•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Transmissions - Manual Or Automatic

• Please log in to reply
    11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rchorseman

rchorseman

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 2 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:ch700
    • Year:1996

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

Need some feed back from those that have and drive the Auto Transmissions. My company hauls gravel in rural Alberta. We pull everything from tandem pups to Quad trailers. Any input on how the Auto trans performs on highways with hills, soft gravel roads and off road operations. I may have to make a purchase soon with a large contract coming up so any help on this topic would be grat.

Thanks in advance..

Rick

#2 OFFLINE   GearheadGrrrl

GearheadGrrrl

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 713 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

I've driven quite a few Macks with Allison Automatics and been very happy with them. They provide a very smooth "take up" of power when starting that seems to reduce wheelspin and the chance of getting stuck. With the new electronic controls they don't seem to end up in the wrong gear at times like the old ones did, and even if they do you can just press a button and override the transmission's choice of gears. As for the Volvo automated manual that Mack is offering, it has potential but it's reliability is still an unknown and Mack isn't offering it in a vocational model. Stay away from Eaton's automated manuals- in low speed operation the clutch slips and wears out prematurely.

#3 OFFLINE   shortstack

shortstack

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 388 posts
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:2004

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

I've driven a few in straight trucks grossing around 60,000lbs. In soft ground and mud they are great--don't have to worry about missing a gear, they just go on. I really liked them in that work. Don't know how they would hold up with a lot more weight but taken care of they would probably do fine.

#4 OFFLINE   heavyhauler

heavyhauler

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 280 posts
    • Model:B-813SX
    • Year:1963

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

We had this discussion about one year ago in these forums-suggest a search and review.

Best regards,

John

#5 OFFLINE   fjh

fjh

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,303 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

I've driven quite a few Macks with Allison Automatics and been very happy with them. They provide a very smooth "take up" of power when starting that seems to reduce wheelspin and the chance of getting stuck. With the new electronic controls they don't seem to end up in the wrong gear at times like the old ones did, and even if they do you can just press a button and override the transmission's choice of gears. As for the Volvo automated manual that Mack is offering, it has potential but it's reliability is still an unknown and Mack isn't offering it in a vocational model. Stay away from Eaton's automated manuals- in low speed operation the clutch slips and wears out prematurely.

Apparently the M/V Drive trans has been a staple in Europe for years ,
    having said that I to am a doubting Tom,

#6 OFFLINE   striker

striker

First Gear

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPip
    • 12 posts
    • Model:Pinnacle
    • Year:2009

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

My company has 9 Mcak CH/CXU units all equipped with Eaton/Fuller 10spd Autoshifts. I'm currently on my 2nd one, my first unit, a '00 CH had 978K on it when we traded it in. My current unit has 245K. We haul containers in the Rocky Mtn. area, always grossing 70,000 lbs+. Ran that '00 over I-70, I-80, I-90/94 for many years without issue. The clutch was replaced at 648K, and even then they had to replace the clutch brake and decided to replace the clutch as a PM, though it had probably 100K miles left on it. The problems with the X/Y motors seems to be gone, my CXU has been in the shop for the last week so I've been stuck in a 10yr old CH daycab, the difference in trans and clutch is like night/day. Mine is smooth, easy to operate, no issues, the older one is definetly not as smooth and takes more getting used to.

#7 OFFLINE   Mackpro68

Mackpro68

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,208 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

My company has 9 Mcak CH/CXU units all equipped with Eaton/Fuller 10spd Autoshifts. I'm currently on my 2nd one, my first unit, a '00 CH had 978K on it when we traded it in. My current unit has 245K. We haul containers in the Rocky Mtn. area, always grossing 70,000 lbs+. Ran that '00 over I-70, I-80, I-90/94 for many years without issue. The clutch was replaced at 648K, and even then they had to replace the clutch brake and decided to replace the clutch as a PM, though it had probably 100K miles left on it. The problems with the X/Y motors seems to be gone, my CXU has been in the shop for the last week so I've been stuck in a 10yr old CH daycab, the difference in trans and clutch is like night/day. Mine is smooth, easy to operate, no issues, the older one is definetly not as smooth and takes more getting used to.

Last year we sold 40+ used CX/CXN/CH/CHN trucks all with Fuller Ultra-shifts and Auto-shifts, if we could find more at a good price we would buy them for resale as most all of our customers love them. On the Auto-shift (with clutch pedal) pros: uses regular clutch and no driver induced syncro problems. Cons: must keep clutch and clutch brake adjusted, XY shifter motors sometimes go out. On the Ultra-shift (no clutch pedal) Pros: a better bug free version of the Auto-shift. Cons: uses a special clutch$$$$$$. As many as we have running around here running we might get 1 every 45 days to work on, then usually just a power wire connection problem, sensor or clutch adjustment is all it takes. Most all these trucks are farm trucks that do go off-road. However for true off-road Allison is the only way to go if you want a auto trans.

#8 OFFLINE   rchorseman

rchorseman

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 2 posts
    • Model:ch700
    • Year:1996

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the input. Found this one in Calgary.

Make: MACK
    Model: CXU613
    Year: 2011
    Stock Number: 34079
    Exterior Colour: WHITE
    Engine: MP8-505C
    Horsepower: 505
    Jacob: MACK ENG BRK
    Transmission: TMD12AO
    Front Axle: 14600
    Rear Axle: RT46-160
    Differential: 3.58
    Wheel: ALUM DISC
    Tire: MICH 11R24.5/BRIDG 11R24.5
    Suspension: AIR
    Wheelbase: 203
    Axle Spread: 52
    Frame: STEEL

#9 OFFLINE   Greg Rider

Greg Rider

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 637 posts
    • Model:A-30
    • Year:1951

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

Remember that just about every fire truck in the US has an Allison in it. These are worked hard and have very little issues. They sit in the station, then get driven hard to a call, put into drive gear to pump maybe for hours, then driven back. The usually have different drivers and most don't care about the transmission. There was no faster fire truck than one with a Detroit 8V92 hooked to an Allison. Pull out, look, and mash the throttle till you were at speed.
    #1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

#10 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

Wotta revoltin' development

• 1,877 posts
    Contributor

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the input. Found this one in Calgary.

Make: MACK
    Model: CXU613
    Year: 2011
    Stock Number: 34079
    Exterior Colour: WHITE
    Engine: MP8-505C
    Horsepower: 505
    Jacob: MACK ENG BRK
    Transmission: TMD12AO
    Front Axle: 14600
    Rear Axle: RT46-160
    Differential: 3.58
    Wheel: ALUM DISC
    Tire: MICH 11R24.5/BRIDG 11R24.5
    Suspension: AIR
    Wheelbase: 203
    Axle Spread: 52
    Frame: STEEL

That truck has the mDrive (iShift) automated manual transmission in it.
    "Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

#11 OFFLINE   HK Trucking

HK Trucking

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Automatic transmissions in class 8 trucks should be illegal.
    "If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

#12 OFFLINE   linrick1

linrick1

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 70 posts
    • Model:RD688S
    • Year:1989

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

Automatic transmissions in class 8 trucks should be illegal.

My sentiments exactly. Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users