•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

L Model Mack

• Please log in to reply
    24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,774 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:B61
    • Year:1961

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:23 AM

Hi all,
    I have just found this L model tucked away near by and I was wondering exactly what model it is. The owner bought it to restore but so far it has been sitting there for about a year. It looks to be in good condition and if he is willing to sell it I might buy it. The only thing is what engine and transmission could be in that beast? One worker told me that the engine is shot and might need replacing alltogether. Which brings me to my next question; what do you guys think about classic macks with modern engines and transmissions? Some people say it detracts from the classic appeal of the truck and some say its the looks that count not what is under the hood. Is it worth it to replace/restore the original engine/tranny or go with a more modern setup? I would love to spend my spare time fixing this old dog.

Oh and does the dump box look to long? I dont even think it was ment to be on that short a wheel base.
    [attachment=134:attachment]
    [attachment=135:attachment]
    [attachment=136:attachment]
    -Thad
    What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

#2 OFFLINE   Andy in West Oz

Andy in West Oz

Andy Wright

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 348 posts
    • Make:Hunting an E

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:18 AM

Hi mate

There'll be other guys on here that'll answer your request more precisely as they know a heck of a lot more than me.

My 2 cents though is that she almost looks like a tractor that has had the dump body tacked on later. That's probably a pretty obvious answer that you've no doubt worked out for yourself.

With regards to putting more modern engines in to a Mack like that (I reckon she's an LJ of some sort, late 40s, early 50s), ultimately, I don't think anyone would begrudge you for getting another old Mack back on the road. It sure would be a lovely thing to see barrelling down the highway! It will depend on your budget and your skills. Sure, it'd be great to keep the original engine and trans but if they prove uneconomical to repair....there are plenty of B Models getting around with 300 Coolpowers and more modern engines (and you should be able to find exact replacements for whatever it's got in there, if that's what you want to do). The cool thing about trucks, Macks in particular, is that they just keep working so they are bound to wear out engines. I've come across hardly any unrestored old Macks that are still 100% original but it is always a pleasure to see an old Mack, modified/updated or whatever.

All the best with trying to buy her. She looks a cracker. Btw, I'm 28 and there are a few guys on here in their 20s so don't worry about being a "youngster"! It's never too early to own an old Mack!

Cheers and good luck!

Andy

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 78 entries
    The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

#3 OFFLINE   jim

jim

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 60 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:u600
    • Year:1985

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:33 AM

Personally I would try and keep the truck as original as possible. It may be more aggrevating trying to get parts and so fourth, But in the end you have a beautiful original classic mack that is worth a lot more money to the purist. The value of these is the same as a numbers matching collectors car They are worth more $$$$ in there original state !! It looks like you have a diamond in the rough there!! "definetly lots of potental!!." Hopefully you can pick her up for the right price!
    Jim Shea !

#4 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,070 posts
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:32 AM

that truck is in great shape for its age!! I would love to own that truck!!

Andy..... could you explane what the coolpower mack engine is. I have heard that the R models came with 2 air cleaners with this engine. Was the truck in Mad Max a cool power??? it had 2 air filters

#5 OFFLINE   B61 Bill

B61 Bill

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:50 PM

It is a nice looking truck for it's age. Yeah, the bed is too long or to put it in a better way, the CA (Cab to Axel) is too short, like you have mentioned. I agree with Andy that it mostly likely was a tractor and someone stuck a bed on it. I would at least try to salvage the engine before considering a change. Keep us posted.

#6 OFFLINE   Andy in West Oz

Andy in West Oz

Andy Wright

• Bulldog
    • 348 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

Trent

Yep, the Mack in Mad Max was a Coolpower. My impression of the Coolpower (and I've never had it explained well to me!) was that it was an Econodyne with a few mods for use in Australian conditions. From what little I know, the head had an aftercooler attached to its side. They also added a fan to increase airflow over the aftercooler which I'm guessing is a standard practice. The cooler air would have increased power and, given the distances trucks travel as a norm in Australia, improved fuel efficiency. I think they were also characterised with 2 air cleaners but in Oz, this is common for most long haul trucks, plus the high rise attachment of course!

I was under the impression that it was a standard Mack engine designation or nickname. Would love to know more as it is a popular option in Bs and Rs down here.

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

#7 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 646 posts
    • Model:B61T B61LT R685ST
    • Year:1963 1958 1972 the Bs are sleepercabs

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:23 AM

When Mack came out with the 300 series engine in 73, it had the first air to air intercooled engine, when it first came out they introduced it as ( new cool power ) it is the same as tipturbine that bolts on the engine. Ron

#8 OFFLINE   Andy in West Oz

Andy in West Oz

Andy Wright

• Bulldog
    • 348 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:24 AM

Ahhhh, as in tip turbine fan! Onya Ron! Btw, that's a sweet B you got there too!

Cheers

#9 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 646 posts
    • Model:B61T B61LT R685ST
    • Year:1963 1958 1972 the Bs are sleepercabs

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Andy i could not aford to do it all at once, i have the sleeper and back of the cab done , just have to do from doors foward, work never stops, i forgot to tell you the first tipturbine engines 73,74 ,75, had hood scoops, didnt go thru the air filter. Ron

#10 OFFLINE   Andy in West Oz

Andy in West Oz

Andy Wright

• Bulldog
    • 348 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:29 PM

Ron

Wow, and I thought you'd finished her! Mine's a bit scruffier than that, currently looks good from about 50 metres away, get closer and you see all of the dings in the paint, the worn areas, spot rust etc! Ah well, makes it interesting and fun! She'll be black and yellow one day and I won't notice her!

Hood scoops? Really?! In that case, I guess the twin air filters on the Mad Max Coolpower might have been an "Australianism", depending on how age of the engine.

Thanks again Ron!

