1949 Mack

pilkertond

Im trying to get started in a restoration but i have verry little info on my new project i was told its a L model but looking at pictures I think its a E model can anyone help with that determation! Thanks Dale

oh and by the way if you can get the serial number on it that should tell what model it is. you can also contact the mack museum with the serial number and they can give you info on your truck.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

There should be an ID plate located near the officer's seat. It is most probably a Type 45. If you can ID the engine model and the pump capacity I can give you the model. The chassis number is also on the front right frame horn and may be listed on the registration card if you have one.

As soon as you find the chassis number write to the Mack Museum with the number and they will send you an owner's manual and any delivery pictures they have of the rig. A suitable contribution to the museum for this service is appropriate.

Where are you in MD? Have you joined SPAAMFAA or the local chapter of SPAAMFAA?

I am going to try to get to the ATHS show with my rig. I should be at Macungie as well.

Do NOT run non-detergent oil. Use a good quality 30 weight for general use.

If you cannot locate an oil filter send me a PM. I know someone who has several of them.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Yes your truck is an E model. There were a lot of different models that looked like this. If you look in my gallery under "macks" you will see a similar truck. Mine is a Type 55. Like they said, look for the serial number plate somewhere in the cab, probably on the passenger side seat base. And don't run detergent oil unless you drop the oil pan and clean it out. I wouldn't worry about an oil filter unless you plan on putting a lot of miles on the truck. They are not full flow any way. I have attached a Mack add from ebay that might work to show you a type 50, but maybe not.

I'll be at Macungie and Springfield. I might bring the Type 55 to Macungie, but not to Springfield.

Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1943-North-Chicago-FD-Mack-Fire-Truck-Ad-/320825019960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2a94e38

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great looking truck. Yours is an A model and the other is an E model. The E model preceeded the A model. They used the same cab, but the grill is different. I don't know about the hood and fenders. I think you have the serial number wrong. Please take a closer look. Maybe it is 75A1001? Does your truck run? It looks pretty solid. A little rubbing compound should go a long way. Looks like you have a great location too. I have a very similar truck to yours, 405A1002. It is in original condition with a few modifications. The body is solid. It runs great, but does not like to start when the engine is hot.

Mike

post-7810-0-04307600-1327421152_thumb.jp

That is a great looking truck. Yours is an A model and the other is an E model. The E model preceeded the A model. They used the same cab, but the grill is different. I don't know about the hood and fenders. I think you have the serial number wrong. Please take a closer look. Maybe it is 75A1001? Does your truck run? It looks pretty solid. A little rubbing compound should go a long way. Looks like you have a great location too. I have a very similar truck to yours, 405A1002. It is in original condition with a few modifications. The body is solid. It runs great, but does not like to start when the engine is hot.

Mike

Parallel six volt batteries solved that problem with my A-40. It wouldn't crank when the engine was at operating temperature.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

"Hello Mack owners My 1953 model A Ser. 4751001 looks very much same"

It should not be 1001 if it is a 53. If anything it should be one of the last numbers produced.

If I recall correctly you told me in an earlier e-mail that the rig came from Maine. It looks very much like the 45A featured on page 72 of Eckart's book that came from Bridgewater, ME.

Is there an ID tag located near the officer's seat?

What engine and pump is it equipped with?

What are you asking?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Parallel six volt batteries solved that problem with my A-40. It wouldn't crank when the engine was at operating temperature.

Rob

Rob,

The truck cranks great with one 6 volt. It just won't fire. It some times takes over 5 minutes of repeated cranking to fire.

Thanks,

Mike

Rob,

The truck cranks great with one 6 volt. It just won't fire. It some times takes over 5 minutes of repeated cranking to fire.

Thanks,

Mike

What kind of ignition is included? I'd check the coil for "saturation" at temperature, contact point dwell time, (gap) and change the capacitor, (condensor) for good measure. The coils, and the capacitors can be troublesome as they age, and heat problems are a very good indicator. Does it fire right off with a "sniff" of ether? If so look at the carburation, I still have the light bulb inside a heat sink for a "ballast" on my coil, but the truck starts right off now.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What kind of ignition is included? I'd check the coil for "saturation" at temperature, contact point dwell time, (gap) and change the capacitor, (condensor) for good measure. The coils, and the capacitors can be troublesome as they age, and heat problems are a very good indicator. Does it fire right off with a "sniff" of ether? If so look at the carburation, I still have the light bulb inside a heat sink for a "ballast" on my coil, but the truck starts right off now.

Rob

I'll have to talk to my father about these things. They are over my head. I've never tried giving it ether when it won't start. It starts on the first try when it is cold as long as it is choked and i pump the gas. Thanks for the info.

Mike

Mike,

I think yours has the ENF510 in it. With twin ignition I doubt it is an ignition problem. My ENF510 is really sensitive to fuel when it is warm. If I press the accelerator when I crank it it will not start until the fuel clears. And unlike all of the other oldies I have had this one hates to have the gas pedal pumped when it is cold. It floods in a NY second.

Carl