New Mack being spec'd out.

I feel the day is getting near on ordering that new Mack.Wish me luck the boss will pull through.If it is not a good move I'll never hear the end of it.I feel Mack is the right move for fuel mileage,power and little or no down time.I through in my 2 cents.

What type of Mack you order LSI? I'm bring a new pup home too. I just ordered a Granite Dump with ten Allison in her with MP8 with 445 Hp. I took that same step of Faith also in buying New. The down time and Break downs was costing me so I figured if I'm going to be in this industry it was time to step up and step out!!!! Did you purchase the extended warranty?

What type of Mack you order LSI? I'm bring a new pup home too. I just ordered a Granite Dump with ten Allison in her with MP8 with 445 Hp. I took that same step of Faith also in buying New. The down time and Break downs was costing me so I figured if I'm going to be in this industry it was time to step up and step out!!!! Did you purchase the extended warranty?

Going to lease from Mack.445E,2:66 rears,M-drive with single o.d.at this time.May go with same but direct drive.I run 62 to 65,Il,Wi,Mn,In.Need to test drive to make final choice.I like the 505E but may not get the fuel mileage I need.Would like to get 7.3 to 7.8.Road truck,60" sleeper,Pinnacle.Pull dry van.

Is that the TC10 Allison?Was it heavier?Weight wise?

No I got the Allison 4500RDS! I have a few Buddies that have them and the Mack dealership told me there customers swear by them that there great! This way I don't have to worry about clutch, it will be easier on drive shaft, I ordered the Dana Spicer SPL 170 SPL 250 heavy duty driveshaft! They come with seal guard and don't need to be greased for the 1st three years or (350,000) miles, and once every 6 months after that!

• Like 1

That 505E may get better fuel mileage than the 445, in my limited experience more HP from the same engine size = more efficient operating engine and if you use more HP the way it should be used and let the truck do the work it'll get better fuel mileage. We did a test at HBI with 4 Freightliners all identical N14 powered trucks, we set 2at525hp and 2 at 435/500 split rate. After 6 months the 525hp trucks averaged over 1mpg better.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 2 weeks later...

Our 445 was getting better mileage then our 505 hauling 80,000 gross.

My salesman had been getting some negative feedback on the 505's fuel mileage from customers and had de-rated a few to 445 with favorable results for a few hundred bucks.

There are so many factors to consider between each of the trucks specs, drivers loads etc.

My 2 have mainly a rear end difference of 355 in the 445 to 370 in the 505. These trucks are almost 1.7 MPG apart with similar loads and drivers.

After de-rating our 505 to a 445 we have gained back almost half of the original loss with no noticeable power loss according to the driver.

Over the life of that truck the de-rate is $$$$$ in the bank.

Did you notice much difference in power between the 445 and 505 settings BBIGRIG? I've been looking at a couple tri-axle dumps in southern Ontario and they all have 445's with the Allison auto. My gross would be 36,000kg.

Big power = a big fuel bill with a big foot. There's some difference in gearing there too, if the tires are the same size and they have the same OD ratio thas s still about 200 rpm difference. I don't have any real world knowledge of the MP8's so I can't say if I think the higher HP would be a plus or no. Some engines run more efficiently and make more power than others while when pushed over a certain power threshold some start going the wrong way on efficiency in the name of ratings.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Will the ALLISON TC10-TS be available in any OTR MACK tractor? A friend of mine wants to buy some new trucks and I am pulling him to the MACK side of the story. Trucks will haul some tanker trailers hauling thick liquids and I think a tractor with an automatic transmission will be better for this kind of haul so I think MACK should add the ALLISON TC10TS to its transmision portfolio. He wants to look at Western-Star 4900 as well, but we got no Western Star dealer / shop in our área so it will be a trouble when problems arise.io

Going to lease from Mack.445E,2:66 rears,M-drive with single o.d.at this time.May go with same but direct drive.I run 62 to 65,Il,Wi,Mn,In.Need to test drive to make final choice.I like the 505E but may not get the fuel mileage I need.Would like to get 7.3 to 7.8.Road truck,60" sleeper,Pinnacle.Pull dry van.

2.66 rears and an overdrive. I know manufacturers have been gearing trucks this way for a few years now, but I'm still amazed that it's functional. Before long trucks will be running down the road on fast idle.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

No power difference at all. At approx. 40,000kms on the truck we de-rated the 505 to a 445 after dynoing the 505. Its been sucking on the teet since we got her.

Mack wouldn't take it back and had no fix for the power issues. Stick with the 445.

I have yet to see an Allison last over 500,000kms in the vocational side without an overhaul. The Allison has only seen a major influx in the construction market since the MP engine came onto the market here in Canada. If its used you have your eyes on, be cautious of the Allison's condition.

Ya, that's why I was wondering. All the new Mack dumps I see with Allison's are 445's. But they are in southern Ontario, no big hills like up here.

There's guys running 560 Detroit's with Allison's up here.

But sounds like the 445 would do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Well a friend just got a new Granite, MP7 405hp, Allison 4500, 4.19 Mack rears and 11R24.5 rubber, says it runs better than his aset trucks in town and twice as much power as the 07 MP7 405 truck he had leased. I have been told by a few folks that the new SCR MP7 405 is a pretty stout truck, with 4.19 rears on tall rubber and it runs as good or better than a 427 ASET Ill say its a done deal if I was ordering a dump truck, you get light weight and good power with great economy. If you want more torque and dont hit the bog road much get 4.80 rears and multiply that torque some more, the Allison trucks used to be spec'd with 5.02 rears and ran interstate speeds so Id say you will be "A - OK".