90's Mack's I'm Ignorant. Help Pls

5Mouths2Feed

I am in the market for a good used daycab to be used in NE-FL for the purpose of log hauling. I am familiar with Cummins and Detroits however I am ignorant to Mack engines. I am looking in the 90's model range. Specs that I am looking for with the non-Macks is 375-435hp, 3.70-3.90 gears, 9-10-13spd. How are Macks on milage? How do they compare in re: to longevity/maintenance? How are they re: HP/Torqe ??350???400???427??? can they be turned up? Thers a multitude of E6-7 350hp's (95-99) but I do not want to be under powered. Trannys? Good and Bad experiences with Macks...Basically any infomation/opions on the 90's Macks will be helpful. I have recently seen a 93' with a 400hp. Is this a good unit.Thank You

I am in the market for a good used daycab to be used in NE-FL for the purpose of log hauling. I am familiar with Cummins and Detroits however I am ignorant to Mack engines. I am looking in the 90's model range. Specs that I am looking for with the non-Macks is 375-435hp, 3.70-3.90 gears, 9-10-13spd. How are Macks on milage? How do they compare in re: to longevity/maintenance? How are they re: HP/Torqe ??350???400???427??? can they be turned up? Thers a multitude of E6-7 350hp's (95-99) but I do not want to be under powered. Trannys? Good and Bad experiences with Macks...Basically any infomation/opions on the 90's Macks will be helpful. I have recently seen a 93' with a 400hp. Is this a good unit.Thank You

All I can tell you is Mack trucks in Australia have been used for doing the hard heavy work for years because of their reliability. Mack boxes are near on bullet proof. Anything with 3 countershafts has to be. Same with their diffs. earlier models weren't renown for their economy, but that had as much to do with diff ratio as type of work. Many old R models with 320 and 350 HP engines has pulled a triple road train from Adelaide to Darwin and back grossing 120 tons or more. And gone over 1,000,000 km before rebuild too. Our EA7-470 doing general with single trailer as well as oversize loads on and off bitumen averages around 2.4 km per litre. Our best figures for one of our 460 Volvos is only 2.7. That's a 1999 Mack vs 2006 Volvo FH12. The Volvo is on bitumen all the time doing single trailer reefer work. Hope this helps

• 8 months later...

B) I own a 99 ch600 with a E7 355/380 maxicruise set up,4.11 mack diff, mounted on 24.5 tires through an eaton 13 speed.I pull a flatbed all over North america ,light and heavy loads. MY fuel average for the last seven years has been 7.93 us gal,9.3 imp gal.The CH series seem to be one of those truck that with a little TLC will go on forever. They are fairly easy to work on,the cab is one of the toughest in the business .If you can keep your foot out of it, it will make you money.Mack tranny can be fairly expensive to repair.Pulling in and out of the bush i would get a 3.90-4.11-4.33 rear end.Keep your highway speed under 60 MPH(I know that is not the norm in Florida)and you will be sitting pretty.Buying a used truck is a whole other story. I would go take a look around

eastern Texas. Thers'a lot of loggers using Macks around that part of the woods.Slow and steady is the way to go these days! The E-Tech E7 series of engines with seperate unit pumps and injectors will get better fuel average and are cheaper to maintain in the long run.Simply replacing the injector tips will improve overall performance. I replace mine every two years and regain 0ne to one and a half mpg.I think the E tech started in 98, A very good engine serie.As for being underpowered, There is a very good reason you seen lot of 350/ 380 hp engines, there is a hell of a price to pay for being king of the hill with the price of diesel being what it is these days.Take note how easy it is to find a big horsepower unit for sale or on the repo lot.You do the math! Also Acert engines,2002 and up,have been plagued with problems related to antipollution devices. I would stay away from them .B)

Edited by rhpaulin309

B) I own a 99 ch600 with a E7 355/380 maxicruise set up,4.11 mack diff, mounted on 24.5 tires through an eaton 13 speed.I pull a flatbed all over North america ,light and heavy loads. MY fuel average for the last seven years has been 7.93 us gal,9.3 imp gal.The CH series seem to be one of those truck that with a little TLC will go on forever. They are fairly easy to work on,the cab is one of the toughest in the business .If you can keep your foot out of it, it will make you money.Mack tranny can be fairly expensive to repair.Pulling in and out of the bush i would get a 3.90-4.11-4.33 rear end.Keep your highway speed under 60 MPH(I know that is not the norm in Florida)and you will be sitting pretty.Buying a used truck is a whole other story. I would go take a look around

eastern Texas. Thers'a lot of loggers using Macks around that part of the woods.Slow and steady is the way to go these days! The E-Tech E7 series of engines with seperate unit pumps and injectors will get better fuel average and are cheaper to maintain in the long run.Simply replacing the injector tips will improve overall performance. I replace mine every two years and regain 0ne to one and a half mpg.I think the E tech started in 98, A very good engine serie.As for being underpowered, There is a very good reason you seen lot of 350/ 380 hp engines, there is a hell of a price to pay for being king of the hill with the price of diesel being what it is these days.Take note how easy it is to find a big horsepower unit for sale or on the repo lot.You do the math! Also Acert engines,2002 and up,have been plagued with problems related to antipollution devices. I would stay away from them .B)

That is some good advice. glenn

glenn akers