Geez, Not Again!

other dog

Yep, for the second time I was parked, minding my own binness, when somebody ran into me. I had just unloaded at Lowes in Oakland, Md. and pulled from behind the store out into the main entrance road to put my wood away. I pulled over to the side and was sitting in the truck waiting to call headquarters, and for them to get the roads in a little better shape before I took off to Pittsburgh. It had snowed about 4 or 5 inches during the night, and it was 16 degrees.

Some kid in a Honda car took off from behind me and gassed on it, just playing I guess, and the car got away from him and slammed right into the step under the driver side door, slid up and took out my chrome hubcap and nut covers on the left front steer tire, and also broke the hubcap so the grease was leaking.

He blew his right front out when he hit me. I was putting my coat on when he came back and climbed on the side of the truck. I was highly pissed off already, and hadn't even seen the damage yet. But the first thing he did was apoligize, and when I got out I looked at him and saw a tear rolling down each cheek. He was only 20 years old, worked third shift- he still had his work uniform on- and said when he got off work he had to take his wife to work at Lowes before he could go home and go to sleep.

It was so stupid, and unnecessary...but after hearing his story, and the apology, and seeing him crying, I couldn't be too pissed off at him. We were all 20 once, and probably did stupid things. I put some duct tape on the broken hub cap, got his name, rank, cereal number, and insurance information, and that was that.

Stopped at Truck Enterprises in Harrisonburg last night and had the broken cap replaced, and picked up 2 new stainless steel hub caps and 20 new nut covers.

You can see his tracks here...

post-1374-0-60739300-1364005271_thumb.jp

My duct taped hub cap- held pretty good for a while!

post-1374-0-77984800-1364005366_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

that was nice, but will probably be your fault, same way david alan coe ran a red light and the headline was he was hit by a truck when he ran the light and fmcsa will say it was the truck drivers fault to help implement the new hours of service rule

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Must be the week for this crap! i picked up my reload yesterday in Pottsville,PA,was waiting for the greenlight to pull out of the dock,when the Werner (of course) backing in to the dock next to me pulled up and back about 35 times,a got the greenlight,went inside to get my bills/paperwork feeling confident that the Werner truck was straight and lined up................WRONG! when i came back out,there was a crowd gathered in front of my truck,oh shit! i thought,seems Werners finest ( a woman) pushed the streetside door off my brand new trailer! not having the patience i used too,lets just say it was'nt pretty! i'm sorry! i'm sorry! just does'nt get it done! i called the cops,of course when they do show up,theres "nothing they can really do,cause' its private property" got all her insurance info,license,truck/trailer numbers etc. still had to have a service truck come out and put the damn door back on! rookie i understand,in-experience i understand,but laziness,stupidity i don't! there was enough room between trailers to open the doors after you got backed in and straight,broad daylight,clear and sunny! just no reason for this bullshit! sat another 3 hours after i was loaded/ready to roll waiting on the Great dane guy,another hour to re-hang my door,which is one of the reasons i'm just now getting home!.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

2 foot back and you would be telling a different story. glad it worked out

you're right about that, I thought about that, or if i'd been out and just happened to step around the front of the truck when all this was going on.

I was the only thing anywhere around, and he had to run into me!

Must be the week for this crap! i picked up my reload yesterday in Pottsville,PA,was waiting for the greenlight to pull out of the dock,when the Werner (of course) backing in to the dock next to me pulled up and back about 35 times,a got the greenlight,went inside to get my bills/paperwork feeling confident that the Werner truck was straight and lined up................WRONG! when i came back out,there was a crowd gathered in front of my truck,oh shit! i thought,seems Werners finest ( a woman) pushed the streetside door off my brand new trailer! not having the patience i used too,lets just say it was'nt pretty! i'm sorry! i'm sorry! just does'nt get it done! i called the cops,of course when they do show up,theres "nothing they can really do,cause' its private property" got all her insurance info,license,truck/trailer numbers etc. still had to have a service truck come out and put the damn door back on! rookie i understand,in-experience i understand,but laziness,stupidity i don't! there was enough room between trailers to open the doors after you got backed in and straight,broad daylight,clear and sunny! just no reason for this bullshit! sat another 3 hours after i was loaded/ready to roll waiting on the Great dane guy,another hour to re-hang my door,which is one of the reasons i'm just now getting home!.......................................Mark

Damn Mark....What a week. Sorry you went through that and hope they replace your bent step. Worst part is people will see the damage and think you bull and jam. Back in the 80's working for Federal Paper I was working the yard with the yard donkey backing in trailers into the building, two inches on each side with a 102 and had been doing it all day. I pulled off the scale got straight and backed up. I always lined up with both mirrors then the drivers mirror getting close to the building. A large car pulled off the scale right behind me and stopped. He didn't notice I was backing up I guess and I had the right of way and I backed right into his new 379 F ing up the front end. He wasn't happy to say the least.

yeah, that's the reason I didn't call the police- figured they'd say "you're on private property, settle it amongst yerselves!" That's what I told our safety man Bobby when he asked me if I wanted to call them. He wanted to know if he was cooperative and I said "yes, very much so", and he was- he apologized for "driving stupid" and got his insurance info. and license right away.

