F MODELS

jake

I think that is a fairly recent picture,if you look closely there is a late model Chevy or GMC pickup behind the F's in the first picture........they sure look in good shape!...............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Those look pretty decent from here,anyway. Must have got "smuggled in" from the east. A rarity to see spokes in Wyoming,I would imagine. Nice find,Jake! I wonder if the Rifleman is keeping watch over them with a loaded Winchester? :o

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Those look pretty decent from here,anyway. Must have got "smuggled in" from the east. A rarity to see spokes in Wyoming,I would imagine. Nice find,Jake! I wonder if the Rifleman is keeping watch over them with a loaded Winchester? :o

Based on the landscape, my guess is they are still "out west". Other "interesting" things sitting there too.

Too Late Ken! 57BCR and I are already headed out there to pick them up! LOL!..................................Mark

Mark, take lots of pictures!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

We had two '69 "F" models we bought used from the Allentown branch that were built with underground exhaust.

They had 237's in them, you didn't want to leave them running when you were cranking the landing gear up or down, they'd bring tears to your eyes!

They didn't stay that way for long, wasn't very good for the horses either!

Ron

• Like 2

I noticed that too,Mark. Didn't some of the UPS F models have weedburners ?

Mike,

I too thought of UPS but most were day cab and single axle. Perhaps they ran tandem sleepers in the west.

found these on the web.

Top pic is a display at the America on Wheels museum in Allentown.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Went back and looked at these F's a little more,did anybody else notice what's missing?..............................Mark

Mark, I thought you were going to say the "Bulldog" on the first truck. The story that I heard was they came originally from New Jersey and were used to haul the mail. That explains the spokes. They were used in Wyoming to haul hay. I suppose they thought it was safer without a stack. Jake
  • Like 1

Also noticed the K-D (I think) "shock-proof" cab lights. Kind of rare on an F-model. Fleet spec,for sure. And missing about 6 feet of frame rail between the fuel tanks and the front drive axle(for running the west)!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Ah, ok Mike.Not as rare as I thought. :blush: I guess the ones I noticed usually had the bullet or the old style flat housing/amber lens type lights on them. The shock-proof lights were very popular with the fleets, as I recall.