My Old White 4000

ciw65

I have mentioned in my introduction I had a White 4000 that I stripped and rebuilt. Here are 2 pics I have on disc from the article done in Big Rigs in June, 2002. Background is it was bought in Melbourne for $15,000 in about 1996, by a mate of mine, hooked onto a trailer loaded with steel pipe, and driven back to Adelaide. Then she was parked in "the shed" (workshop) and slowly stripped back to bare chassis rails, which are full double rails. The rebuild took around 6 years all up and in excess of AU$80,000 (that's when we stopped counting). She came with a 335 Cummins small cam, 15 speed direct road ranger and 4.11 rockwell SQHD diffs on long tail hendrickson and a day cab. During the rebuild she transformed into a 400 Big Cam III/IV American import hybrid (BC IV pump, injectors, turbo and heads on a BC III block), 15 speed o/drive, same rear end but rebuilt and a 30" low line bunk. The cab was completely stripped bare and rust cut out and new steel welded in, new reinforcing plates made for the air cleaner mounts, 6 coats of "Stark White" 2 pack paint inside and out. All the cab lining and upholstery was redone with original brown vinyl where we could get it, except the bunk which was slightly wider embossed stripe as the original style is unavailable now days. Think we stripped about 4 old 4000/9000/road bosses interiors at the truck wreckers to get one good interior. The drivers seat was replaced with a rebuilt high back bostrom air seat. The panels in the dash were replaced with new laser cut stainless steel plates, cover in imitation woodgrain. Every piece of wiring, air line, fuel line, tubing, plumbing, pipe, hose, fitting, nut, bolt, washer, clip, rubber, bush, you name it was replaced with new items, and stainless fittings used where possible. The old cab supension spring was turfed out, and we designed our own air bag system with shockers. The doors you will notice from the handles are not original. Again U.S import white/western star doors. So the right hand door handle is nice and tight, not worn and rattly like most drivers door handles here. All door and window rubbers are brand new. The bunk was from the wreckers, off an International S line originally, with a "letterbox" opening. Turned the back of the cab and bunk into a "Walk through" size. Bunk was de-skinned, and rusty frame parts cut out and new steel welded in. 3/8" plate was welded into the frame on the back wall top and bottom both sides and drilled and tapped to take the exhaust mounts on the outside. All bearings were replaced as well as seals. suspension was completely rebushed and pinned front and back. A new crossmember was made to replace the original one over the drive axles, as it was slightly twisted. New lights all around, custom made polished aluminium checker plate side skirts under the cab as well as so much else I can't remember. When finished on her maiden run she pulled a tautliner with 24 tonne of steel to Pt. Augusta, and a flat top loaded with power poles back to Adelaide without a hitch. Couple of blokes in more modern gear with big horsepower still have gravel rash scars on their chins after we passed them.......going uphill!!! Unfortunately (yeah, right) the truck never came with a speed limiter, and somehow it was one job that got overlooked. Oh naughty us..... Speedo on a White of that vintage (1974) only goes to 125 km/h. The needle had been known to go past there after she was run in........ occasionally :rolleyes:B) Unfortunately, economics and the sky rocketing price of fuel triggered my common sense button which said she had to go after 18 months or so of work. I have seen her out on the highway since then, still getting along quite merrily, but the new owner has put in an 18 speed o/d trans now, only because he had one lying around and prefers the ability to split gears. He admitted to me one day that he has had a "play" with her when it was safe, and with the 18 speed trans, says she is good for about 139 km/h. Not bad for an old jigger. Hence the name on the bug deflector. Unfortunately, the pics are only scannned from the Big Rigs article, so not the best quality.

post-2107-1205035658_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1205035702.jpg

post-2107-1205036695_thumb.jpg

G'day Chris

Fantastic job on the old White. Brings back a few memories. The first real heavy truck I drove was a 1976 White 4000

with a 8V71GM and 13spd on tipper work around Sydney back in 1990. What a great truck that was to drive.

Congratulations on the excellent restoration.

Cheers mate!

G'day Chris

Fantastic job on the old White. Brings back a few memories. The first real heavy truck I drove was a 1976 White 4000

with a 8V71GM and 13spd on tipper work around Sydney back in 1990. What a great truck that was to drive.

Congratulations on the excellent restoration.

Cheers mate!

Thanks bloke. Interesting you should say that. Even after all the work put into this little White, I still find oddities like what you have mentioned. Like I had always thought that 4000's had Cummins power and 9000's had Detroits. But as usual, there are always exceptions to the rule. Would have been a noisy ride with an 8V71. LOL But I can honestly say I have never seen one with a yellow peril up front!

