What Is Your Favorite Mack Era?

January's Poll  

426 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Mack Truck Design Era?

• The Early Years 1901-1930
    • The World Wars Era 1931-1949
    • The 50' & 60's Era 1950-1969
    • The 70's & 80's Era 1970-1989
    • The 90's Era 1990-1999
    • Late Model Era 2000-2008

As with many others, the 50's & 60's Macks are my favorites as far as style goes.However, My '79 R612ST and '90 RD690S were very dependable trucks to earn a living with.I didn't get rich running those trucks (who does in this business),but at the same time,I made a decent living and sold those trucks for good money after I was done with them. My MACKs were not the reason I got out of the business.Year after year,my accountant would ask me "thats all you spent on maintainance and repairs?". The '90 now has almost a million on it (sold it with 572,000 on the clock) still has the original internals in it. :mack1::thumb:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Personally,i think the 50's/60's were Macks "heyday", the first truck i ever drove was a B-model,so it will always be one of my favorites. that withstanding, my alltime favorite Macks are the RL/RS series,but i have always thought the LTL was the best looking Mack ever made...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Can't go wrong with the 50's. Good times, good music and prosperity. Was before my time but trucks and cars had personality then. Not just boxy pieces of plastic like there is today. Guess I'm partial with my H61 and H63. Both those had nice curves and appeal, they weren't shoeboxes on wheels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Voted for the 70's and 80's. First truck ever worked on was Mack MB cab over from the 70's In the late 80's right out of high school.

Love the F Model as well specially the FS700L to bad few of these still around.

• 9 months later...

Barry, this is unlucky question to answer it in the rule.

Each era gived to us many different and very nice models.

I like FC of 30's, EH, L & LT of 40's.

Who can looks easy on W71 and H63?

B is unremarcable.

Both R and F of 70's are good-shaped.

The Superliner is out of any comments.

And CH is avesome.

My favorit truck for the moment is L model.

So I have to make a choice of "World War's Era" in your uneasy test.

It sounds good to me as I'm a fan and have two WW2 Mack trucks at the moment.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 1 year later...

The most important era in the history of Mack Trucks is not listed, the era during which Zenon C.R. Hansen took over as CEO of Mack Trucks.

Truly the best truckmaking CEO of all time right up to the present day, Mr. Hansen's hand could still be felt throughout the company 20 years after he had retired.

I don't think customers realize just how massively he changed the company's management and culture when he came in the door.

The awesome E9 reminds me of the day when I was driving for Continental Baking back in the mid '80s. I was driving a single axle International with a 318 and with the light load of bread I doubt the whole rig weighed even 50,000 pounds. Coming up on a red light, I noticed a heavily loaded flatbed in the right lane so I got into the left lane. Only when I got alongside did I see that the tractor was a Superliner with a V8 emblem. Despite the heavy load, that E9 stayed with me throught the first couple gears and then left me in the dust.

Worse yet, I had the boss riding with me!

I voted for the 70's-80's for this reason alone, I dont think there has ever been or will ever be a better lineup of hill flattening powerhouse engines than there were thru that era by all the manufacturers, (the E9 was the king though). Think about it, you had the Cat 1693, 3406A and B modelsand the 3408 V8, the NTC,904,and KT Cummins, the 8V92 and 12V71 Detroit, and the Mack 865 and E9 V8's, the E6 4 valve, the E7, you cant argue with the numbers, the 70's and 80's were all about the power. Oh and anybody that wants to get into a "but my MP10 has 605hp" or "my C15 has 625 hp" argument, just go drive an old E9 500, or a 3406B model 425, youll be ready to trade that newer truck on a Superliner, or a W900A tomorrow.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I voted for the 70's-80's based on what I think is a future classic in the Superliner. The truck is like no other and to me is the modern version of the LJ to this point. They had power, and that classic grill. Before the B-model lovers kill me I love the looks of them and everything they stood for and would not trade mine in for anything.