•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ISX Cummins plugging oil filter.

• Please log in to reply
    43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAD DOG

BAD DOG

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 938 posts
    • Make:MACK
    • Model:RW 700
    • Year:1989

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I drive an 09 KW 900L for the company I work for. It has a Cummins ISX. 550 HP it pulls good when it runs right. The problem we've had with it for the last 2 years is the oil filter plugging up about every 2 to 3 weeks when we use it steady. E had it in and spent about $10,000 in cleaning the DPF last fall and changing igniter in the exhaust and all kinds of sensors and I really hate the thing because nothing they do to it ever solves the problem. It runs about 35 psi with a fresh filter for a few days then it will drop to 30psi for a couple weeks then it will run 25psi and you better be changing the filter that night because if you don't it will quit on you some place you don't want it to and it ain't fun. I was wondering if any one else has a cummins and encountered this problem and knows the fix besides a can of gas and a match. The joys of modern technology!

#2 OFFLINE   logtruckman

logtruckman

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 503 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:superliner with e9 500 3 cl with 427 454 and 460 and a 2013 titan 555 mp10
    • Year:1989-2007

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

POPULAR

trade it for a new titan or something with a detroit.
    • Bigdogtrucker and bbigrig like this

#3 OFFLINE   reddogs

reddogs

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 25 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:R600
    • Year:1976

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

I have a friend had the same problem, sooted up. Funny, I don't have that problem with my superliner!!

#4 OFFLINE   Dirtymilkman

Dirtymilkman

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 284 posts
    • Make:All Mack's
    • Model:CL's CH's RD TD
    • Year:82-14

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

I'd send the used filter in for a oil analysis. Once you know what's plugging the filter you have a starting point.

#5 OFFLINE   rw613

rw613

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 444 posts
    • Make:macks
    • Model:rw613.
    • Year:1985

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

yes I have heard of this you are not the only one by far and when you talk to Cummings about it they try that jedi shit what are you talking about wve never heard of this theres nothing wrong with it   its soot I don't know of any one fixing one except for getting rid of the junkor take it pittsburg power and take all that crap off the truck

#6 OFFLINE   logtruckman

logtruckman

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 503 posts
    • Model:superliner with e9 500 3 cl with 427 454 and 460 and a 2013 titan 555 mp10

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

i know of alot of people that are in the shop all the time with there 08 and newer isx 15 . people keep buying them though . once you get the paccar large car fever its hard to find a cure .

#7 OFFLINE   farmer52

farmer52

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• BMT Benefactor
    • 4,386 posts
    • Model:MH612
    • Year:1992
    Contributor

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

This issue surfaced at a Technology and Maintenance Council (TMC) meeting several years ago.  Late model Cummins ISXs had an issue with oil and fuel filter plugging.  They "blamed" it on the oil and fuel.

Let the finger pointing begin continue.

• 41chevy likes this
    Ken
    HOF City, PRR Country, and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

#8 OFFLINE   bullhusk

bullhusk

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,127 posts
    • Make:brockway
    • Model:361
    • Year:1974

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

By a Detroit an ya won't have them problems!! LOL just kiddin don't ya just hate when they say "your the only one havin this problem
    Bullhusk

#9 OFFLINE   KECorbin22

KECorbin22

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 80 posts
    • Make:Chevy
    • Model:C20
    • Year:1971

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Ever check the crankcase filter ? connecting passage ways ?  What type of Anti-freeze are you using ?  Red with NO water, any water will not allow motor to heat up enough or have you changed out the thermostats,  Check the temp of your oil after a good run, If not above 200 degree there is your problem. MAYBE.

#10 OFFLINE   BAD DOG

BAD DOG

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 938 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Yes we have changed the crankcase filter. Tried different brands of oil filters boss buys Mobil 15w40 oil from his supplier, we are rubbing synthetic in it now no difference maybe worse oil temp is at 210 to 230 degrees water is 200 antifreeze is red no water. Oil cooler was gone when we bought it rad was full of oil ended up replacing rad and coolant sensors because we couldn't get oil out of the coolant and it was always fouling up coolant sensor. Took it in and left it at a shop yesterday because engine shutdown code kept coming on along with the bell and it would loose a lot of power when it did. I wish the boss would get rid of the thing. He should have got rid of it I last spring and bought my dads Superliner from me then he'd have something.
    • j hancock likes this

#11 OFFLINE   KECorbin22

KECorbin22

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 80 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Yep, should of bought the Superliner.

