FDNY Super Pumper System.

Terry T

This may have been discussed here before but I missed it. I have been fascinated with the Super Pumper System since I learned of it many years ago. I even have an "FDNY Super Pumper System" T-shirt & the Code 3 Collectibles models. This web page is the most informative that I have found about the system.

http://www.fireengines.net/reviews/sp/history.htm

Terry if you are not aware, both the SP and the ST are alive. The ST has been fully restored to it's original glory and lives in SoCal and is seen regularly on the parade and muster circuits.

The SP was purchased by a gentleman in Michigan who performed a horribly done cosmetic restoration- it looks like he rattle-can painted it, and painted right over existing rust at that. The tractor's engine blew, and has been removed. To the best of anyone's knowledge, the pump engine has not been run in years and it's disposition is not known, other than "it is there." The only saving grace is that the whole thing is stored inside a building out of the weather.

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Yep. If there is one item in Mack's history that deserves to be preserved at the Mack Museum it would have to be the super pumper system. What a shame it got away.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

There is a great book by Squadron on Pumpers. It shows the entire Super Pumper System, The two tractor trailer units and the 4 satellite units.

The pumper engine is a British Napier-Deltic 18 cylinder turbocharged and blown 2400 horsepower diesel engine....The last quoted price on a rebuild was over $75,000.00.about 15 or 20 years ago.

This is one of the MACK satellite trucks for the pumper system. Paul

post-3242-0-92767200-1395762909.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The Super Tender has a shift problem. It is a air shift allison and is leaking air below the shift lever. Anybody ever worked one? I assume 0-rings but have not taken it apart yet. I have to get my friends Packard ambulance done before I can work on our junk. The out riggers stopped working also. Arn't old trucks fun?

The Super Tender has a shift problem. It is a air shift allison and is leaking air below the shift lever. Anybody ever worked one? I assume 0-rings but have not taken it apart yet. I have to get my friends Packard ambulance done before I can work on our junk. The out riggers stopped working also. Arn't old trucks fun?

Hey Hewy I don't know if you remember me or not but quite a few years ago my add in the Visiting Fireman said that I was a big Superpumper nut, and you were kind enough to call me out of the blue and spend some time on the phone with a teenage kid who was an up-and-coming FDNY buff and aspiring career firefighter!!!! I remember to this day and always appreciated your kindness!!!!

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Nice to "meet'' the Super Pumper Caretaker. Welcome. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Spare pump engine for the Super Pumper is still in crate and is on Long Island and for sale.

The Napier-Deltic Diesel Where on L.I.? The only other one I saw was in Philly Navy Yard. Paul

post-3242-0-92681100-1395889257_thumb.jp

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

When the New Jersey was there along with some items going to be displayed at it's final berth was a N.D. on loan from Penngrove Power Museum in California. It was out of CF-26 which was a early 50's coastal freighter. The last I knew the N.D. was on display at the Intrepid Museum. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul it is/was at Firematic in East Yaphank the Pierce dealer for our area. Saw it with my own to eyes and was for sale as of feb2013 when I was out there. I design the rigs for our dept and the owner told me he bought it from the city when the super pumper went out of service still in a large create. He wanted a lot of cash for it. Angelo. PS its on Ramsay road I guess not to far from you !

Paul it is/was at Firematic in East Yaphank the Pierce dealer for our area. Saw it with my own to eyes and was for sale as of feb2013 when I was out there. I design the rigs for our dept and the owner told me he bought it from the city when the super pumper went out of service still in a large create. He wanted a lot of cash for it. Angelo. PS its on Ramsay road I guess not to far from you !

I deal with Firematic on their Stump Jumper chassis trade ins. I'll have to stop in an ask about it.

I though I saw somewhere that Satellite 3 (a '65 Mack) was still in service in Conn.

P.T.CHESHIRE

the satellite truck in connecticut is the 1982 American la France maxi-water unit. It belongs to the Long Hill Fire Dept and I happen to be the Chief of the department.

Is any of it from the original 1965 system or all ALF? Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hello Chief Doug,

Any chance you can post a photo of satellite 3. It would be great to see it at the Pump Primers show in Harrisburg Pa on July 12, 2014. If you have never been there they typically have around 50 trucks drafting along the river. I'm sure we could easily find volunteers to supply lines to the 4,000 gpm monitor. I myself am not normally an ALF follower but seeing as the Satellite truck was made to support a Mack product I can bend on this one. Also if you have any photos of Engine 205 since it returned home from Westport, New Canaan and a brief visit to Stamford we would also like to see it.

Thanks,

Don Holden