Mack Vision dash short

I have an 03 & an 06 Mack Vision, both trucks when hitting bumps in the road lose all the dash gauges, then they come back. If you lose all the gauges you can smack the top of the dash and they come back. Is this a common problem? Is there an easy fix?

I just shot an e-mail out to MACK today, concerning this very issue. The only differiance is that I am driving an 2004 Granit Series, Model # CV713. 5 of our trucks have this same issue only every time this happens, the low air buzzer comes on and it is driving me crazy!!!! I pulled the dash and went stright to the wire harness that plugs into the dash gauges. All of the "Locking" grips are in good shape where the male plugs into the female, yet when I move it just a hair, all the gauges go dead and on comes that stinkin buzzer. I will edit this post when I get a reply back from Mack. This is a copy of the e-mail I sent them today.

"I am requesting that you forward this e-mail to the proper department. We have 20 Mack Trucks in our fleet. There are two issues that several of our trucks are having. I have attached a picture of the data plates for these trucks.

Problem # 1.

The low air buzzer is going off on a constant basis. If the truck is run for 8 hours, the Driver will listen to this for 7 to 7.5 hours. I have pulled the instrument panel off the trucks and this is what I found. The connection from the wiring harness that plugs into the dash pannel is in tact. All of the "Locking Tabs" are in place between the two connections, yet when you move the connection just a hair, all the gauges go dead and the low air buzzer comes on. It is my opinion that when this happens, the truck thinks it is being started each time and that is why the buzzer is coming on. This problem is in direct violation of FMCSA's requirements not to mention a distraction to the Driver. Is Mack aware of this issue and if so, how do we fix it?

Problem # 2.

You can open either the Drivers door or Passengers door and lock the door with the key or the lock slider switch. Yet when you close the doors and lock them with the key, YOU CAN NOT UNLOCK THE DOORS! I have attached two pictures of the door lock mechanisms. There is no slop or binding points. I have removed the interior door panels and inspected all the mechanical linkage and everything seems to be in tact. Last Friday evening, I sat in a parking lot for two hours removing the rear glass so I could get back into my truck. Please keep in mind that I live in Northern Virginia and I have been in my truck, driving into DC and had people jump on my truck as I am going 1/2 mph due to traffic, just to steal a pack of cigs off my dash. I use a Rand McNally 720 GPS valued at $450.00 along with $800.00's worth of tools that I carry. When I go into a 7-11 to get a cup of coffee, I need to be able to lock my truck. 5 of our trucks with the same model # of the picture I sent you, have the exact same problem. Is Mack aware of this issue and if so, how do we fix it?

My credentials are as follows: 34 years as a Class A CDL Driver. Hazmatt, Tanker, Doubles & Triple Endorsement. TWIC and Driver Passport Cards. Master Tower License through the TRAA. (Towing & Recovery Association of America). Level 4/5 through WreckMaster Inc. Bendix Air Brakes and Hydraulic Certified.

Thank you in advance, from your #1 Bull Dog Lover. (Gggrrrrraaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllll). ;-)

Dana Tucker

Never Forget, You As A Driver and You Alone, Will Stand Before The Judge, For Your Actions Behind The Wheel!

ChristianTruckersForum.Net

They'll probably tell you to replace all problem dashes and lube and adjust all door-lock linkages. We get brand new trucks that the key wont unlock the doors. Usually its because they werent adjusted correctly at the factory or the customer never locked the door and the linkage needs adjusted from never being used and the door opening and closing 1000s of times.

Im interested in the reply you get.

• Like 1

I have had a couple of trucks that need the entire dash cluster as well. Bad circuit boards in both. One had the seat belt light come on which I didn't realize it had a seat belt light till it got stuck on due to a circuit board short. Cost about $500 Canadian for the cluster. One truck was a2005 CXN the other a CHN 2005 and 2006. Both of our brand new 2013 CXU's have had door adjustment and door seal issues constantly.

They'll probably tell you to replace all problem dashes and lube and adjust all door-lock linkages. We get brand new trucks that the key wont unlock the doors. Usually its because they werent adjusted correctly at the factory or the customer never locked the door and the linkage needs adjusted from never being used and the door opening and closing 1000s of times.

Im interested in the reply you get.

Bingo! You nailed it. That is just what they said! I asked them how do I adjust a door that has NO adjustments and the reply was, "We'll get back to you".

I have had a couple of trucks that need the entire dash cluster as well. Bad circuit boards in both. One had the seat belt light come on which I didn't realize it had a seat belt light till it got stuck on due to a circuit board short. Cost about $500 Canadian for the cluster. One truck was a2005 CXN the other a CHN 2005 and 2006. Both of our brand new 2013 CXU's have had door adjustment and door seal issues constantly.

Here again, you nailed it. Their advice was that we need to replace all the dash panels because the circuit boards have gone bad. My reply, "How about I just pull a $1.25 fuse!!!! Either that or just trace the wire to the buzzer and slap a toggle switch in between them. They are going to have to hoe a long row to get me back in their "Good Graces". I think I will see about just going with straight gauges, verses idiot lights.

Never Forget, You As A Driver and You Alone, Will Stand Before The Judge, For Your Actions Behind The Wheel!

ChristianTruckersForum.Net

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a 2005 vision that had the same prob, when hit a bump everything would shut off on the dashboard and the buzzer would go on every time. The problem was the plug behind the cluster, if u unplug it, clean it and on the actual dash if u split open every single connector on the back of the dash it will take care of that prob. It seems like its just not a strong enough connection.

• 5 years later...

Having issues with a 06 cxn just purchased gauge cluster dealership says old cluster gas to be downloaded then it has to be programmed to the new one  or certain things might not work. Is this 100% accurate if so what may not work. 

Only the truck models with the  MP engines need programming when replacing the dash cluster. On your model truck , the mileage is stored in the VECU and engine hours are stored in the engine ECM’. You can replace the cluster your self , it’s not hard.