#12 OFFLINE   84superdog

84superdog

Jack of All Trades, Master of None!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 3,947 posts
    • Model:RW613
    • Year:85

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

POPULAR

But you guys are missing the big picture here! The newer emissions engines are more environmentally friendly, they burn that ultra low sulfur fuel even. Of course they burn more of it since it has less btu's and they are using egr which raises cylinder temps and kills combustion using more fuel. I don't see the problem I mean come on you have to think about the environment, look at all he noxious fumes and smoke coming from the exhaust on trucks these days, granted they are mostly newer trucks in a regen. But its all about the environment, if you drop the fuel mileage of the trucks by about 20% then add another consumable to the mix (def) and start a fire in the dpf to burn hot enough to burn out trapped soot particles its gotta be better right?
    • 41chevy, hatcity and j_martell like this

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH" 

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

#13 OFFLINE   j hancock

j hancock

• BMT VIP
    • 5,029 posts
    • Model:B75
    • Year:1959
    Contributor

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

What's in your coffee this morning?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

#14 OFFLINE   logtruckman

logtruckman

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 503 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

seems like any truck that has just egr and dpf are trouble. the urea is an added expense but the trucks just run alot better because they have less egr and the dpf doesnt regen as much .
    • bts-4120 likes this

#15 OFFLINE   bullhusk

bullhusk

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

But you guys are missing the big picture here! The newer emissions engines are more environmentally friendly, they burn that ultra low sulfur fuel even. Of course they burn more of it since it has less btu's and they are using egr which raises cylinder temps and kills combustion using more fuel. I don't see the problem I mean come on you have to think about the environment, look at all he noxious fumes and smoke coming from the exhaust on trucks these days, granted they are mostly newer trucks in a regen. But its all about the environment, if you drop the fuel mileage of the trucks by about 20% then add another consumable to the mix (def) and start a fire in the dpf to burn hot enough to burn out trapped soot particles its gotta be better right?

In the mean time China continues to F-Up the whole world an we keep buyin there shit! Including myself!! I am forced to buy there truck tires that ware like iron an are 90 bucks cheaper!!
    Bullhusk

#16 OFFLINE   41chevy

41chevy

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 4,094 posts
    • Model:DM800, 4 AC crane carriers, B61mixer ,R685
    • Year:1969,1928, 1929,1932, 1934, 193? 1961,1980

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

It'll get better now that we know the cause of all so  our problems.....Fox news and Rush Limbaugh, says the prez. They cause all the nations ills.. The prez has ordered a new Unicorn to fix it all.

"You can't fix problems using the same thinking that created them"  Albert Einstein

P.T. CHESHIRE

#17 OFFLINE   BAD DOG

BAD DOG

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 938 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

10-4 on the noxious gases and lower fuel milage on these regen trucks. And J F Y I about the Chinese tires little do you know that there are only two or three manufacturers of tires in the world Michellin and Good Year actually own most of them so your Chinese tires are one or the other just made over there for a cheaper price. Nothing wrong with them depending on what you are doing some of them do wear really good but some are junk too. Good on drives and trailers but I stay away from them on steers because some don't last long before you get vibration out of them.

#18 OFFLINE   KECorbin22

KECorbin22

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 80 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

It is for sure an upside down world,  EPA recently dropped the requirements on DEF, they figure out that instead of the exhaust going into the air, it is now going onto the ground and into our water. The newer engines don't seem to last as long as the older ones, more temp = more wear out. Now with the push for LPG, The new engines are just converted with spark plugs and an electrical dist. , I asked some factory reps about upper cylinder lube for these new engines running on a dry fuel and so far none has been able to explain it to me. Which means shorter life and more money. The requirements for an oil change is more frequent then before in these converted engines. Makes me think of the old GM gas engine  conversation to diesel (6.2), What a joke.

The Chinese are building coal fire power plants at the rate of one a week, Our government is slowly choking  our coal plants to death along with the people that works for this industry, and wants to charge farmers for cow shit. Go figure!!

#19 OFFLINE   41chevy

41chevy

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 4,094 posts
    • Model:DM800, 4 AC crane carriers, B61mixer ,R685
    • Year:1969,1928, 1929,1932, 1934, 193? 1961,1980

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

10-4 on the noxious gases and lower fuel milage on these regen trucks. And J F Y I about the Chinese tires little do you know that there are only two or three manufacturers of tires in the world Michellin and Good Year actually own most of them so your Chinese tires are one or the other just made over there for a cheaper price. Nothing wrong with them depending on what you are doing some of them do wear really good but some are junk too. Good on drives and trailers but I stay away from them on steers because some don't last long before you get vibration out of them.

John Kerry's speech at the  World Economic Forum in Davos Sweden, he promises 1 trillion dollars in aid   each   to China and India to help them cut power plant emissions. The reason  according to Kerry is ''our insatiable need for their products''

"You can't fix problems using the same thinking that created them"  Albert Einstein

P.T. CHESHIRE

#20 OFFLINE   bullhusk

bullhusk

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

POPULAR

John Kerry's speech at the  World Economic Forum in Davos Sweden, he promises 1 trillion dollars in aid   each   to China and India to help them cut power plant emissions. The reason  according to Kerry is ''our insatiable need for their products''

To much cow shit between J.K.s shoulders
    BULLHUSK
    • farmer52 and j hancock like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users