Air locker for the rear

90plow

Not sure if im wording this correctly but have any of you added a locking rear axle to your truck. I have a 2001 rd 694 single axle dump and i do alot of off roading around houses building sites etc. i was trying to back into an area today and i kept slipping i knew if i had a locking rear i could get where i needed to go. Any idea who makes one and how much they cost?

Thanks

Eric

Next time it slips, if it is a Mack rear try applying slight pressure to the brakes. By increasing the amount of torque it takes to spin the tire with no traction, it can send more power to the wheel that has good traction...hopefully enough to move the truck. Somebody posted an article a while back that explains how it all works, and if nobody posts it by the time I get home tonight I'll try to see if I saved it.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The brake trick works on any open diff, its not like a locker but it helps distribute the torque by slowing the slipping wheel. Get started moving and apply pressure to the brake pedal slowly using the throttle to keep your speed up, remember if you apply too much brake pressure the front wheels will fight you and you'll get stuck faster. Its a balancing act really but it works in the average slick spot, not so much trying to ford thru a swamp.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 3 months later...

90plow if you look at the last page that Rowdy Rebel posted the one titled AXLE TYPE is a picture of a limited slip diff. it works on the same theory as the power divider just side to side instead of front or rear. contact your local gear shop and see if they can get you one

did you ever figure what axle is in there....might be as easy as looking for a center section for that axle with alock, ifit was available......

Axle make etc will help us help you lol

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

If you know "x" miles per hour at a given rpm ( tire size and transmission ratio requires, but easy to figure out) you can use the converter that was posted on the forum (can't for life of me remember where) to ball park rear end ratio and the hunt begins......

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

• 1 year later...

Just to add my .02, I hauled heating oil with a single axle that had diff. lock.... it was awesome. Like four wheel drive. But don't try to turn! Could never understand why more single axles didn't have them.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.