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the white 9000's in the states (pre Autocar cab) had cummins 160/195/220 HP. Most of the 9000's (Autocar cab pre road boss) had cummins 250 HP. Road bosses were mostly Cummins 290 hp, with quite a few v detroits (roadway). 4000's gave you leg room with pretty much the same engine options as the 9000's. It would be nice if somebody bought the White rights from volvo and brought back the White nameplate.

Most of the white 9000's in the states (pre Autocar cab) had cummins 160/195/220 HP. Most of the 9000's (Autocar cab pre road boss) had cummins 250 HP. Road bosses were mostly Cummins 290 hp, with quite a few v detroits (roadway). 4000's gave you leg room with pretty much the same engine options as the 9000's. It would be nice if somebody bought the White rights from volvo and brought back the White nameplate.

PS Forgot to say nice job on the old white. Its to bad most of the old whites went to the crusher. Have a good day!

i am not familiar with the Whites, but that sure is a beautiful truck. i really like that a lot, you did a fine job on the resto! I like any truck that defies aerodynamics (superliner, w900, 359/379 etc.)

1993 Mack CH613 350 V-mac complete with Blixxton II module, RTX14710B Fuller tranny, 4.17 ratio 38K camelback rears, converted to 5-axle dump truck in 1999. Over 1 Million miles and counting on original motor

i am not familiar with the Whites, but that sure is a beautiful truck. i really like that a lot, you did a fine job on the resto! I like any truck that defies aerodynamics (superliner, w900, 359/379 etc.)

Aerodynamics????? Back when fuel was 50c a gallon who cared. LOL.

In Australia basically rule of thumb was 4000 series had Cummins and 9000 series had Detroits, but there were a few exceptions. This old girl was originally powered by a 335 Cummins. My old boss in Brisbane had a Road Boss that was standard with a 350 Cummins originally, but he repowered it with a K-19 @ 575hp!!! Talk about wall to wall sump.

And thanks everybody for your kind comments. My ex wife called it waste of money, but I never saw it that way. Still got a soft spot for the old girl (truck, not the ex wife).

Nice job on the 4000 White. I had a 1967 White 4000 220 cummins, RT 910,single axle and a 1972 White 9000 250 Cummins RTO 910 tandem. They were a good work truck,no frills.I had a78 and 79 Autocar Tri-Axle Dumps with the same corporate cab. Like others said the unaerodynamic design was the best looking. Joe D.

Nice job on the 4000 White. I had a 1967 White 4000 220 cummins, RT 910,single axle and a 1972 White 9000 250 Cummins RTO 910 tandem. They were a good work truck,no frills.I had a78 and 79 Autocar Tri-Axle Dumps with the same corporate cab. Like others said the unaerodynamic design was the best looking. Joe D.

We took out the old leaf spring at the rear of the cab and made up a top bracket to take 2 cab air bags. With an air bag suspended seat and long tail springs on the hendrickson rear, was a very comfy ride. Beat the hell outta a kenworth with 6 rod or knitting needle rear end.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, nice trucks Chris. That White looks even cooler in the Australian version with the big breather snorkels. I always liked those old 4000's and the Constructors/Autocars. Good job.

I've got a friend over in Bannockburn, Victoria that just restored an International Transtar cabover.

That Roadboss with the K19 must be something eh! :D

Hey, nice trucks Chris. That White looks even cooler in the Australian version with the big breather snorkels. I always liked those old 4000's and the Constructors/Autocars. Good job.

I've got a friend over in Bannockburn, Victoria that just restored an International Transtar cabover.

Thanks for that. The air cleaner set ups were our little modification. The original was a single on its side. Yeah that road boss was something else. As I said K-19 @ 575, 15 sp overdrive and 44,000lb hendrickson rear end on 3.9 Rockwell SSHD's. He always wanted to get an aftermarket speedo because in his words "this damn speedo can't keep up with the truck!" As a tow truck it tared at 18 tonne which is about 39,600 lbs, but hell did it boogie.

• 1 year later...

Bullheaded,

That mate of your's wouldn't be Rick Hayman, would it??? If so, he did a bloody mootzer of a job on him - he named him "Transtarasaurus Rex"! And what a suitable name!

Joe

• 5 months later...

And thanks everybody for your kind comments. My ex wife called it waste of money, but I never saw it that way. Still got a soft spot for the old girl (truck, not the ex wife).

The wives never understand us.... Good lookin rig Chris

IstillmissmyXwife.jpg

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

You'd really love my '57 GMC 350 then-it's about as aerodynamic as a barn door! :lol: I guess that's why it's so low geared;not enough engine (270c.i. gas six)and with a blunt front end like it has,what difference would power make? :idunno:

Great truck Chris;seems like Whites were always under-appreciated,great trucks but not often given the restoration treatment. You did a beautiful job.

Speedpost-1053-12613858934519_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>