ISX Cummins plugging oil filter.

BAD DOG

I drive an 09 KW 900L for the company I work for. It has a Cummins ISX. 550 HP it pulls good when it runs right. The problem we've had with it for the last 2 years is the oil filter plugging up about every 2 to 3 weeks when we use it steady. E had it in and spent about $10,000 in cleaning the DPF last fall and changing igniter in the exhaust and all kinds of sensors and I really hate the thing because nothing they do to it ever solves the problem. It runs about 35 psi with a fresh filter for a few days then it will drop to 30psi for a couple weeks then it will run 25psi and you better be changing the filter that night because if you don't it will quit on you some place you don't want it to and it ain't fun. I was wondering if any one else has a cummins and encountered this problem and knows the fix besides a can of gas and a match. The joys of modern technology!

yes I have heard of this you are not the only one by far and when you talk to Cummings about it they try that jedi shit what are you talking about wve never heard of this theres nothing wrong with it its soot I don't know of any one fixing one except for getting rid of the junkor take it pittsburg power and take all that crap off the truck

This issue surfaced at a Technology and Maintenance Council (TMC) meeting several years ago. Late model Cummins ISXs had an issue with oil and fuel filter plugging. They "blamed" it on the oil and fuel.

Let the finger pointing begin continue.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ever check the crankcase filter ? connecting passage ways ? What type of Anti-freeze are you using ? Red with NO water, any water will not allow motor to heat up enough or have you changed out the thermostats, Check the temp of your oil after a good run, If not above 200 degree there is your problem. MAYBE.

Yes we have changed the crankcase filter. Tried different brands of oil filters boss buys Mobil 15w40 oil from his supplier, we are rubbing synthetic in it now no difference maybe worse oil temp is at 210 to 230 degrees water is 200 antifreeze is red no water. Oil cooler was gone when we bought it rad was full of oil ended up replacing rad and coolant sensors because we couldn't get oil out of the coolant and it was always fouling up coolant sensor. Took it in and left it at a shop yesterday because engine shutdown code kept coming on along with the bell and it would loose a lot of power when it did. I wish the boss would get rid of the thing. He should have got rid of it I last spring and bought my dads Superliner from me then he'd have something.

• Like 1

But you guys are missing the big picture here! The newer emissions engines are more environmentally friendly, they burn that ultra low sulfur fuel even. Of course they burn more of it since it has less btu's and they are using egr which raises cylinder temps and kills combustion using more fuel. I don't see the problem I mean come on you have to think about the environment, look at all he noxious fumes and smoke coming from the exhaust on trucks these days, granted they are mostly newer trucks in a regen. But its all about the environment, if you drop the fuel mileage of the trucks by about 20% then add another consumable to the mix (def) and start a fire in the dpf to burn hot enough to burn out trapped soot particles its gotta be better right?

In the mean time China continues to F-Up the whole world an we keep buyin there shit! Including myself!! I am forced to buy there truck tires that ware like iron an are 90 bucks cheaper!!

Bullhusk

But you guys are missing the big picture here! The newer emissions engines are more environmentally friendly, they burn that ultra low sulfur fuel even. Of course they burn more of it since it has less btu's and they are using egr which raises cylinder temps and kills combustion using more fuel. I don't see the problem I mean come on you have to think about the environment, look at all he noxious fumes and smoke coming from the exhaust on trucks these days, granted they are mostly newer trucks in a regen. But its all about the environment, if you drop the fuel mileage of the trucks by about 20% then add another consumable to the mix (def) and start a fire in the dpf to burn hot enough to burn out trapped soot particles its gotta be better right?

It'll get better now that we know the cause of all so our problems.....Fox news and Rush Limbaugh, says the prez. They cause all the nations ills.. The prez has ordered a new Unicorn to fix it all.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

10-4 on the noxious gases and lower fuel milage on these regen trucks. And J F Y I about the Chinese tires little do you know that there are only two or three manufacturers of tires in the world Michellin and Good Year actually own most of them so your Chinese tires are one or the other just made over there for a cheaper price. Nothing wrong with them depending on what you are doing some of them do wear really good but some are junk too. Good on drives and trailers but I stay away from them on steers because some don't last long before you get vibration out of them.

It is for sure an upside down world, EPA recently dropped the requirements on DEF, they figure out that instead of the exhaust going into the air, it is now going onto the ground and into our water. The newer engines don't seem to last as long as the older ones, more temp = more wear out. Now with the push for LPG, The new engines are just converted with spark plugs and an electrical dist. , I asked some factory reps about upper cylinder lube for these new engines running on a dry fuel and so far none has been able to explain it to me. Which means shorter life and more money. The requirements for an oil change is more frequent then before in these converted engines. Makes me think of the old GM gas engine conversation to diesel (6.2), What a joke.

The Chinese are building coal fire power plants at the rate of one a week, Our government is slowly choking our coal plants to death along with the people that works for this industry, and wants to charge farmers for cow shit. Go figure!!

10-4 on the noxious gases and lower fuel milage on these regen trucks. And J F Y I about the Chinese tires little do you know that there are only two or three manufacturers of tires in the world Michellin and Good Year actually own most of them so your Chinese tires are one or the other just made over there for a cheaper price. Nothing wrong with them depending on what you are doing some of them do wear really good but some are junk too. Good on drives and trailers but I stay away from them on steers because some don't last long before you get vibration out of them.

John Kerry's speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos Sweden, he promises 1 trillion dollars in aid each to China and India to help them cut power plant emissions. The reason according to Kerry is ''our insatiable need for their products''

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

John Kerry's speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos Sweden, he promises 1 trillion dollars in aid each to China and India to help them cut power plant emissions. The reason according to Kerry is ''our insatiable need for their products''

To much cow shit between J.K.s shoulders

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

To much cow shit between J.K.s shoulders

BULLHUSK

Just a hippie loving turd..

Asked my Grandson over H.O.Penn about the clogging oil filters.Same as most said- modern EPA formulated fuel and he asked if it was a N.America built Cummins or an Assembled Cummins with Cummins Asia parts.

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm starting to think Its a Cummins problem. Even my 2012 Dodge with an ISB 6.7 gums up the oil pretty quick.

I've tried a couple different oils in her and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Lots of soot seems to collect in the bottom end of my ISB 6.7 The ISB 5.9L didn't have the same soot issues.

I'm changing oil at 8000kms (5000miles) because I can feel the grit on my fingers at the dipstick around there. I've had the truck since new for 13 months and its at 60,000k (37000miles)