•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No brake lights to trailer ?

• Please log in to reply
    5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oodiee

oodiee

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 1 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:CH713 dump truck
    • Year:1996

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hi i have a 96 ch700-713 dump truck that i bought from a widow was a one owner etc.. It was set up for air brakes and a semi plugh in back . I switched it to the 6 pin round plug also put in the brake controller.. My problem is we have tried EVERYTHING i have singles 4 ways and marker lights . And even the brake controlers works perfect .. the problem is we can not get brake lights on the trailer !! The trailer i 1 yr old econoline trailer and it has a 5 wires the truck has 6going to it.. Does anyone have an idea what the heck i am doing wrong? Is there a brake switch we should be hooking into on the truck? Thats what i think is wrong ? Any help would be great thanks jerel

#2 OFFLINE   momack

momack

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 179 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:RS686
    • Year:1979

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

The trailer sounds like.it is set up for being towed behind a pickup or lighter duty truck that has the turn signals and brake lights on the same circuits. I'll have to look how I set mine up to overcome that problem. Give me a couple of days.

#3 OFFLINE   farmer52

farmer52

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,859 posts
    • Model:MH612
    • Year:1992
    Contributor

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Did you connect the brake controller "brake wire" to your vehicle brake light circuit?
    Ken
    HOF City, PRR Country, and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

#4 OFFLINE   RowdyRebel

RowdyRebel

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,422 posts
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:2001

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

The trailer has 5 wires...what are they? Most likely:

Ground

Tail

Left turn/brake

Right turn/brake

Electric brakes

The truck has 6 wires...typically those are going to be:

Ground

Tail

Left turn/brake

Right turn/brake

Electric brakes

Aux. power

A 7-round "RV" style plug would have

Ground

Tail

Left turn/brake

Right turn/brake

Electric brakes

Aux. power

Reverse

Now on a commercial vehicle, the 7 round plug has:

Ground

Left Turn

Right Turn

Tail

Marker

Brake

ABS

If you want you turn signals to operate the brake lights, your best option is to tap into the rear tractor light circuit to get the power to your 6-round plug for the turn signals, since the tail lights on the tractor operate in the same dual-function manner (turn/brake lights).
    When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

#5 OFFLINE   RowdyRebel

RowdyRebel

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,422 posts
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:2001

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Did you connect the brake controller "brake wire" to your vehicle brake light circuit?

That isn't a very good idea, since the brake controller is supposed to translate brake pressure into an electrical signal which tells the brakes how hard they need to apply. If you wire the brake lights into that same circuit, the brightness of the brake lights will vary...the harder you apply the brakes, the brighter the lights will be. It would be better to tap into the proper circuit in the truck to control the turn/brake lights.
    When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

#6 OFFLINE   farmer52

farmer52

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,859 posts
    • Model:MH612
    • Year:1992
    Contributor

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

That isn't a very good idea, since the brake controller is supposed to translate brake pressure into an electrical signal which tells the brakes how hard they need to apply. If you wire the brake lights into that same circuit, the brightness of the brake lights will vary...the harder you apply the brakes, the brighter the lights will be. It would be better to tap into the proper circuit in the truck to control the turn/brake lights.

I remember connecting a wire to the brake switch at the pedal. But this was a pickup not a semi.
    Ken
    HOF City, PRR Country, and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users