Cheers

#11 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,070 posts
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

could ithave been possible that one air cleaner went to the turbo and the other to the tip turbine?

#12 OFFLINE   DGioMack

DGioMack

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 135 posts
    • Model:B 61T
    • Year:1957

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:32 PM

Thats a nice looking truck, the L model. I'd pick her up in a heartbeat. (even if I didnt have the room in my yard) :chili:

#13 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:21 PM

Hi mate

There'll be other guys on here that'll answer your request more precisely as they know a heck of a lot more than me.

My 2 cents though is that she almost looks like a tractor that has had the dump body tacked on later.  That's probably a pretty obvious answer that you've no doubt worked out for yourself.

With regards to putting more modern engines in to a Mack like that (I reckon she's an LJ of some sort, late 40s, early 50s), ultimately, I don't think anyone would begrudge you for getting another old Mack back on the road.  It sure would be a lovely thing to see barrelling down the highway!  It will depend on your budget and your skills.  Sure, it'd be great to keep the original engine and trans but if they prove uneconomical to repair....there are plenty of B Models getting around with 300 Coolpowers and more modern engines (and you should be able to find exact replacements for whatever it's got in there, if that's what you want to do).  The cool thing about trucks, Macks in particular, is that they just keep working so they are bound to wear out engines.  I've come across hardly any unrestored old Macks that are still 100% original but it is always a pleasure to see an old Mack, modified/updated or whatever.

All the best with trying to buy her.  She looks a cracker.  Btw, I'm 28 and there are a few guys on here in their 20s so don't worry about being a "youngster"!  It's never too early to own an old Mack!

Cheers and good luck!

Andy

View Post

As soon as I have time I will try to aproach the owner with an offer. And yea I thought it was a tractor too. You can even see in the front picture the dump box isnt even strait. In the full size side view I can see a chain passed over the dump subframe to the truck frame to hold it on. I wish the frame was able to hold that dump box but the heck with it. I would put a 5th wheel on it. As for the engine/trans I will see. I am not into gassers (have a GMC 6000 gas and it stinks) and if it is gas then I would rather a diesel, Mack diesel that is. What Mack diesel would be a good fit? The older the better all mechanical no electronics.
    -Thad

#14 OFFLINE   Andy in West Oz

Andy in West Oz

Andy Wright

• Bulldog
    • 348 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

Thaddeus

Any of the 673s or earlier would be fine for her, I reckon, although wouldn't know if a 673 would fit, I guess it would (never seen an L in the flesh!). I can't remember what the Ls usually had (am I right in thinking some had Lanovas) but one of the guys here will tell you (and me!).

Btw, once you find out the chassis number, send it off to the Mack Museum and they will tell you when she was originally built and what she originally had in her. They are brilliant and do the work for free so be sure to give them a donation for their excellent efforts!

Cheers

#15 OFFLINE   B61 Bill

B61 Bill

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 47 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

have a GMC 6000 gas

Just curious on what year your GMC is?

#16 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,774 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

Just curious on what year your GMC is?

View Post

It is a ride truck. It has the original 1964 half moon swing ride body on it. The original Chassis was an IH R-something model that fell appart due to neglect by my uncle. If I had the chance I would swap the GMC for a B-6-something. A B model with the old ride on it would be a sure hit at truck shows (especially with the kids!)

[attachment=151:attachment]
    -Thad

#17 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,774 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:18 PM

Thaddeus

Any of the 673s or earlier would be fine for her, I reckon, although wouldn't know if a 673 would fit, I guess it would (never seen an L in the flesh!).  I can't remember what the Ls usually had (am I right in thinking some had Lanovas) but one of the guys here will tell you (and me!).

Btw, once you find out the chassis number, send it off to the Mack Museum and they will tell you when she was originally built and what she originally had in her.  They are brilliant and do the work for free so be sure to give them a donation for their excellent efforts!

Cheers

Andy  :mack1:

View Post

Would this be a 673? MAck 673 in an M54
    -Thad

#18 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,774 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

I have just taken some more pictures of the truck. Since it is parked on the street I walked up to it and opend it up like I owned it :D . Well the transmission is probably a 6 speed maybe even a 5 but for such a heavy truck of that year? The interior is in good shape with little or no rust. It has a double frame, PTO w/hyd tank on the passanger side and camelback suspension. The Engine is a mack turbo engine of some sort possibly not the original. I have no clue as to what the engine model is but in the pics there are 2 numbers as follows:

Just below the upper radiator hose where it meets the coolant manifold - 439Gb3101
    On the larger part of the coolant manifold - 1076C47066 (the last 3 or 4 digits I am not shure of, too little light and cant tell from the pics.)

Engine:
    [attachment=152:attachment]
    [attachment=153:attachment]

Plate:
    [attachment=154:attachment]

Interior:
    [attachment=155:attachment]

Model LFSW
    Chassis # LF2D2327D

The name plate has only the model and chassis number. The horse power and GVW/GCW is blank.

Oh and I was right the dump body is held on by chains bolted to the frame using makeshift brackets. Not even on there strait.
    -Thad

#19 OFFLINE   Andy in West Oz

Andy in West Oz

Andy Wright

• Bulldog
    • 348 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hi mate

Here's the address for the guys at the Mack Museum to find out a bit more about that very sweet L!

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum
    Don Schumaker and Snowy Doe, Co-Curators
    997 Postal Road
    Allentown, PA 18103
    Telephone: 610-266-6767
    Fax: 610-266-6823

LFSW? Nice!

Cheers

#20 ONLINE   Superdog

Superdog

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• BMT Benefactor
    • 4,136 posts
    • Make:Mack (163 at last count)
    • Model:AC to CHN613
    • Year:1921 to 2007

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

Looks like its been repowered with a 237 Maxidyne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users