•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Big Iron Photos

• Please log in to reply
    24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   j hancock

j hancock

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• BMT VIP
    • 5,225 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:B75
    • Year:1959
    Contributor

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Marino Crane's Mack LR on the Northfield Mountain, MA jobsite a few days after bringing in new electrical equipment.

Attached Files

• umodelnut likes this

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

#2 OFFLINE   umodelnut

umodelnut

U685ST

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 7,989 posts
    • Model:U685ST-11692
    • Year:1975

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

awesome!!!! do you have any u model pictures?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   JumperAndSon

JumperAndSon

Two Stroke Crazy

• BMT VIP
    • 1,160 posts
    • Model:B-60T, B-61SX, B-61LT
    • Year:1956, 1959, 1960

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Well, if I thought there was a truck out there that could move a load, that would be it. Cool pictures.

Ben
    gogreen.JPG

#4 ONLINE   james j neiweem

james j neiweem

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 843 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Marino is from Middletown ct. They have/had two of those. They were ex Gerosa units. I got to see them painted from green and white to Marino red.They also have an
    Autocar AP that pulled all of the decommisioned equipment from the Nuclear plant Conneticut yankee that I worked at. Too bad one of the Mack L's didn't come down.
    The A-car pulled the steam generator shells up the hill from the plant using a western star as a pusher. The shells had to be about 100 tons and they were pulled and pushed
    up a 15-20% grade(guess). Morino has a bunch of kw-900's for lowboy flatbed work. (Time for a Titan tryout). Marino was recently bought out by a company from New York I beleive.
    Mack has pretty much lost the heavy haul business. Although the CL offered cummins cat and detroit at first' towards the end it was just Cummins. Pacaar probably cornered
    heavy haul because of the yellow kitty motors. Now is a good time for Titan to jump in(no more kitty motors except for the new cat truck. Bottom end kitty top end max farce.
    • dockmen027 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   bullhusk

bullhusk

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,137 posts
    • Make:brockway
    • Model:361
    • Year:1974

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Marino Crane's Mack LR on the Northfield Mountain, MA jobsite a few days after bringing in new electrical equipment.

Thats nice STUFF!!!!
    a company called Hoffman Rigging in Port Nwk. years ago had a big Mack end dump that they made into a tractor that was bg stuff like that one , also Gerosa from Bronx NY had a couple a big A-Cars like the Mack!!! I love those big trucks!!
    BULLHUSK

#6 OFFLINE   DigDug

DigDug

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 253 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Nice truck ! Who owns Marino now?

#7 OFFLINE   Moosejockey

Moosejockey

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 92 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Marino is now owned by Barnhart crane and rigging Inc.
    www.barnhartcrane.com
    • Olivetroad likes this

#8 OFFLINE   DigDug

DigDug

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 253 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Moosejockey, Im looking at there website now. Looks like one big operation!

#9 OFFLINE   Olivetroad

Olivetroad

• BMT Benefactor
    • 2,299 posts
    • Model:DM600
    • Year:1971

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Marino is now owned by Barnhart crane and rigging Inc.
    www.barnhartcrane.com

Great link - click on the transportation section - lots of cool stuff!

#10 OFFLINE   Bigdogtrucker

Bigdogtrucker

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,236 posts
    • Make:MACK
    • Model:R795ST
    • Year:1973

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Those trucks are badass,along with the A-CAR!!!

#11 OFFLINE   Red Horse

Red Horse

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 636 posts
    • Model:B68X, B61S, B60X
    • Year:1960, 1965. 1956

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

How about this Hallamore KW. They were moving some electrical equipment to a site in Chelsea MA

Attached Files

#12 OFFLINE   j hancock

j hancock

• BMT VIP
    • 5,225 posts
    • Model:B75
    • Year:1959
    Contributor

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yup!

That KW growed up Bbbig!

Hallamore has a couple of nicely restored Macks.

Last time i was in that neighborhood, I was taking the land route into Logan. If I recall there were still some cobblestone streets, Second Street going to Everett I think had some stone.

Always an interesting trip!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

#13 OFFLINE   Red Horse

Red Horse

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 636 posts
    • Model:B68X, B61S, B60X
    • Year:1960, 1965. 1956

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yup!

That KW growed up Bbbig!

Hallamore has a couple of nicely restored Macks.

Last time i was in that neighborhood, I was taking the land route into Logan. If I recall there were still some cobblestone streets, Second Street going to Everett I think had some stone.

Always an interesting trip!

10-4 on the Macks- one of the owners has I beleve 5 or 6 F(J?S) that Matt Pfahl has been doing.

You thinking of Beacham St. in Everett?-goes by the Exxon-Mobil terminal and through the NE Produce Center-unbelieveably bad road.

#14 ONLINE   james j neiweem

james j neiweem

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 843 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hallamore KW! Thats blasphemy. Just goes to show how far Mack has fallen in heavy haul. :blush:

#15 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts
    • Model:B61
    • Year:1961

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Its a shame that Mack no longer makes really big iron like they used to. For a while the CL was their biggest offering and from what I remember was not offered with big planetary axles from factory.

But with the introduction of the Titan, they now offer planetary axles up to 110,000 lbs and offer the same on the granite. It will still be an uphill battle for Mack as Kenworth and Westernstar have been at the big heavy duty custom game non stop. Mack had a gap for a while and KW along with WS filled that gap and they offered far more options than Mack.

BUT it aint all bad news, Mack can still pickup the pieces and if the demand for highly custom super heavy spec trucks picks up they (or their Swedish masters) can put more money into engineering more options and configurations.

