traction control

I have one truck that has traction control which is basically part of your ABS system with an extra valve. Its freakin useless! It actually causes more issues in getting stuck in the snow up here in Canada then it helps. Cuts the motor back and applies slight brake pressure to a slipping wheel. It will cut your accelerator pedal down to idle on a major slip. (Useless!)

The other new truck we have, we tested 4- way lockers on Meritor axles. The full lockers are the way to go if you need the extra traction. I have yet to get that truck stuck but it means a heavier more expensive truck.

Don't bother with the ATC traction control. I have yet to get into a situation that ATC has helped me get out of. Cutting the throttle down has actually got me stuck twice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cause an ABS fault and it all goes away. unplug a wheel end sensor or something.

The light on the dash will be on and your braking system will return to before ABS. Your traction control will also no longer function until you plug the sensor back in and spin the wheels over 4mph.

I would only do this if you are REALLY stuck somewhere then put it back to normal.

I had traction control on my CH that was pulling wood chip trailers. I had to load in places with axle deep mud. It made the truck useless. It wouldn't go anywhere. Got it turned off and I could get in and out no problem. Does exactly like bbigrig says.....you try and get through a bad spot and it derates the engine, applies brakes, you lose momentum, and there you sit.....stuck.

• Like 1