Rhode Island MACKS

Our 1964 B61X was built at the Mahwah N.J. MACK plant in 1963/1964 but to the best of our knowledge, it spent most of and the later part of its functional life in Rhode Island as a Heil-bodied dump which is where we bought it in 1999 with the dump body and everything associated with the dump body having been previously removed and sold. Hence the Rhode Island connection. Please feel free to fill this topic with pictures of the many fine MACK trucks from the great state of Rhode Island. Take notice of the updated air filter with it's engine entry flow thru' the hood and the(hard to see in the picture)notch in the fender. http://www.flickr.com/photos/119827954@N04/13027278573/

• Like 1

Rob, someone else notched the fender when they installed the big air filter and the heavy rear torque arm is a factory Mack issue on the B61X

Yea I knew Mack had built it that way I just liked the specs of her. Tanis Concrete in Fairlawn NJ (which is now owned by Tony Dell) has a yard truck for supplying the plant that is a DM 690 single axle with a 12 ft body and has one of the last real heavy rear suspension with the torque arms like that. They bought it new to replace their DM 600 steel hood single axle they had for eons.

Rob.

I have seen that B-71 at a couple of shows before and while it is beautiful, it confuses me. As far as I know the B-71 was equipped with a Cummins of some sort, and its grill/radiator was extended out beyond the fenders, like this one that I have seen at Macungie

DSC05917.jpg

was talkin about the Mack engineers J when they desiged the b71, or B70 series. when did they put the normal shell back on them and move the fenders forward with the plates on the cab? 56? 57? then after that they revised them again and used the bigger radiator.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

was talkin about the Mack engineers J when they desiged the b71, or B70 series. when did they put the normal shell back on them and move the fenders forward with the plates on the cab? 56? 57? then after that they revised them again and used the bigger radiator.

The B 71 was not revised to make the B 73, B 75.

FW

As far as I know, the B71 was always the way it is with an extended nose. The B21 in fire service had an extended nose to accomadate the Hall Scott gas motor. I have never measured to see if the 21 and 71 shared the sheet metal or if it was just a similar design.

The 73,75,77 had the rear fender filler panels all the way through their run. They started out with a soft nose radiator and standard steel B headlight panels. As the need for cooling increase, the larger aluminum radiator and narrower cast aluminum headlight panels were introduce.

I have never seen the black tractor in person but it sure does look good and would be interesting to find out what is going on with it.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Nice shot Matt. And guys, to those who question this trucks lineage, the owner lists it as a B-71 and for sure, hood dimensions -BBC look no different then my 56-B-61X.

Now to further complicate in looking at "Mack Moderl B-1953-1966 Vol. 2 " by Thomas Warth,

pg. 97 B-70T gas-appears std BBC,

pg 98 70ST USN tandem-has extended hood.

pg.99, B70ST std bbc

pg. 101 B70-head on shot-appears std bbc

pg. 102 B71T has extended hood-also no "Thermodyne or Diesel" hood script.

this says to me, truck was built both ways-std BBC and with extended hood.