Soon to be new to mack trucks!

Hi everyone brand new to this forum and also soon to be brand new to mack trucks… Im looking at purchasing an 03 vision, 460hp, 18spd maxitorque, 12/46 axles, with full locking diffs, 4.33 ratio, 24.5 rubber, 680,000 kms, 12,000hrs and 60" sleeper. I used to repair a few old 80's R models but have been away from the truck repairs for a many years and haven't kept up with whats been going on. I am told the engine was rebuilt at about 400k and am supposed to be getting the paperwork to examine at some point. I am buying it from a freightliner dealer and the guy who traded it tells me the engine is 485hp??? could this be correct? Is there any weak links in the trucks engine or otherwise or anything that should be examined closely before purchasing? Can you tell me your thoughts about these trucks in general- good, bad, indifferent… All info is appreciated! VIN 1M1AE07Y33W014994

Edited by stsdavew

Don't remember a lot of issues with the '03's but the '04's... Wow! Fan hubs, turbo's and camshaft's. Company that I grew up around is a mostly Mack fleet, has been since the 1970's. They purchased 50 new 2004 CX's. I was running the tow truck for the local Mack/Volvo dealer at the time. I towed 22 of those 2004's. One of them I towed for all 3 of the above reasons. Buy the time all was said & done Mack (corporate) purchased all 50 trucks back. The company purchased available Volvo's to replace the 2004's then Mack arranged for the dealership to take the Volvo's in on trade against 2005 & 2006 Mack's. I do know there were some turbo issues starting with 2001 Mack's and continuing for several years as well as some other things but nothing like what I seen with the 2004's.

The pre egr ETECH 460 XT was rated at 487hp and with an 18spd and 4.33 rears it should pull pretty good. The only repeat issue i remember with the ETECH 460's were turbos, the engines themselves are pretty reliable if taken care of.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

tag on the engine would say advertised hp rating, it would be 460 for a straight 460hp and 485 or 487 I cant remember for an XT, if it has a badge on the door that says E7-460 its a 460hp if it says E7-460XT its a 487hp.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Engine tag said 460… didn't look on the door. But could the plain 460 be reflashed to put out 485? Brought it home today to give it a good check over. Just rolled under with a creeper briefly and found a u joint a little loose and the yoke on the front diff is loose. output shaft on the front diff has some up and down movement ( a few thousandths) as well not sure if thats enough for concern though?? couple loose clamps on the power steering hoses and the centrimax housing seems to be leaking as well. Is that just an o ring? Other than that it seems pretty tight. I plan to take the oil plugs out tomorrow and see what that tells me.

The 2003 CH I had was a 460XT. The last of the production before the ASET motors and at the end of the CH set back trucks. It will be badged as a 460 on the engine serial plate and said Max HP 487 on the same valve cover serial plate. The door badging was seldom seen, with a 460 and a small xt beside it in 2001-02 production. I had to order the door badging from the dealer.

As far as I was told by the dealer, Mack stopped calling the 487hp a 460xt and just sold it as a 460 in the last year of E-tech production.

The last of the 460's(487hp) E-techs had a waste gated turbocharger.(our waste gate seized at 200,000 miles)

We worked ours pretty hard hauling 120,000lbs gross regularly. With an 18speed, 430 rears, double frame on 46 air ride.

A gentleman that bought it from us split the crank at 400,000 miles hauling the same gross weight.

That motor certainly did much better then any of our ASET motors for the hard work she did.

Day Cab CH's

It was the one with the aluminum rims in the picture.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info bbigrig, my engine has a wastegate turbo on it so maybe it is the 485hp engine. i plan to pull super b's with it and will be grossing at least 120,000. i pulled the plugs and there was a few little pieces of steel on the magnets of both diffs but I'm thinking the oils is pretty old, maybe original, and since it has diff locks maybe they were engaged while still spinning once and made a few pieces… hopefully nothing serious. Heres a pic of the beast

post-16715-0-35125000-1385512410_thumb.p

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me what oil mack recommends in the diffs (RD462 with diff locks) and the transmission (18spd maxitorque)

I found the recommendations on the mack website. Next question though is can anyone tell me the difference between using SAE 50w oil in the transmission versus synthetic 75W-90? Is one better than the other?

Not a huge difference in gear train wear etc. that I have seen in my trucks. They say running the non synthetic keeps the transmission a bit quieter and the wallet slightly fatter.. Change that diff fluid. Don't want that crap spreading around in there. Good luck with the Vision.

Neat looking truck, looks like a hard core Mack already with that grille guard.

I found a picture of what the 460xt door badging looks like on one of my older trucks.

Rah door.jpg

As you and I are both in North Country and 95% of the year share the same climate you can run straight or Synthetic. All of your gear train will be well worn in and no matter what oil you use, its not going to reverse or slow the wear that exists. When it comes to well worn trannies and Diffs that have hauled Canadian max. gross weight loads, the thicker oil will actually quiet things down slightly. Neat rig. Good luck.