•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fuel Supply Pump

• Please log in to reply
    14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leversole

leversole

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,765 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:B615 RW613
    • Year:1965 1989
    Contributor

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

The B has been down...it ran out of fuel and died...filters were changed last year and not many miles put thru them...before I spend the money on new filters, I figured I would test the pump...

I took the line to the supply pump (from the primary filter) off and put it in a bucket of fuel. Cranked a bunch and nothing...the hand primer doesnt pick up anything either, so I assume the pump has something jammed in one of the seats or the plunger is worn to the point where it wont pick up..

Anyhow, does any know where I can get a new supply pump...injector is a bosch APE...engine is a 1973 675...

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   Bumblebee090458

Bumblebee090458

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 336 posts
    • Model:B615T
    • Year:1964
    Contributor

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Are you leaking at the primer pump? I would also tap the side of the fuel injection pump with something like a rubber mallet. Not too hard though.

#3 OFFLINE   39 Baby Mack

39 Baby Mack

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,279 posts
    • Model:ED
    • Year:1940

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

The B has been down...it ran out of fuel and died...filters were changed last year and not many miles put thru them...before I spend the money on new filters, I figured I would test the pump...

I took the line to the supply pump (from the primary filter) off and put it in a bucket of fuel. Cranked a bunch and nothing...the hand primer doesnt pick up anything either, so I assume the pump has something jammed in one of the seats or the plunger is worn to the point where it wont pick up..

Anyhow, does any know where I can get a new supply pump...injector is a bosch APE...engine is a 1973 675...

Thanks

Leslie--

She's mad at you for paying so much attention to the Superdog!!!

Ron

• farmer52 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   farmer52

farmer52

• BMT Benefactor
    • 4,246 posts
    • Model:MH612
    • Year:1992
    Contributor

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Leslie--

She's mad at you for paying so much attention to the Superdog!!!

Ron

Yep, I agree with Ron....see what happens when you get another dog? :whistling:

Ken
    HOF City, PRR Country, and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

#5 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 697 posts
    • Model:B61T B61LT R685ST
    • Year:1963 1958 1972 the Bs are sleepercabs

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks

Thanks           Check the plastic check valves in the supply pump, mine sticks once in a while and wont start or pump up when it sits for a while. i take them out and put them back in and it will pump up and start.        Ron

#6 ONLINE   theakerstwo

theakerstwo

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,165 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:b61
    • Year:1957

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

There was one of those pumps on Ebay a week ago.

glenn akers

#7 OFFLINE   fjh

fjh

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,303 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Make sure you observe the width of the roller on the pump you take off if its a wide roller your OK if the roller is a narrow roller you can cause your self problems Compare the pump your putting in to the pump your taking off! Wide on narrow is ok narrow to wide is a problem.

#8 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 697 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

My B model has a robert bosch pump that has 4 check valves in the supply pump, the ones i have seen has 2, why would you need 4 check valves i heard they are high volume fuel pumps is there any truth to that.       Ron 

#9 ONLINE   2stacksuperdog

2stacksuperdog

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 3,675 posts
    • Model:RW 713
    • Year:1988

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Replace the check valves, all you need it a 3/4 wrench. My dads friend was dragging his r-model around the yard for a day with ether trying to start it. He called my dad and he went over there changed them truck started right up! There is no way to tell if good or bad.

Matt

#10 OFFLINE   Mack Doctor Jr.

Mack Doctor Jr.

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • 298 posts
    • Model:RS600
    • Year:1970

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have taking the supply pumps off before and compared them like this.  The guy from the local pump shop said to put the pump in bpth hands (roller facing away from u and fingers on it) try to pump push it in by tightening your grip.  The old one icould squeeze a little and the new one was impossible.  It may have just been a one and a million shot but it I sis notice a difference. 

As a note to some of u guys the pump shop did say the 350 supply pumps did flow a little more than the 300s.

#11 OFFLINE   leversole

leversole

• 1,765 posts
    Contributor

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well..the weather was so nice this afternoon I put some attention back to the B model's fuel issue...the local place is out of the primary filter I need...so...I rigged up a gravity flow into the supply pump, she started right up (after enough cranking the get the injectors and lines full)...so my guess now is that the primary filter must be plugged, and/or the pump is kinda weak...anywho, if the weather holds, i'll go get a Mack filter and give her a shot...

#12 OFFLINE   DodgeMan

DodgeMan

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • 389 posts
    • Model:LJSWX
    • Year:1952

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

You can buy the pump from a pai dealer.... There around 125.00. Its a complete assy. with the hand pump and mechanical pump with the 3 bolt flange.

#13 OFFLINE   leversole

leversole

• 1,765 posts
    Contributor

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Thanks...I may do that just for good measure...it has died on my twice, just lucky I was in the driveway both times and not on the road!

You don't have a part number do you?

#14 OFFLINE   leversole

leversole

• 1,765 posts
    Contributor

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Replaced the filters yesterday...no dice! Used the "Rob method" pumping air into the fuel tank...got fuel to the pump...no start....a three foot section of hose (to the supply pump) would not pick up out of a fuel can filled with fuel...pump must be dead...

#15 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 697 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Does anyone know if the supply pump from a american bosch pump will work on a robert bosch pump. i am having trouble with the plastic check valves sticking when it sits for a while.       Ron 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users