always wanted one of those steel nose single axle R models. Town of Martinsburg Ny had 2 or 3 of them and one that was cherry along with a cherry B68 tandem axle about 12-15 years ago, last I knew they only used both trucks to haul sand in the summer and didn't see salt. both were like brand new when I saw them but they were getting rid of them because they were too old.... the B model was about a 63 and the R was an 86 or so. the B brought 5 grand I think and the r brought 7800. too much for my budget back then.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

always wanted one of those steel nose single axle R models. Town of Martinsburg Ny had 2 or 3 of them and one that was cherry along with a cherry B68 tandem axle about 12-15 years ago, last I knew they only used both trucks to haul sand in the summer and didn't see salt. both were like brand new when I saw them but they were getting rid of them because they were too old.... the B model was about a 63 and the R was an 86 or so. the B brought 5 grand I think and the r brought 7800. too much for my budget back then.

Wow you would think any town truck from Up State would be rust when they got rid of them. Getting harder to find the "Flintstones" style trucks. I'm going back tomorrow for a test drive.

Here's a dumb question,but I've never been around any. Is the radiator "shell" and front headlight panels the same on a RD as they are on a DM?

Mike, I believe the radiator shell is the same and the panels on the steel nose DM's and R's are the same.

Whats it got for a drive train?

Vinny, it has a 237 and a 10 speed.

Here's a dumb question,but I've never been around any. Is the radiator "shell" and front headlight panels the same on a RD as they are on a DM?

Mike , I think they are all the same with the exception of the RD800 that has six horizontal bars.

Wow you would think any town truck from Up State would be rust when they got rid of them. Getting harder to find the "Flintstones" style trucks. I'm going back tomorrow for a test drive.

Mike, I believe the radiator shell is the same and the panels on the steel nose DM's and R's are the same.

Vinny, it has a 237 and a 10 speed.

I like it what are you going to do with it? You haven't even worked on the Superdog yet.

I prefer the steel noses. Id like to one day to convert my dm to a steel snout

I have the front end with a radiator,and I think just the left fender for a DM600. also have at least 2 maybe 3 steel hoods. If you or anyone else is interested,let me know. also have a steel dash DM cab with the steel hood cowl brackets that was sandblasted and primed several years ago.has some rust but very workable.

If i was in the snow plow buisness I would personally rather have a fiberglass hood r model with the side access panels. Less rust issues and light weight. Not to mention when the plow is off its better access to the engine. Always wondered why peoplem kept buying steel hoods after the fiberglass hoods became standard. Wisconsin dot had a lot of sloped hood rd Mack's with this set up and they seam like they way to go in my book..

How much are they asking tim

They are asking 7500.00 Overall not in bad shape. We'll see tomorrow.

I like it what are you going to do with it? You haven't even worked on the Superdog yet.

Ya Ya Rob! Don't spoil my fun! I have worked the Superdog but my job gets in the way! Need a small dump for filling the wood chuck holes in my fields ;)

The fiberglass does have good access but doesnt the fenders flip foward just like the 800's

Fenders hinge forward and as for weight the steel nose is actually a bit lighter. The big draw back is unbolting the cab end of the fenders, to tip them, 4 bolts in each side. TMore time than just 2 latches and tilt the whole nose.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ok i thought so. Ohh didnt know there were that many bolts i figured four total. But as often as i run mine it would be do me fine. Plus i love the steel snout look. And does it matter its a lil harder to get to the engine? Its a mack shouldnt need to access the engine more than to check oil unlike the brand x trucks :-D

Eric

I think the later models wend down to 6 on the hardware count . Steel nose to me says MACK!

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Went and drove the Flintstone around this afternoon. Ten speed and geared high. Damn truck moves right out! Front pump and the dump goes up and down very nicepost-426-0-94343300-1382985302_thumb.jpgcab is clean but as you see, rockers and floor will need attention soon, a good sand blast and paint. Talk to the wise half tonight about it ;)

• Like 2