Dodge cabover tractor

That's how I remember it.

Anchor Motor Freight-GMC 9500's

Nu Car Carriers-Ford Louisvilles

M&G Convoy-Dodge CNT 900's

Jim, the cabover I posted a picture of was an old Cassens Transport truck.Originally had a 8V-71,repowered with a NTC-350!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Jim, the cabover I posted a picture of was an old Cassens Transport truck.Originally had a 8V-71,repowered with a NTC-350!

Now that's what I call "trading up"!

I don't recall seeing Cassens on the east coast back then, the 3 I listed were the dominant carriers out that way from what I remember.

Ironically, I had to sift through pics of GMC's and IH's to find the pic below when google-ing M&G Convoy. I only remember Dodges

5391256452_68935cda84.jpg

• Like 1

Jim

Cassens is based in Edwardsville,Il. We see them around our neck of the woods,due the Chrysler plant in Belvidere,Ill.,about 20 miles from here.They too had the CNT Dodges back in the day.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

after reading the dodge truck review no wonder they never sold enough to keep making them, for over seven years they were advised of simple fixes that they ignored. Who would want a sleeper that had no insulation and no place to put your stuff, a step that scrapes your shin everytime you get in and a key switch that allows the air buzzer to sound no matter what postion it was in other than off, no way to listen to AM and 8 tracks at the truck stop with out hard wiring.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

after reading the dodge truck review no wonder they never sold enough to keep making them, for over seven years they were advised of simple fixes that they ignored. Who would want a sleeper that had no insulation and no place to put your stuff, a step that scrapes your shin everytime you get in and a key switch that allows the air buzzer to sound no matter what postion it was in other than off, no way to listen to AM and 8 tracks at the truck stop with out hard wiring.

Those are definitely legitimate complaints that should've been addressed, but there was a comparison test in another issue of Overdrive between the Dodge and the Ford WT9000. Overdrive clearly felt that the Dodge was the better of the two. I don't remember any of the details and cannot find the article anywhere.

Jim

Yes,OVERDRIVE did pick a part the trucks when they did their "Tractor Dissection Reports".Good thing too.Most manufacturers got on the ball,and corrected their faults then reported back to Mike Parkhurst & crew! I remember an article, in which he wrote "I refuse to do another report on a FORD cabover until they have proven to me they have built a truck that is worthy of my time to do it".They then developed the CL-9000. The stories he did on MACK & BROCKWAY were usually very favorable,as they should have been!

Yes,OVERDRIVE did pick a part the trucks when they did their "Tractor Dissection Reports".Good thing too.Most manufacturers got on the ball,and corrected their faults then reported back to Mike Parkhurst & crew! I remember an article, in which he wrote "I refuse to do another report on a FORD cabover until they have proven to me they have built a truck that is worthy of my time to do it".They then developed the CL-9000. The stories he did on MACK & BROCKWAY were usually very favorable,as they should have been!

I agree,when Mike Parkhurst ran/edited OVERDRIVE the reviews of Macks and Brockways were usually very good,he told me himself he had a soft-spot for "east-coast" truck makers,being from Jersey himself originally.I do remember when the Superliner came out,he gave it rave reviews,especially since Mack was making an effort to get into the owner-operator market bigtime,but his only dissapointment seemed to be the name,he said "super" has been used for everything from a comic-book character,to descibe the taste of an ice cream cone!" before the ultimate end of the "old" OVERDRIVE i remember he was REALLY hard on Volvo/White/GMC which i personally considered junk anyway!..............................................Mark
  • Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

i remember M and G carriers as a kid around upstate ny. seems they has alot of ''inside shopping'' going on with the mechanics and drivers. probably a reason why they arent around anymore. guy up the road from us drove for them, never bought heating oil all winter for his garage or house. and his neighbor who drove truck for himself never bought a tire . they would strip the truck of all the good tires and drive right back to the Albany ny terminal for 18 new ones. and forget about chains. he sold them to everyone around. everyone in the neighborhood had a 5/16 chain with the three different automobile hooks on them. recall stories of the mechanics sellin brand new Detroits right off the shippin dock to. got ordered for replacement in a truck and never got there. dont think the cars on the trailer ever got to the dealer with any gas in them either haha. lots of bad apples out there. think they were running GMC Brigideers back then

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Parkhurst sure had a passion for the success of the owner/operator,and wasn't afraid to share it! I met him @ MATS in Louisville in the late '90's while he was inspecting a new Freightshaker.

Knew i had seen a picture of Don Knotts looking into a Dodge cabover,after all this talk about OVERDRIVE,sure enough i went to Overdrive Retro.com,and there it was!........................................Mark

Yes that is the ad picture I remember. Thanks for finding and posting it.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Parkhurst sure had a passion for the success of the owner/operator,and wasn't afraid to share it! I met him @ MATS in Louisville in the late '90's while he was inspecting a new Freightshaker.

Thats where i met him too! talked for an hour or two,really enjoyed talking with him,at the time he was trying to start a new magazine,ROADMASTERS but i think think the financing fell through,and he could'nt get it going,a real shame because i relly like to know his take on out current "Commander in chief" and the state of what trucking has become in the last decade! Trucking/drivers lost a true friend when he sold OVERDRIVE!............................Mark

There's a situation that could get ugly.

I met Mike at MATS the year the freightliner "argosy" came out,and for some un-known reason i was standing in line to have a look at it,Dale Summers (truckin'bozo) was doing a live broadcast,interviewing people in line,asking them about their thoughts on the "new" truck freightliner was giving away at the show. So,when he gets to me,he shakes my hand,says to me,"so Mark Wright, owner-operator,leased to Clark Transfer Inc. from Elmer,NJ what would YOU do if you won this new Argosy?" I say "i'd take it down and trade it in on a new MACK"!!!!!! (on the air mind you) he makes the "cut" signal under his throat,"go to commercial"!!!!! made a disgusted face at me,and walked away! people in line sure had a good laugh! i thought Parhurst was going to piss his pants laughing!........................Mark
  • Like 2

I met Mike at MATS the year the freightliner "argosy" came out,and for some un-known reason i was standing in line to have a look at it,Dale Summers (truckin'bozo) was doing a live broadcast,interviewing people in line,asking them about their thoughts on the "new" truck freightliner was giving away at the show. So,when he gets to me,he shakes my hand,says to me,"so Mark Wright, owner-operator,leased to Clark Transfer Inc. from Elmer,NJ what would YOU do if you won this new Argosy?" I say "i'd take it down and trade it in on a new MACK"!!!!!! (on the air mind you) he makes the "cut" signal under his throat,"go to commercial"!!!!! made a disgusted face at me,and walked away! people in line sure had a good laugh! i thought Parhurst was going to piss his pants laughing!........................Mark

I'm fresh out of Likes, I owe you one. :twothumbsup:

Jim