48' Mack LT for sale

I think the economy is the issue .

still think its a beater,and aint worth s---t, i put it in the $75,000 bel air catagory,oh my dont see many of those.woohoo besides i dont see anyone racing over there..take the 2,900.(hand) and feel damn lucky :banana: ..lol.bob

I gotta go with Superdog on this one,i also think anything under 20K is a bargain! especially given the relative rarity,and un-molested shape the truck is in.The LT's were'nt called the "duesenberg" of trucks for nothing! whens the last time you saw one for sale ANYWHERE? and even if restored to stock specs.this is a truck that could easily bring a six figure return on a big budget job! course,my Mack judgement may "cloud" my opinion,but as far as i'm corcerned there never was a classier,better looking truck ever built by any manufactorer than the LT Mack...........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I gotta go with Superdog on this one,i also think anything under 20K is a bargain! especially given the relative rarity,and un-molested shape the truck is in.The LT's were'nt called the "duesenberg" of trucks for nothing! whens the last time you saw one for sale ANYWHERE? and even if restored to stock specs.this is a truck that could easily bring a six figure return on a big budget job! course,my Mack judgement may "cloud" my opinion,but as far as i'm corcerned there never was a classier,better looking truck ever built by any manufactorer than the LT Mack...........................Mark

ya,,,i can appreciate your oppinion,,,if your a fan,,just thought you never see them for sale cause nobody wants them,,hehe i wish the owner all the luck in the world getting his full amount,,,and i didnt realize they were rare,,,it still looks beat to death to me,,,and most of them were,out here,,mostly off road water trucks,,or loggers..bob

It was used for a low boy operation from what I heard if I remember right. It doesnt have a bunch of things changed out and upgraded. Since this topic came up I see the Hall Scott engines arent as rare as I thought but still are a rare engine.

It just comes down to if your a LT fan or not. Its pretty ovious he wont get what he's asking and im sure he will understand that in the next few weeks or so when it doesnt sell. If he would settle with maybe 5 or 6k as a buy it now il be it would sell. I dont think anyone that saw he wanted about 9,000 for it would bid on it at 2,900 with a reserve.

Nice, probbly worth the money and the Hall Scotts are a bit of a rarity and I've seen them mostly in fire trucks. I do have a different respect for some one who did all or some of their own work. I did all of my 41 Chevy my self ,except for the chrome and the machine work on the engine. Not every one can do that or has the place to do it,so I've come to feel that how ever you did it ,by labor or by check you have saved it from being scrapped or just rotting away. I do feel though that if you wrote a check at least have the basic knowledge of the vehicle. Saw a "gentleman" at a show a while back with a perfectly restored Packard. A 99.9 point car, except the clock wasn't working. He had panic finding his "man" who came over and wound the clock! If you own it at leasat know what makes it tick. Paul

you know,,,its not so much the labor issue....just get tired of the chrome goodies outdoing the elbow grease,,and i know you can appreciate that....but im still wetting my pants,over that blue LJ..wow that thing is tits...man.bob

My opinion on the LT for sale. A reasonable price would be in the 3-5k range. But if a person is going to do a restoration or at least a get it running and legal overhaul you need to be able to buy it or any old truck for that matter for as low a price as you can get it. It just flat costs so damn much money and your time to do the job. The 48 LT has a different frame that was not too good. There was a beautiful LT with a Hall-Scott up in the MA area. I belive it was sold to a collector in Australia?? The problem with that HS motor in my opinion is the cost to operate if you want to drive your truck. And the LT in an original stock condition as a driver is not that great. Unless you repower and change the mounts such as front springs, engine, tranny, etc you stand a good chance of being stranded. If you note that the steering wheel in an LT comes straight at you. This was changed with the later B series L cab trucks by putting the U joint at the dash. A much more comfortable position. I attached a picture of my LTH (heavy) and this was a one owner logger with all orginal mounts ect except for the spring hangers that the owner changed within a yr to create a better rid. The LTH has a 3/8" frame also vs the 1/4" that the LTL has. All around the LTH was a better truck. And you are right that most LT's in the west ended up as water trucks etc and the LTL was not intended for that and most are badly broke up. The LT that the guy(Goode?) in PA rebuilt into a modern rig is awesome.

post-198-0-88429700-1320611835_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-38613700-1320611927.jpg

Great looking LTH! any chance of putting up some more pictures? i like the "as used" look to an over restored showpiece,dont see many at all in that shape anymore! thanks for posting the info...........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 2 weeks later...

The truck is listed by a guy from northern Illinois that does not own it. Everything he lists is astronomical in either price, or expectations.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The truck is listed by a guy from northern Illinois that does not own it. Everything he lists is astronomical in either price, or expectations.

Rob

Jack does own it,talked to him on the phone yesterday.I've know him for several years,he just has a bad habit of putting trucks up for sale as soon as or shortly after he buys them.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike. The couple times I've been by his place shuttling parts for others, it's always been a sales pitch for something.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.