brake chamber slow release

sww943

I guess I would start with seeing if the cams are free. Unhook or loosen slack adjuster and see if you can rotate by hand easily. If that is good, then I would start with air lines. Maybe one of the rubber lines has a flapper in it and slowing the release?

Is there only one quick release for both axles? If two, check to see if both feel the same on the exhaust port. Is the one taking a touch longer to expel?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Easy way to see if it is the quick release is to loosen the air line and see if it is holding any air. On my R the rear was slow to release loosened the air line at the t split mounted on rear axle and it had some residual air took the quick release off and disassembled it and cleaned it because it is aluminum alloy it has a tendancy to corrode and can stick. Cleaned mine up then sprayed with wd 40 to slow the process again been a year- they are not expensive if you need to replace.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

thanks for the advice men, i have replaced the quick release valves and the rear relay valve, the brake chambers are almost new with excellant linings, i even lubed the foot valve- not removed and same old prob, with back axle, when drain the air system then rebuild it with air, and release the in cab parking brake, the chambers retract, then after depressing the foot brake, the back chambers stay in the extended position. im not really sure what to try next????

scott

Did you check to see if the rear brake line is holding air at the t split?

Did you recently have the brake shoes replaced? If so did the replace the brake hardware and springs correctly?

Post some pictures of the valves that you replaced so we can tell what you call a valve is the same as what we call it.

• Like 1

Robert

I'm still wondering if it is an air line issue? Time to install a pressure guage, like right at one of the chambers(service side) and watch pressure. After releasing pedal, does it drop quick? No, then try back at the q/r valve. Does it drop quick there?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

evening,

ended the day where we have started, both quick release valves are replaced, both of the relay valves are replaced( square boxes with 5-6 ports). removed the slack adjuster from the clevis and backed off, the s cam moves freely and is well greased, the rear chambers will retract once all air pressure is out of the system and you refill the system to normal pressure, release the parking brake and it retracts in, mash on the foot valve and it stays outward, im guessing now it is in the foot valve??

thanks

Edited by sww943
  • Like 1

my advice is work backward, pull application line at air can is air present ? if so go to relay valve remove control line from relay valve is air present ? if so chase control line to treddle valve. if coming from treddle valve is brake pedal moving freely? is plunger free to travel?

Air Brakes Troubleshooting 101

Slow or No Release of Brakes

POSSIBLE CAUSES:
1. Hinge Pin on Brake Pedal
2. Air Delivery Lines restricted
3. Control Line restricted (Delivery of Brake (Foot) Valve to Service Port of Relay restricted)
4. Relay Valve not exhausting
5. Quick Release Valve not exhausting
6. Brake (Foot) Valve not exhausting
7. Binding parts in the Foundation Brake

Step #1

Check Hinge Pin in Brake Pedal. If free, go to Step #2.

Step #2

Have an assistant make a brake application and release.
Listen for exhaust noise from the exhaust ports of: Relay Valve
Quick Release Valve
Brake (Foot) Valve If there are no exhaust noises, go to Step #3.
If exhaust is normal, go to Step #4.

Step #3

Check for restrictions in all Delivery Lines from the Valve that is not exhausting. If a kink or dent is not found, remove and check internally.

NOTES: Line could be plugged or may have been crimped with vice grips or pliers.
If line is free of restrictions, replace or repair valve.

Step #4

Check S-Cam. It should rotate freely (Cam Brakes).
Check Anchor-Pins (Cam Brakes).
Check Wedge Assembly and Actuation Housing (Wedge Brakes).
Check Clevis Pin in Slack Adjuster. It should rotate freely (Cam Brakes).

Robert

we have a solution to the problem, one of the relay valves was hanging, the replacement part was just as bad as the origional, i used a less costly overseas brand and the tolerences were to tight inside for proper travel. lesson learned,

thanks for all the ideas