I don't think we will ever see monsters as big as the LR or M series (weight distribution laws make them impractical) but hopefully we will see more extra heavy Titan's and Granite's pulling super haul loads.

Personally I think they should try to break back into the O/O market with a new Superliner but that is just wishful thinking. What that should do is get an MP10 into the Vision/Pinnacle and attract more of the Volvo/FL/IH OTR market.
    • lucerne tractor likes this
    -Thad
    What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

#16 OFFLINE   lucerne tractor

lucerne tractor

Lucerne Tractor Works

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 500 posts
    • Model:Vision CXN613
    • Year:2005

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Its a shame that Mack no longer makes really big iron like they used to. For a while the CL was their biggest offering and from what I remember was not offered with big planetary axles from factory.

But with the introduction of the Titan, they now offer planetary axles up to 110,000 lbs and offer the same on the granite. It will still be an uphill battle for Mack as Kenworth and Westernstar have been at the big heavy duty custom game non stop. Mack had a gap for a while and KW along with WS filled that gap and they offered far more options than Mack.

BUT it aint all bad news, Mack can still pickup the pieces and if the demand for highly custom super heavy spec trucks picks up they (or their Swedish masters) can put more money into engineering more options and configurations.

I don't think we will ever see monsters as big as the LR or M series (weight distribution laws make them impractical) but hopefully we will see more extra heavy Titan's and Granite's pulling super haul loads.

Personally I think they should try to break back into the O/O market with a new Superliner but that is just wishful thinking. What that should do is get an MP10 into the Vision/Pinnacle and attract more of the Volvo/FL/IH OTR market.

MP 10 in a heavy spec long haul is a big void. A Titan with a good size sleeper would do the trick and sell just for the looks and power,maybe make them the super load truck but as you say, a heavy spec Pinnacle with an MP 10 would be the wise choice because of turning radius,wheel base and fuel saving on long hauls. I think fuel savings is really coming to the front of the list of must haves.

#17 OFFLINE   BOB DINGSDALE

BOB DINGSDALE

oldlogdog

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 565 posts
    • Make:MACK
    • Model:LJSWX log truck
    • Year:1955

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

THADDEUSW:All the CL350's were planetarys.the first ones came with green leakers,5960 allison 6 speeds,1400x25 tires,15 ft bunks made by Columbia trailer,with 60 ton Columbia trailers.They were designed to take over from Hayes who were now defunct.Compete with Pacific P-16's and Kenworth 850's.I think there was about 29 built and most were sold to Mac Millan Bloedel Menzie Bay Div.on Vancouver Island.Two of them got V-12 Rolls-Royce diesel's in them.A lot of them are still working for Busby Logging on Queen Charlett Islands.A lot of them were repowered and came with KTA's @ 600 hp.and 6061 allison's.Bob D

#18 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

THADDEUSW:All the CL350's were planetarys.the first ones came with green leakers,5960 allison 6 speeds,1400x25 tires,15 ft bunks made by Columbia trailer,with 60 ton Columbia trailers.They were designed to take over from Hayes who were now defunct.Compete with Pacific P-16's and Kenworth 850's.I think there was about 29 built and most were sold to Mac Millan Bloedel Menzie Bay Div.on Vancouver Island.Two of them got V-12 Rolls-Royce diesel's in them.A lot of them are still working for Busby Logging on Queen Charlett Islands.A lot of them were repowered and came with KTA's @ 600 hp.and 6061 allison's.Bob D

Hi Bob,

I do know of the CL350's, Almost forgot the CL name was used twice! I was referring to the CL, the big brother of the CH.

Thanks for the information on the CL350's, I thought most of them were long gone.
    -Thad

#19 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

MP 10 in a heavy spec long haul is a big void. A Titan with a good size sleeper would do the trick and sell just for the looks and power,maybe make them the super load truck but as you say, a heavy spec Pinnacle with an MP 10 would be the wise choice because of turning radius,wheel base and fuel saving on long hauls. I think fuel savings is really coming to the front of the list of must haves.

Yes the lack of a sleeper option for the Titan is absolutely asinine. I wonder if its Volvo who is holding them back from offering one and why.

I think the Pinnacle has a good chance of becoming a great heavy duty aero offering from Mack if they do it right. So far it looks like the new Pinnacle is selling like hot cakes and drivers love them. Build one with an MP10, 20k steer, double frame, those fancy European style planetary hub reduction axles with 315/80R22.5 tires and you have a nice heavy hauler. I saw a picture of an Australian Volvo VN with a locally built aero sleeper, hub reduction axles and heavy front axle with a Cummins 600 under the hood. Looked real slick and I thought, why doesn't Mack offer this?
    -Thad

#20 OFFLINE   logtruckman

logtruckman

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 512 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:superliner with e9 500 3 cl with 427 454 and 460 and a 2013 titan 555 mp10
    • Year:1989-2007

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

it is a shame mack lost the heavy haul market. they owned for decades until the v8 went the way of the buffalo. im not sure why the titan hasnt sold more because i think it superior to the kenworths that seem to be every where now . the cl700 was really a great truck ive seen them with 80k and 100k lb planetarys from time to time all of them had the big e9 power though. and then of coarse there was the rd800. it just seems mack doesnt have the cool factor now that kenworth and peterbilt have. most younger drivers dont even know the great history of mack. they wont sit in a truck if its not a paccar. not me im 32 years old and know macks are still great trucks. i grew up in mack rd, then superliners and cl. the first truck i drove was a 89 superliner e9500 18 speed . i loved it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users