Chicago R models

I was on a job with Mike Meyers the other day. Watched him get buried in front of me while trying to turn around. He ended up getting

out while dumping, wasn't his fault. The ground on the job is pure garbage. I told the guy from the paving company to just pave over the ruts. I give it two years before the parking lot gets torn out and re-done. Saw a Granite from IN with a skid steer on Fri, and this morning

I saw some new Granite's stacked up ducking the portables that were set up on Lake-Cook Rd. He went south on 53 back to 12 and

then up. Was headed north on 12, up towards Grayslake Mack maybe?

Followed Mike on my way back to the pit to get my last load of the day he was on his way home he turned off on allen road I went up to big timber. I like the old single axle B his dad has Mike told me he bought it the year he was born I hope he restores it when he owns it.

Mike Meyer's truck is actually a late '80's glider kit that was kitted from a '75 or so R model. Jerry "Jughead" Swanson had N. Ill. Mack kit the truck. He ran it until he bought his maroon RD sometime in the '90's. Another Bernardi Cartage O/O(Jay) had it for years before Mike got it. Far as I know, the red paint is 80 something vintage! Faded yes,solid you bet! Al

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Followed Mike on my way back to the pit to get my last load of the day he was on his way home he turned off on allen road I went up to big timber. I like the old single axle B his dad has Mike told me he bought it the year he was born I hope he restores it when he owns it.

I have pictures of that B-model about 40-ish pages back. Mike still has his green R-model also but it was nosed in and I couldn't get a good shot of it.

somebody told me lake-cook road is still a 73280# road. we run 80000# (or a little more) so when I go that way I take Dundee over to rt 12. maybe that's why they were out with the portables today

Yes. That is exactly why they had them up. The Palatine cop sits and watches that like a hawk. I think its entrapment in my opinion.

None of it is marked out on 53 or Lake-Cook through there so if your not from the area how would you know. You are doing the right

thing the way you are going. Palatine might still screw with you but at least your on an 80,000 pound road.

• Like 1

somebody told me lake-cook road is still a 73280# road. we run 80000# (or a little more) so when I go that way I take Dundee over to rt 12. maybe that's why they were out with the portables today

Yes lake cook rd is a hot spot for the portables. I live a few miles from here and it Seams once every month they are out there collecting money from unsuspecting drivers that run to the last exit of "53" and use lake cook to get to rt12.

I don't know why they don't change the routing of 53 to use that 1 mile segment of lake cook rd there is nothing between the highway and Rt12 . Only thing I can think of is that they want to keep heavy trucks off the bridge over the marsh?

Thank you was going to the lafarge pit to haul 3"to mound rd were put in those box culvers that were stacked there since 2008 then did the sewer and water now doing the road bed that's I'm driving that new deere rental haul truck

• Like 1

A little off topic, but I came across this picture of a Hendrickson vs. a tree. Looks like it didn't turn out well for either. The article

said it happened in Round Lake Beach, but was sketchy on details. Al do you remember this truck? Looks familiar.

post-13943-0-53998500-1430272975_thumb.j

• Like 2

Funny you should ask, but yes I do! That was Bob Sass (I think he lives out in Poplar Grove or Capron now) at Rte 60 & Bacon Rd.(Grayslake),I believe. That was really a clean,straight, 1- owner truck too. He had at least one more Hendrickson that he was going to build with a 12V-71 in it. He ended up buying an old W.Smith Cartage CH (painted it black) to replace the much mangled Hank you see here. Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Are the Builder trucks any relation to Orange Crush (Polumbo). The frame color and numbers on the bumper look similar. :blush:

Yes, Palumbo, Orange Crush, Builders Asphalt/Concrete are all one in the same. I think all or most of the builders trucks are formerly

Orange Crush trucks. The door jambs are still painted orange.

• Like 1

Saw these trucks on Sat hauling in concrete railroad ties to the pit. They are from out of town. Had Nevada and Utah plates on them.

They are doing the UP line that runs along RT38. I guess they have thousands of cross ties to bring in, each one has 25 lbs of steel

in them. This company also had a CL700 and a Granite but I did not get pictures of them.

post-13943-0-97469100-1430681670_thumb.j

post-13943-0-47622700-1430681683_thumb.j

• Like 2