Type "U" joint:

Rob

A guy stopped by the shop tonight that used to run trucks and gave me three "Bulldog" universal joints. Two are a 1710 series, (full round), and the other looks just like it but much physically larger. It is probably 1.5"-2.0" larger across the caps. What series would this be? 1810? Never have worked with one this big before. He also dropped off two boxes of filters for an "ESI Plus" series E6 engine, and a partial box of "ESI" filters missing the fuel filters and the coolant conditioner. The oil filters are there with an extra thrown in.

There are no numbers on the box for the larger universal joint. I'm wondering if this should be got to somebody that could use it via trade, or is it something I'll use down the road? I don't plan on ever having anything newer than prolly 1984 and I'm not making plans to become a trucker anytime soon.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

rob my truck uses a huge u joint the cups are almost 1 1/2 in and from flange to flange im guessing it is 7 inches wide mabey wider and its a 124. joe

Hi Joe and thanks. When out to the shop tonight I didn't have the camera with me and I'd estimate this one to be about 7" across the caps also. It uses the 3/8thsX24tpi bolts and straps to retain the caps on the drive yoke. Those are all there too.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sounds like what I have in this to. somthing like 2" caps. if so it is 1810 or 18series. Damn driveshaft weighs a ton. What kind of shape is the big one in?

It is brand new, never installed.

Rob

• Like 1

I'll measure mine if you have no use for it what do you want for it?

I don't sell nothing. If it will serve as a good spare to keep a truck going, that is where it will go. Now this is a Mack "Bulldog" part so it it winds up in Peterbilt, the outcome could be very positive and the truck will fall apart around it, or it will just "shit the bed" not wanting to be there in the first place.

God only knows the answer to that question. I'll measure it up shortly and let you know.

Rob

• 1 month later...

If it's 6 1/2" it will be 1810 series. Measuring inside cap to inside of oposite cap is 6 1/2". I just replaced 2 half rounds and 2 full rounds on my 93 RW713 tandem. I just recently purchased a half round for a spare and looking for a full round for a spare, if you still have it and want to part with it let me know if you would ship and how much.

Edited by 89/93SUPERLINERS