I took a picture of this boy's license and insurance card- he's got GEICO by the way- he's only 5'6'', 125 lbs. If he'd been any kind of asshole about it at all it would be different, but I could tell he was really upset about it. He was trembling, and the tears...he even apologized to me for not going off on him.

So, did the Werner girl cry?

Ever hear of the "Lead Sled"? It's a W900 working show truck, I think the owner lives in Montana-we're facebook friends. There was a write-up in the "Movin Out" paper about it a year or so ago. Beautiful truck. Anyway, he had fueled up at a truckstop somewhere a while back, then pulled up to go inside. The Werner truck beside him pulled out and turned right and destroyed the hood on the Lead Sled.

post-1374-0-71185400-1364064227_thumb.jp

Damn Mark....What a week. Sorry you went through that and hope they replace your bent step. Worst part is people will see the damage and think you bull and jam. Back in the 80's working for Federal Paper I was working the yard with the yard donkey backing in trailers into the building, two inches on each side with a 102 and had been doing it all day. I pulled off the scale got straight and backed up. I always lined up with both mirrors then the drivers mirror getting close to the building. A large car pulled off the scale right behind me and stopped. He didn't notice I was backing up I guess and I had the right of way and I backed right into his new 379 F ing up the front end. He wasn't happy to say the least.

Well, you know when I started driving if you saw a truck with the 4 ways flashing it meant he was backing up, and you stopped and gave him the right-of-way. Now i've been backing in, with the 4 ways on, and had trucks drive behind me like it was nothing. Makes me wanna hit 'em sometimes!

• Like 1

yeah, that's the reason I didn't call the police- figured they'd say "you're on private property, settle it amongst yerselves!" That's what I told our safety man Bobby when he asked me if I wanted to call them. He wanted to know if he was cooperative and I said "yes, very much so", and he was- he apologized for "driving stupid" and got his insurance info. and license right away.

I took a picture of this boy's license and insurance card- he's got GEICO by the way- he's only 5'6'', 125 lbs. If he'd been any kind of asshole about it at all it would be different, but I could tell he was really upset about it. He was trembling, and the tears...he even apologized to me for not going off on him.

So, did the Werner girl cry?

Ever hear of the "Lead Sled"? It's a W900 working show truck, I think the owner lives in Montana-we're facebook friends. There was a write-up in the "Movin Out" paper about it a year or so ago. Beautiful truck. Anyway, he had fueled up at a truckstop somewhere a while back, then pulled up to go inside. The Werner truck beside him pulled out and turned right and destroyed the hood on the Lead Sled.

DAMN!!!

Well, you know when I started driving if you saw a truck with the 4 ways flashing it meant he was backing up, and you stopped and gave him the right-of-way. Now i've been backing in, with the 4 ways on, and had trucks drive behind me like it was nothing. Makes me wanna hit 'em sometimes!

Happens all the time! i try to get set-up as good as i can when backing,especially off a street,used to be only cars would try and pass you,but now more and more trucks do too! "gotta go,me,me,me"!!! no,she did'nt cry,really acted un-concerned,was on a cell phone at the time,and most of the time i was yelling! i tried to explain that i don't have 50,000 trucks or trailers at my diposal at any given time,but she assured me that Werner has a department that deals with accidents 24/7 365 days a year (hard to believe eh?) i even told the so-called "safety manager" she was on the phone,did'nt seem real concerned,even though its AGAINST THE LAW ! overheard on phone....................."oh,like i just knocked to the door off some guys like, stupid trailer,and he's making like, a big deal out of it,like i did something really wrong"! I never really thought about hitting a woman,but a was real tempted to slap this dizzy bitch!.......................Mark

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes.

When I was in college I went to the car dealer to get some parts for my car. I romped on the throttle as I pulled into the parking lot but when I went to stop, I noticed a patch of ice. I slid into the side of a new car and bashed the passenger door in with my front bumper. I was more upset than the new car manager. Didn't do anything to my car.

