•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Roadranger 13 Speed:

• Please log in to reply
    8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 10,191 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

Hi there, tonight I've looked, scraped, washed, bashed head etc. looking to identify the transmission in my truck. I do know it is a 13 speed Eaton/Fuller, but I cannot find a tag anyplace. There is a flat spot in the case (right side of case) with a couple of holes that look as if there was a metal tag retained with drive screws, but it is empty, and there are no remnants of any fasteners remaining.

The rear carriers have 4.17 stamped into them for a ratio, however when the truck was driven up to my shop, the driver stated that it had a lot more to go (road speed) than 4.17 gears would deliver. This tells me the transmission is either an overdrive version (RTO12513?), or the rears have been changed out. I have not driven the truck myself off of my property so I can't give first hand knowlege. I do know that at 60 mph he was right on my rear bumper and later investigation revealed the truck is "turned down" to run only 1800 rpm against the governor via my non contact tachometer, (it is accurate).

Without physically pulling the transmission and counting the output shaft revs in comparison to the input, is there any way to discern which transmission is installed? I could break the driveline apart and use my tach to compare the above mentioned revolutions, but that is quite a bit of work.

Thanks,

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#2 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,120 posts
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:33 PM

Cant say where to look for the trans numbers but it sounds like you have a overdrive 13 speed.
    if your truck had a top gear direct transmission with 4.17 rears your top speed at a governed 1800RPM would put you at about 50-52 MPH. even if they were 3.87 rears that would make it around 60-62 @1800.

You would need high 2.xx or low 3xx rear ratios to hit 70 MPH. most trucks I have seen dont often come with that low of a ratio...that i know of...

Sounds like that dog can run!!!

#3 OFFLINE   werkhorse

werkhorse

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 53 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:16 AM

RTO12513 is a "double overdrive" is 5th gear position back or forward in the shift pattern?????

"double over drives" actually have 3 o/d gear ratio's with top around .70 or something close to that

#4 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

RTO12513 is a "double overdrive" is 5th gear position back or forward in the shift pattern?????

"double over drives" actually have 3 o/d gear ratio's with top around .70 or something close to that

I will try to find the high gear position this week. I've never been around anything other than a Mack two stick, and an RT-910 that I converted to an RTO when rebuilding.

I haven't driven the truck yet as it has an oil leak from the cam/rocker box due to a 5/16" piece of gasket material being "blown out" and it really leaks quite well. I want to fix that and parts should arrive today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#5 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 726 posts
    • Model:B61T B61LT R685ST
    • Year:1963 1958 1972 the Bs are sleepercabs

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

I will try to find the high gear position this week. I've never been around anything other than a Mack two stick, and an RT-910 that I converted to an RTO when rebuilding.

I haven't driven the truck yet as it has an oil leak from the cam/rocker box due to a 5/16" piece of gasket material being "blown out" and it really leaks quite well. I want to fix that and parts should arrive today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!

Rob

If it is a double over from the factory it would be RTOO, and high gear would be up to the dash , if someone switched the gears around it would be forward, but a factory overdrive it would shift like any other trans.

#6 OFFLINE   werkhorse

werkhorse

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 53 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:56 AM

LOL yeah sorry it was supposed to read RTOO

#7 OFFLINE   twostickmutt

twostickmutt

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 350 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:G-73 LST
    • Year:1961

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

i have my tag and can still read it. is there anywhere i can match the numbers as to what year it is and the ratio. it's an old one. it's TRO-9513. fuller /eaton-yale and towne. inc.

RTO-9513 is what my fingers meant to say.
    and remember
    "PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

#8 OFFLINE   truxnut

truxnut

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 71 posts
    • Make: Autocar
    • Model:C70T
    • Year:47

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

The 913-9513 OD boxs had a .87 OD ratio. No way of really telling the year, somewhere between 64-65 and somewhere in the later 70's.
    John Evans,
    Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

#9 OFFLINE   mechmagcn

mechmagcn

Diesel Junky

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 62 posts
    • Model:R600
    • Year:1971/1982

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

To tell the difference between a 95 series and a 125 series look at the yoke on the rear of the trannie, If the yoke is close to the seal, it is a 95, if the yoke is about 1" from the seal it is a 125 or later tranny. Both the 125 and 95 series used a reverse shift pattern for the OO, it was only later trans that compensated for this in the shift top. The RTOO9513 trans has a .67 high gear, not real sure of the 125.
    Jeff
    1971 Mack R600 Toterhome "Superdawg"
    living the life of leisure pulling
    1999 NuWa Snowbird 34+2 SE102 "Dawghouse"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users