Installing Windshield B61

Go to solution Solved by Freightrain,

I now have the new windshield gasket and my new cut glass. I did not put the fenders on yet like I was hoping, so I decided I am going to try to install the windshield.

I asked at the glass shop what it would be for the install and they want more than what I paid for all the cut glass and rear window gasket. So I will give it a try. I have installed flat glass and Chevy windshields so I will take my time and keep my fingers crossed.

What are your all's tips like where to start, where to put sealant etc..

Thanks in advance and I will document the install for posterity.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I used 3M putty strips cant recall but come in blue box. Put strips around pinch weld area and then press gasket over. Getting glass in is tricky and cant say what is best/easiest way. Lotsa cussing getting last corner in. If I recall I worked outside first then worked around to center strip. Didnt crack or break it so it was successful!!!

I paid local glass shop the $15? for putting in lock strip. Easier for them with the right tools and experience.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

need some windshield sealant on the pinchweld. Mack never used any originally but with the new shiny paint and clear coat it will leak, trust me!. glue the gasket on and work the center strip in. after that i have used dish soap or even pumice hand cleaner or foamy glass cleane as lube. get yourself a fiberstick( the white ones) from a glass shop. have used a paint stick but the fiberstick is easier. lube it up and slide the glass in fron the side,(twards the center bar) keep pressure on it twards the front and work the gasket around top and bottom with fiberstick, take a break if you have to but it will slide right in. the lockin strip is the bitch part. get yourself the tool to do it and lube that up really well. never put any sealant on glass but make sure you seal gasket to the pinchweld and the gasket to the metal center bar. maybe even alittle more in the center cause it will leak and fill the ashtray full of water, trust me. haha

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I was going to reuse the center metal strip (slides into the gasket with three holes) from the old gasket but it is to far gone for reuse so I asked my neighbor who does custom fabrication and sheet metal work to see if he can come up with something. He said it is close to 18 gage sheet metal.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Matco and Lisle both make the Lock strip install tools cost about 12 or 14 bucks, Saves a ton of time putting in the lock strip after the glass is in.

post-3242-0-44505500-1352391210_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 years later...
  • Solution

I put strings all around my drivers side, after the fact. Mine started leaking after I put new glass/rubber in. I pulled the lock strip out a couple winters ago, put caulk strips around outside and put lock strip back in. Seems dry. Mine does have some rusty issues and the edge is not smooth/flat anymore. Better to put it all around and not need it then find out it leaks.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 4 years later...