'66 R Model Restoration

Well Ive finally begun the restoration on my 66 R600. Im hoping to have it done by the beginning of summer, and I have a lot of work ahead of me so I figured I should start somewhere. I started on the interior today, gutting the dash so that i can rewire the truck and clean the mess the mice have made in there over the years. Since I plan to rewire everything, I think I am going to switch over to a neg ground system just for simplicity of adding anything later. From what I understand, to convert to neg ground, I have to

-switch battery leads to starter

-reverse the amp meter leads

-reverse temp gauge leads

-reverse the connections at the heater motor

-install an alternator with a rectifier for Neg ground, unless it is a floating ground alt.

Am I forgetting anything?

Also, the truck has some original gauges, but some have been replaced with aftermarkets. I would like to have all matching gauges, so I was wondering If anyone knew of any places that may do gauge restoration at a resonable cost? I could find the missing original gauges and send them all out to be restored, or does anyone know of an aftermarket gauge manufacturer that sells gauges that would work in these trucks (air psi, 3k tach, etc). I have seen some "old school" looking gauges that look really sharp but they dont make the appropriate gauges that I need like previously metioned.

And one other question, I am going to repaint the interior the original mack green, I was wondering if the R models used the same green color as the B models? Ive heard the newer the truck, the less metallic the paint will have, due to being what was left from the batches of paint the factory had, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any input

-Justin

Barry has the original style wings gauges. also Stewart Warner still carries them or they are available on ebay. BCR Al on here has the correct paint code for the earlier R models . its a GM color match, no metallic at all. think its GM code 503 Dupont.Centari. the 65-70 R models with the Corvette dash were a mint green color, 70-72 had a nasty olive drab color usually.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Barry has the original style wings gauges. also Stewart Warner still carries them or they are available on ebay. BCR Al on here has the correct paint code for the earlier R models . its a GM color match, no metallic at all. think its GM code 503 Dupont.Centari. the 65-70 R models with the Corvette dash were a mint green color, 70-72 had a nasty olive drab color usually.

Great thanks for the info! Who is Barry that you say has the original style gauges? And as for the paint thank you, I didn't realize there was that much of a difference. I will look into it to make sure on the paint code.

Great thanks for the info! Who is Barry that you say has the original style gauges? And as for the paint thank you, I didn't realize there was that much of a difference. I will look into it to make sure on the paint code.

Barry is the guy who created this site and works at Watts Mack in Pa.

• Like 2

Matt

I checked with Bobs About changing my Superliner gauges to white face, he said around $2000.

Ouch that's a lot of money just for gauges, I like the look of the white faces but I can't see spending that much right now! There is a superliner on YouTube with them and it looks really good, I believe it's the Australia Heavy Haulage truck that is in a few videos.

My experience is you can find almost anything you need for a restoration if you look long and hard enough. Check eBay every day, attend as many flea markets as you can, try various search engine searches under as many listings as you think someone might list what you are looking for under, and put the word out to as many folks as possible about what you are looking for.

I just located a pair of tail lights for my 25 AB that I have never seen anywhere on eBay. If you had asked me about those lights two weeks ago I would have bet a hundred bucks I was never going to find them. The 30 - 45 minutes I spend searching the internet each day for needed parts finally paid off.

The gauges you are looking for will turn up somewhere at a price you want to pay.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Ok i will continue to look, I've found a couple here and there but they are what I already have. Just out of curiosity, would anyone have a picture of an original early r model gauge cluster? I've seen a couple other old gauges but I am unsure if they are the correct ones, and i haven't found much from searching yet. Thanks again for all the info!

Justin, Matt is correct on the DuPont 503 green,but it was also tinted to match the Mack interior green needed.I do not have the formula,but taking a panel (that has not seen sunlight-back of glove box door,back of center dash panel,etc.) to a good auto paint store,they should be able to match it for you. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 6 months later...

Near as I can tell Justin,the R's had stickers for the shift patterns and the operating range. I used a B model shift pattern plate in my truck (seeing it is part B anyway!). The operating range plate for B could be used. Probably easier to find than the decal.Although these decal guys can make just about anything these days,with a good example. (Had to dig into the BCR's cab a little too!) Al

post-510-0-96626300-1413254215_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Ok cool I didn't realize they were stickers in these trucks. I know someone who can make decals, I'm sure I could find a good example online for him to copy from.

Looks like quite the job on that floor! Luckily mine didn't get to that point, I only have a couple small spots I can cut out and replace. Soon as I'm done with the cab corner and rocker.

post-17552-0-69405000-1413287868_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 10 months later...