As they say...doo doo happens!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Mark,I know just how you feel.I was waiting to off load at a power plant that we were involved with the building of.I had our lowboy that was loaded with a part of the plant that had my gross at about 180,000lbs.Now mind you I was looking to back into the loading docks so that the crane could off load me,as I was watching this fellow try and back his company 53'er box into the dock next to me I could see that he had no idea what he was doing.So I just pulled up and away from him and sat and laugh my balls off as he hit the wall 3 times.After which I went over to him and asked him if he would like me to back it in for him.He was so glad I did that for him he broughted me lunch,he asked what I was driving I pointed to my load and he said no way would I fit in between him and the wall (that he hit 3 times).I just said watch me and I backed it in on the first try.Have a safe week ahead driving.Mike

Mark,I know just how you feel.I was waiting to off load at a power plant that we were involved with the building of.I had our lowboy that was loaded with a part of the plant that had my gross at about 180,000lbs.Now mind you I was looking to back into the loading docks so that the crane could off load me,as I was watching this fellow try and back his company 53'er box into the dock next to me I could see that he had no idea what he was doing.So I just pulled up and away from him and sat and laugh my balls off as he hit the wall 3 times.After which I went over to him and asked him if he would like me to back it in for him.He was so glad I did that for him he broughted me lunch,he asked what I was driving I pointed to my load and he said no way would I fit in between him and the wall (that he hit 3 times).I just said watch me and I backed it in on the first try.Have a safe week ahead driving.Mike

That sounds familiar, If I was working the yard I would get asked at least three times a day from JB Hunt of Sheinder Tranport if I could back them in. A 102 with swing doors would have to be opened after you were in the building because it was to tight. They would forget after getting loaded/unloaded and pull out ripping the doors off the trailer. The little gas station down the road was always busy!

I think its time to trade that KW for a Pinnacle set forward, or an old U model anything but the truck with the invisible bullseye.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That sounds familiar, If I was working the yard I would get asked at least three times a day from JB Hunt of Sheinder Tranport if I could back them in. A 102 with swing doors would have to be opened after you were in the building because it was to tight. They would forget after getting loaded/unloaded and pull out ripping the doors off the trailer. The little gas station down the road was always busy!

I had to take a 53' van to Louisville Sunday. Unloaded, reloaded, then had to bring it back to Lynchburg and drop it. Had to back off the street into a door and to the dock inside in Louisville. The door was pretty wide to back in, but there was very little room to maneuver in the street, and there was a pole right across the street. I only had to pull up 30 or 40 times though before I got it in there. Mark could have done it blindfolded.

Then when I got to Lynchburg yesterday evening I had to blindside it to the dock because there's not enough room to turn around. There was 3 docks there with a trailer at 2 of them- fortunately the open one was on the end nearest the back of my trailer, or i'd probably still be there now trying to back it in without hitting one of the other trailers. I had to pull up and back up 85 or 90 times on that one. It's harder when people are watching too. There was more room there, but still not enough to get straight. I started to call Mark, he probably could have done it blindfolded.

I like flatbeds, not near as many tight squeezes to get into...but it's all what you get used to I guess.

• Like 1

aint that a bitch,,,seems like thats all there is,,,is newby,s nowdays,,,sorry man...bob

I had to take a 53' van to Louisville Sunday. Unloaded, reloaded, then had to bring it back to Lynchburg and drop it. Had to back off the street into a door and to the dock inside in Louisville. The door was pretty wide to back in, but there was very little room to maneuver in the street, and there was a pole right across the street. I only had to pull up 30 or 40 times though before I got it in there. Mark could have done it blindfolded.

Then when I got to Lynchburg yesterday evening I had to blindside it to the dock because there's not enough room to turn around. There was 3 docks there with a trailer at 2 of them- fortunately the open one was on the end nearest the back of my trailer, or i'd probably still be there now trying to back it in without hitting one of the other trailers. I had to pull up and back up 85 or 90 times on that one. It's harder when people are watching too. There was more room there, but still not enough to get straight. I started to call Mark, he probably could have done it blindfolded.

I like flatbeds, not near as many tight squeezes to get into...but it's all what you get used to I guess.

LMAO! Me? what would i know? LOL! i agree Tom,its what you get used to,i learned more by nesessity than anything else,some of the places i go are not pretty! but i have to say i learned from the BEST! and i'm not just saying that because he was my Dad,but let me tell you,my Pops was the backinest up S.O.B (sorry grandma) i ever saw! i seen my old man put a truck in places make most people (including me) shit their pants! he made it look easy.Never really thought much about it when i rode with him summers as a kid,but when i started to have to do it for myself,i came to appreacieate talent! and i'm thankful everyday i had someone to show me the way to do things..........................Mark

• Like 2

Do they even teach reverse at " truck driving school" anymore? I've seen things that make me wonder if some even have em back up for the test let alone practice. I had to learn how to back up haulin a 36' equipment trailer behind a tandem axle dump, oh yeah it was an 84 Brigadier about 38 turns lock to lock. My first OTR gig was Howard Baer out of Nashville and haulin milk to grocery stores built for a straight truck with a 53' reefer and a long hood KW or Freightliner Classic makes you learn quick. Then back to tri axle dumps and little spaces, then the lowboy and having to get a hood and a detach into construction sites that aren't really conducive to maneuvering long vehicles. Sometimes necessity is a great teacher, that and not wanting to look like a fool!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"