R686ST with hood scoop

neighbor of ours had two 70's R600's one had a 237 and 10 speed and the other had the hood scoop, a 300+ with hood scoop and a 10 speed and air starter. i remember that truck growin up. they both got beat to shit and never taken care of. eventually the one with the 300+ got sold when they went out of business and the engine got put in a DM with the cheap dual inlet air cleaner and not the badass hood scoop.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

First truck I drove was a rs700l with a 285 and a hood scoop. If I recall there was a big can with a filter in it that was sitting to the side of the turbine. When the hood was shut the filter would draw air in from the scoop. It was in my opinion a cheep way to get the result and cluttered the engine. The scoop did look cool tho...rare to see them these days...

was a white R model with a blue frame and an exhaust unloader on the stack i assume for offloadin concrete? at Macungie last year. cant find a pic of it now tho. wish i had an underhood pic as i wanna put a hood scoop on the R model im buildin with a 300+. i have the scoop and ductwork, just dunno where to bolt it as my truck is a 66 and the truck it came off of i assume was a 78 or so , so the radiator was bigger. mine has the smaller b model sized radiator so id like a pic so i ana make a mount for the under hood filter and ductwork.

The scoops started showing up around '73-'74 when the first 300 Series Maxidynes came out.I want to say it was '77 or so when they combined the 2 filters into the 2 -stage air cleaner (U.S. production). I had a '79 R612ST (Canadian production) that had the scoop for the tip-turbine filter.As they were using a single stage air cleaner yet,with an air-operated "foul weather" under hood intake valve to keep snow and rain out of the air cleaner(like the old cable-operated set-ups in the R's).I elimated the piping and that filter, for the 2-stage set-up.I have some pictures of the "engine room" that the previous owner had sent me.(showing the original set-up air cleaner)I will look for them.I see some guys are using a K & N style filter now for the tip turbine.It's not original,but it gets the job done!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

For the record, the early "cool power" 300's with the hood scoop and tip turbine were the strongest running of all 300s. Just ask anyone that operated one. Interestingly, after the passing of the tip turbine in the US domestic market, they were still produced for export. I recall often seeing them at the Howard Sober yard (new truck forwarder) for delivery to South America. Those trucks were also ordered without heaters, leaving newfound space under the instrument panel.

the RS612LST52368 i got my 300+ and 10 speed RR out of had the 2 stage air cleaner. i believe the truck was a 1980 and a western. had the ridge down the center of the hood like some of the late R700's had. somone hacked it off and made it a single axle with a pete rear end. the guy drove the whole truck to the junkyyard and got a whole $1800 for it.the cab was shot. we bought the engine and tranny out of it for a grand. come to find out it was a fresh rebuilt 300+. we put it in a 66 R600. had to make mounts for the transmission and use to old R600 radiator as the one out of the R612 was the long western radiator and had different mounts and spring hangers. i would like to put a single outlet air cleaner on it and a hood scoop as the big 2 stage air cleaner just doesnt look right on the cab to me. i like the looks of the old school small oil bath 1966 air cleaner but i assume the 300+ would suck the oil right out of the air cleaner pan so im up in the air about the hood scoop/air cleaner decision.

Up here the Lewis County NY Town Barn has 2 matching DM tandem dumps. (most likely sisters) I dont know about the other one, but one of the DMs was doing a job by my house and it had a hood scoop. Most likely a tip turbine then? I actually dont know where the other one went. Havent seen the hood scoop one in awhile now though. That red R model you posted staxx is awesome. Hope something gets done too it.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

ok here is a question while on topic of the tip turbines....Why was it that some 285's only had the air charge cooler and others had the air/water charge cooler? My truck is air only but have seen other 285s with the air and water set up?

I thought that the 285 was air only and the 300+ was both air and water?

what does it take to convert a 285 to a 300+ Is it as simple as a charge cooler and pump setting change? im putting in the 12 speed soon and have a water/air cooler. It would be cool to convert it over to a 300+ if its not much trouble.

ok here is a question while on topic of the tip turbines....Why was it that some 285's only had the air charge cooler and others had the air/water charge cooler? My truck is air only but have seen other 285s with the air and water set up?

I thought that the 285 was air only and the 300+ was both air and water?

what does it take to convert a 285 to a 300+ Is it as simple as a charge cooler and pump setting change? im putting in the 12 speed soon and have a water/air cooler. It would be cool to convert it over to a 300+ if its not much trouble.

I can't answer your question but my 300+ was air only no water,I was told the water setup was way more efficient at lowering air temps.