Rollaway & Height sticker question

Mack007

Hey guys,

I recently lost my Job because I feel may be a faulty truck and company negligences. I need advice on this matter. I had two accidents. The first accidents was because I got caught underneath a over pass because the height of the truck was not posted on the truck. So my question is: Does the height sticker of the truck MUST be posted in or around the truck DOT Regulation? My second accident is: Does a Mack sanitation truck that has a digital shifter, suppose to move after the airbrake is applied and the PTO is turned on? Also does the digital transmission shift into neutral after the airbrake is applied to prevent rollaway?

your advice.

Ok well some good questions. First off I would say if you hit a bridge "THAT IS THE FAULT OF THE DRIVER NOT THE COMPANY" You should of known the height of your equipment prior to moving. and know your route. As to the second question since I have never driven an automatic I can't awnser. But I would think with the brakes on and in gear it should not roll. good luck but it goes like this saftey is the drivers responsibility.

Sorry, I'm going to speak the truth here and you wont like it.

A driver is always responsible for being aware of the conditions and operations of his vehicle, despite federal, state or local regulations/standards and or internal company policies. You state "Are they required to post the height decal?" I counter that with "why dont YOU know for yourself what the max height of your vehicle (including the roll off container) is- Dont you have to plan your route around low bridges accordingly or do you always wait until you arrive at the scene of the crime to see the height signs and then decide to play "Russian Bridge Roulette?"

And as for the transmission- whether it is supposed to shift into neutral or not is beside the point- why didn't YOU shift it into neutral and verify that it was in neutral YOURSELF?

No offense, but it sounds like you had two different accidents that could have been prevented, you got called out onto the carpet for it, and you are now looking for an escape. I probably would have fired you too if I were your boss.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Sorry, but I have to agree with the above.

YOU are responsible for the safe operating condition of the truck.

That includes your overhead

You are responsible for the safe operating condition of the truck.

That includes insuring the truck is out of gear before running PTO up.

I worked in the garbage bus. for about 15 years.

As a matter of fact, I still do

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Dont at all mean to sound like a dick,but maybe trucking is not for you? i see plenty of folks on a daily basis that have absoulutely no business in a truck! you should know your height BEFORE you drive,know the workings of your equipment BEFORE you drive,it is YOUR responsibilty as a driver to operate safely and professionally..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Trying not to sound like a dick but as everyone else has said it is fully the drivers responsibility to know your height......I have drove several trucks without a height sticker or anything showing how high it is. Even if you have to get out and get on top of the cab and block traffic that is better than slamming into a low overpass. On the other deal you always make sure the truck is out of gear "whether it be an automatic or standard" before you try to leave the cab or engage your pto and make sure the pto is disengaged before driving just my .02 cents

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

we have volvo.s and kenworths,,with automatics,,,both stay in gear with the maxi,s on...but it shouldnt have moved,,less the brake adjustment was way off...but as most guys said,,,the height matter is your puppy,,,its just an experience deal,,,versus rookie,,,most of us woulda stopped and looked up to make sure it would fit,,,but without experience maybe you would just shoot thru,,and assume it was high enough...good luck.bob

I will say, I have known/driven some garbage trucks that when on route, you could hit a park lever that would/should put the trans. in N and set the park brake too.

Maybe he can move away from the area, say raleigh, NC and apply for a roll=off position

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I will say, I have known/driven some garbage trucks that when on route, you could hit a park lever that would/should put the trans. in N and set the park brake too.

Maybe he can move away from the area, say raleigh, NC and apply for a roll=off position

LOL. We will be accepting applications Wednesday morning, November 7.

• Like 1

LOL. We will be accepting applications Wednesday morning, November 7.

Sirs, As a former chief executive, I have not had experience in the position you offer. BUT I do have experience in slinging B.S. around and blame transfer, which is a form of waste management. I will be available the second week of January 2013 to take over to join your company. Thank you, Barry O

P.S. When do I get my first vacation? B.O.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sirs, As a former chief executive, I have not had experience in the position you offer. BUT I do have experience in slinging B.S. around and blame transfer, which is a form of waste management. I will be available the second week of January 2013 to take over to join your company. Thank you, Barry O

P.S. When do I get my first vacation? B.O.

We do give preference to the handicapped, but will require copies of all records from institutions of higher learning that you claim to have attended.

We do give preference to the handicapped, but will require copies of all records from institutions of higher learning that you claim to have attended.

Mama Chev-volti certified I was birthed when I come out and she saw me breathing. Never been in an institution....I'm SANE, I've got no records as we now use I pods and Blu Ray, and I never learned when high.... but... I got free phones for you all instead

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

"Authorities say the driver of the truck is a Cuban national man who could not provide a driver’s license and spoke broken English. They are bringing in a translator"

Ought to bury him and the company that hired him too. We'll end up being lumped in with that driver by DOT I'm sure. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

"Authorities say the driver of the truck is a Cuban national man who could not provide a driver’s license and spoke broken English. They are bringing in a translator"

Ought to bury him and the company that hired him too. We'll end up being lumped in with that driver by DOT I'm sure. Paul

You got it. It's a shame that for those of us that play by the rules have to suffer for the negligent companies who hire and run the illegal operations. I just got my letter a few weeks ago about the physical card that I have to maintain if I want to be able to drive.... All the hoops someone who wants/needs a CDL and has to maintain it including CSA get thrown out the window when this jagoff who can't speak or understand english causes an accident.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I have operated Allison equipped refuse trucks that went to neutral automatically then the park was set, I was told that many one man trucks were being left in gear when the driver jumped out to sling, it was both a safety and economy issue, the safety issue is obvious, especially some of the very low geared ones(mid 5 to low 6 ratios) could pull through the park brakes if poor adj or worn bad, but I had to be shown on one of the newer granites that fuel consumption at dead idle increased several points in GPH in gear vs neutral. I'm not taking up for this fellow one bit, both of these are his mistake, just mentioning that some out there do exactly what he asked if I understood his question correctly