B873SX Rebuild Update

As I have said before in other post that I was restoring my B873SX tractor that has been in the family since new.Well here are some pictures of what I have done sofar.I have removed the seats,floor mats,heater and some of the floor panals.As you can see from the pic the cab floor is not that bad.The 2 back mounts need some mig welding.I would say that by the way the floor rip in those 2 spots that it would appear that the cab was leaning forward,hard to really tell.The 2 front mount you can't even see due to the 2 plates that have been welded in there.Looking up from the bottom the 2 bolts are in place,will be leaving the plates in place. There is some rust through along the bottom of the back of cab,not nothing to major.I have throught about taking the cab off but the building and ground where I have it stored at,I may have it sold and the buyer has cash in hand,so I may be looking for anew place.Don't want to get that involved and then have to move it in pieces.Things tend to get lost when you do that.Will keep you updated as I make headway.

post-628-0-14884600-1358729948_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-57037900-1358729971_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-93799000-1358729987_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-22369900-1358730018_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-98285400-1358730036_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-78716400-1358730053_thumb.jpg

Maddog,your right the 2 back outer bolts were added,I can't say when but will know more when I get a good look at the 2 center bolts as to why they were added. I can remember driving the truck as far back as the mid to late 70's and the cab had no movement then,so the bolts were added before that.The truck was used as a daily lowboy tractor right up till early 80's,after that it was used as a back up to the 2 DM800's we had running.

ditch the two extra bolts. the cab is made to have a little flex. i think id also grind those plates off that were welded over the front and see whats under there. thats just me tho, i hate to weld good steel over rotted out stuff. if you do leave them, id at least drill holes thru them and bolt them back down to the cab foot like the original was with 5/16 bolts. looks like they put the bolts back in on the one side and not the other.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Here are the pic after I removed the plates that had been welded onto the floor.It appear that the orignal floor panal in both sides rusted through,so our shop foreman decided that all that was needed was to just cover up the rust with a thicker peice of metal(putting perfume on a pig) that my throught.Since the orignal panal were most likely still able to be had from Mack but weren't in stock we decided to do our own body work,it work.I will weld in a patch alittle nicer that was done some 30 years ago.Maddog I am going to remove the two back outside bolts that we added,can't tell why they were added the 2 middle bolts are still holding.

post-628-0-40157600-1358808281_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-83293600-1358808298_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-33946300-1358808316_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-64642400-1358808327_thumb.jpg

looks really worse than it really is. you can get a cheap bead roller from Harbor freight to kinda replicate the strenghing ripples that were there originalls. might not be exact but it will make it stronger and its covered up by a floor mat anyways. its really only flat patches to so not that bad. make a pattern, cut it out, weld it in little by little. Larry (Freightrain) did his years ago and came out nice.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

It was alittle cold out today to do any work in my unheated building,so I used the time wisely and took my wife of 28 years back to her home town of Baltimore,MD to visit the gravesite of her parents.It would have been her mother's 91st birthday today.Will be picking up my passenger door from a fellow that made a lower door skin for it.The skin looks great,willpost a pic of it on Wed.

• Like 1

Another option would be to weld a piece of 1/2" angle with the "v" up to reinforce the panel on the underside. Not original, but it would work and would not be visible. Make sure you seal up whatever you do with "Chassis Saver" or "Por 15" to keep it from coming back.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That a great job you did on your truck.Once you throw the floor mat down no one will be the wiser.On mine I don't know why they added the two outside bolts to hold the cab down.I will be taking them out and just putting a piece of metal over that area.Working on sanding down the passenger door today,put a lower piece of skin on it where it had rooted out.

I'm going to use Por15 on the complete floor panals,and where ever else I can get it on.That stuff is alittle $$$ but it well worth it.

Check on "Chassis Saver" paint out of NY. I'm using it on the 72 IH I'm doing now. Cost me $104.00 for a gallon with the reducer on EBay.

http://magnetpaints.com/default.asp

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Well I got some work done on the old girl today.I have the cab lifted up off the frame,just trying to break the steering box loose.Then I have to rig up something to get my chain hoist abit wider,it short by about 2" to clear the rear tires,so I can drag the truck out from under the cab.I may just remove the rear outside tires to drag it out from under the cab.

Yes when I get her done it will be at the shows.You may be luckey enough to see her out on the road once in awhile.I think I'll do what Leversol does with his Superliner.My problem now is trying to get the steering box loose.It doesn't want to break loose from the frame.Will be working on that today.

Yes when I get her done it will be at the shows.You may be luckey enough to see her out on the road once in awhile.I think I'll do what Leversol does with his Superliner.My problem now is trying to get the steering box loose.It doesn't want to break loose from the frame.Will be working on that today.

Just got back from a backroads/I-80 run...been nasty weather last few days didnt get to drive it for two whole days!

Well I got some work done on the old girl today.I have the cab lifted up off the frame,just trying to break the steering box loose.Then I have to rig up something to get my chain hoist abit wider,it short by about 2" to clear the rear tires,so I can drag the truck out from under the cab.I may just remove the rear outside tires to drag it out from under the cab.

If I wasn't so damn sick I'd offer to come down and try to push the frame out from under. Put my young strength to use lol