•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Leaking Head Gasket

• Please log in to reply
    4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mackrd

mackrd

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 4 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:rd688s
    • Year:1994

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

hi guys new to the site
    looking for some help with my 94 rd ,came out this morning to a leaking head gasket
    its not getting in the oil, truck has e7 350 with 600,000 miles on it now(150k from me)
    just wondering if i should replace just the gasket or is it time for an inframe?
    The truck runs well and doesnt use any oil bought from original owners and not sure
    if it been apart before. Also anybody know what an inframe would cost (ballpark)?
    Apreciate any help

#2 OFFLINE   Noid93

Noid93

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 68 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:1997

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:56 PM

Overhauls are usually only required if the cylinder protrusion above the deck isnt high enough. Low cylinder height doesnt seal the head gasket properly, and can cause premature failure of head gasket. If you have good protrusion, good cross hatching on cylinder walls, throw two new heads on for good measure(yours are probably cracked anyway and the valves are tired and springs are weak), 6 injectors if they havent been serviced recently ($90 a pop, thats cheap) and a head gasket and out the door it goes for $6500 if done at a dealer. My 97 E7 had 780-820,000 miles on it when the head gasket went and i had $6200 into all this and a water pump. Cylinders were up, walls looked great, and it didnt use more than a gallon of oil on 10,000 miles. I got 860 on it now and i sure as hell dont regret not doing a full overhaul. When i priced an overhaul at the time i did the head gasket, it was $14-16,000. I saved $10,000. I belive that overhauls are only nessesary if you have failure in the cylinder, rods, or bearings. A bad head gasket only requires a gasket and heads as long as the cylinders have not settled. E7 engines that have been taken care of should go a million miles or more as long as there is no catastrophic failure elesware. Excessive blow by and oil consumption or traces of metals or soot in oil analysis a good indicator of tired rings i.e. cylinder packs.

Hope this helps
    There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!

#3 OFFLINE   mowerman

mowerman

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,722 posts
    • Model:dm600
    • Year:1966

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:00 AM

Overhauls are usually only required if the cylinder protrusion above the deck isnt high enough. Low cylinder height doesnt seal the head gasket properly, and can cause premature failure of head gasket. If you have good protrusion, good cross hatching on cylinder walls, throw two new heads on for good measure(yours are probably cracked anyway and the valves are tired and springs are weak), 6 injectors if they havent been serviced recently ($90 a pop, thats cheap) and a head gasket and out the door it goes for $6500 if done at a dealer. My 97 E7 had 780-820,000 miles on it when the head gasket went and i had $6200 into all this and a water pump. Cylinders were up, walls looked great, and it didnt use more than a gallon of oil on 10,000 miles. I got 860 on it now and i sure as hell dont regret not doing a full overhaul. When i priced an overhaul at the time i did the head gasket, it was $14-16,000. I saved $10,000. I belive that overhauls are only nessesary if you have failure in the cylinder, rods, or bearings. A bad head gasket only requires a gasket and heads as long as the cylinders have not settled. E7 engines that have been taken care of should go a million miles or more as long as there is no catastrophic failure elesware. Excessive blow by and oil consumption or traces of metals or soot in oil analysis a good indicator of tired rings i.e. cylinder packs.

Hope this helps

thats,,,very interesting,,,and good advise...bob

#4 OFFLINE   Noid93

Noid93

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 68 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:1997

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

thats,,,very interesting,,,and good advise...bob

How bout a reputation bump mower man(i've never got one)....

Thanks Gentlemen
    • rhasler likes this
    There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   mackrd

mackrd

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 4 posts
    • Model:rd688s
    • Year:1994

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

thanks for the reply, this gives me a good idea what i'm looking at , thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users