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Mike D,

If you get to talk to anyone see if they will sell parts or whole trucks. I would really like some parts off the Autocar. There is a very short dump trailer there that would be worth saving, maybe 20 feet long. And I could get that air filter for Maddog.

Mike

That Jack Jones was a used truck dealer in the north Allentown area. I think he spent some time at the Lewistown Federal minimum security country club along with Sweichart (sp??) the Diamond REO / Marmon dealer, East Penn Trucking of Leighton for a stolen parts / chop shop operation in the early 80's.

Brocky

guess the air filter is long gone eh Mike? haha id at least like the velocity stack off one of those turbo air cleaners for mine to get the damn thing to stop hitting he vent window. id pay a fair price and shipping if anyone has an original B model one. looks like all those blue trucks might have came from the same stable??

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

the trucks along turnpike i am pretty sure belong to ed zeigler he used to be in garbage disposal buisness i believe he retired and still livies in slateington

Yep. I was told if I wanted to find him I need to go to the VFW in Slatington. The light blue trucks are from Alpo.

post-7810-0-73735700-1398684021_thumb.jp. Mike

• Like 1

Mike

Thanks for the pictures..

Glad to hear my old time directions got you close enough to find it...been most 30 year since I worked in that area..

Not to be picky, but your first picture is a Diamond T, pre 1960 with the IH Compfovision cab, not a Diamond Reo with either a Reo or Acar cab...

Brocky