MP8 505 Pinnacle

I just noticed we havent gotten any real input from drivers of the newer MP8 505 engines as to how they are doing in the Pinnacle chassis. Im curious about how they stack up on power, mileage and all around driveability, anybody care to comment? oh pics please!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Big M out of Ms has 2, 14's. One is getting 6.8 and the other getting 7.0. I'm going with the 505hp M-Drive direct,2:66 s40 rears,disc brakes..By the way Big M fuel was on current runs to Denver and MN. without apu. and under 30000 miles.Winter driving.

a buddy of mine (ran an EPA07 gu813 with dpf trouble) got his 2014 GU813 mp8-505 this past week. Gonna see him for a few pops this weekend, I'll report back with what I find out.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Just got build sheet for "2015" CXU613.10 pages and I have a headache.Going over details and have no idea what the lingo is on some.I want to see results on your GU813.Thinking on MP8 505E with eco boost.Caught between 2:54 and 2:66 rears,S40's.M-drive direct.

From 2.54-2.66 you shouldn't be able to tell a difference, that's like the difference between 4.42 and 4.64 its probably about 100 rpm.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

With direct top gear the math says its 60 rpm.

Doesn't the 445 and the 505 both have the same torque rating. 1760 right.

Thats what I thought too....

Shane is going from an MP7 to an MP8, both with Eaton 8LL, he should notice the 250+ft/lbs torque gain, but I could definitely agree on not feeling 445 vs 505 hp.....

Which basically equates to feeding more horses for the same pull.......I have already de-rated our 505 to 445 for that reason.

Its about a half a mile per gallon saving and I'm hearing its a common complaint of the less then impressive 505 rating.

Initially our 505 with 370 gears was hauling equal loads/lanes to our 445 with 355 gears. Running together the 445 would outpull the 505.

They put cups and injectors on the 505, (20,000kms) did 3 live downloads on both trucks, dyno'ed the 505 on Mack's dime and still can't to this day explain why the 505 was such a dud.

We just derated it and ran it. Mack/Volvo washed their hands of it

The Tech's at Volvo head office admitted through the downloads that the 505 was using more "energy" to produce the 505 power but had no explanation as to why it was sucking fuel to the tune of 6mpg compared to the 8mpg (445)(taking gears etc into consideration.)

Reminds me of the 454 E7 that had a crappier torque rise then the 427 E7.

Which basically equates to feeding more horses for the same pull.......I have already de-rated our 505 to 445 for that reason.

Its about a half a mile per gallon saving and I'm hearing its a common complaint of the less then impressive 505 rating.

Initially our 505 with 370 gears was hauling equal loads/lanes to our 445 with 355 gears. Running together the 445 would outpull the 505.

They put cups and injectors on the 505, (20,000kms) did 3 live downloads on both trucks, dyno'ed the 505 on Mack's dime and still can't to this day explain why the 505 was such a dud.

We just derated it and ran it. Mack/Volvo washed their hands of it

The Tech's at Volvo head office admitted through the downloads that the 505 was using more "energy" to produce the 505 power but had no explanation as to why it was sucking fuel to the tune of 6mpg compared to the 8mpg (445)(taking gears etc into consideration.)

Reminds me of the 454 E7 that had a crappier torque rise then the 427 E7.

what engine family are you running? Maxicruise or econodyne? How do your trucks perform vs other brands ?

We currently run MP8 Econodyne. We ran some Maxicruise in some of the ASET's we had and were impressed with power of the 355/380hp for hauling 80,000 gross into the states. They pulled as good as the pig 460xt's we had.

Our trucks usually run along side of Freightliner Cascadias with DD15 power in the 515hp range or Volvo's with D13's.

You can guess how the Volvo's fair (LOL) but the Cascadia's have the same issues our Macks do. They get the 7-8mpg we get on our 445 MP8 grossing 80K in the same lanes etc.

The Cascadia is a lot roomier then our dogs and I face that complaint from half of my drivers on a daily basis. I'm still happy with the Mack product and the support I get from the dealer network. There is no such thing as a perfect product or support network behind it so why change if the bills are being paid and the pride hasn't faded in your vehicular investment.

I'm still Mack and will remain that way for the foreseeable future with the hopes of highway product improvements coming down the pipe.

• Like 2

Keep running the macks. You sound alot like my dad. We've always been a Mack fleet. We stuck by them through the etech problems . Luckily we didn't have to many problems with them and we didn't ever buy any aset macks as we did a couple glider kits instead. We love our new titans. As far as cascadias go theres to damn many of those on the road stick with the macks lol.

• Like 2

the 445 rating is pretty sweet for a 13 liter engine if you think about it, at 505 it would be a true beast, the 12.7 series 60 detroit 500hp engines were nice but they tore themselves apart if they werent handled properly. Its hard to get that much power and torque out of that kind of displacement after having to add all the emissions crap on top of it all. If you think back it wasnt all that long ago that 500+ hp for a 14 liter was impressive, I remember the N14 525 rating being a haus but I also heard of several flying apart, same for the 550hp 3406E. I just dont think you can get that m uch power density out of an engine keeping it emissions legal. That said, dump all the emissions crap and put a good simple turbo on an MP8 505 and I bet it would be a beast just by losing all the restriction in the intake and exhaust. I know that once you dump your emissions control systems and go with a non emissions freindly program you can make plenty of power from a 12.7 detroit, Cummins or Cat, just call Pittsburgh Power, Edge or Diesel Freak. I have a Diesel Freak adjustable power kit here for a C15 that is said to add 90hp and 250# and they say they have the dyno sheets to back it up, I know folks that run em and they say it is a huge gain so I say screw the EPA and make em smoke, they run better that way.

• Like 2

never seen those, they did a non emissions aset engine at 480hp for the military in the ill fated Granite military truck, the ones they actually bought to my knowledge were off the shelf Mack powertrain with allison transmissions. There have been some non emissions MP7's sent south of the border but Ive only seen pics of them thru Staxx, I am sure they could make them however they wanted but they probaably wont help us get there.

I popped the hood on some of the Export setback axle Granite's with small sleepers at the factory last year. My Father and I were drooling at the idea of how much more powerful and reliable those MP8 powered non EGR etc. trucks would be.

The Turbo on the Non-EGR engine is also not a Vaned turbo. Didn't notice the make but it is not a VGT trubo (Variable Geometry) I believe the Holset is a sliding nozzle but complicated just the same. Oh how I yern for the simple diesels in life again.....

• 3 weeks later...

Went over to see my buddy yesterday after work, he says he LOVES the torque. Syas he lets out the clutch in low (eaton 8ll) and needs first right away. "Big difference from the mp7". One day when he brings it home ill go over and check the stickers and stuff. Ive known his boss for a few years, almost worked for him, maybe he'd let me drive it.......

Went over to see my buddy yesterday after work, he says he LOVES the torque. Syas he lets out the clutch in low (eaton 8ll) and needs first right away. "Big difference from the mp7". One day when he brings it home ill go over and check the stickers and stuff. Ive known his boss for a few years, almost worked for him, maybe he'd let me drive it.......

Im calling Bull Shit, Ive never seen a "driver" use low to take off its always second or third! lol