•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Low Oil Pressure

• Please log in to reply
    6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   loweredf1

loweredf1

First Gear

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPip
    • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

recently rebuilt our e7-350 and had a hard time running the overhead but believe we got it right. anyway problem now is oil pressure when warm is showing >15psi at idle and jake barely makes any noise sometimes none. we did not change pump during rebuild because it checked out good. well today we went and got a 500 pump and pickup put it in and no differnce. so my question is could the overhead adjustment cause low oil pressure? or any other ideas? we checked every bearing clearance during assembly and everything was in spec.

#2 OFFLINE   fjh

fjh

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,303 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

recently rebuilt our e7-350 and had a hard time running the overhead but believe we got it right. anyway problem now is oil pressure when warm is showing >15psi at idle and jake barely makes any noise sometimes none. we did not change pump during rebuild because it checked out good. well today we went and got a 500 pump and pickup put it in and no differnce. so my question is could the overhead adjustment cause low oil pressure? or any other ideas? we checked every bearing clearance during assembly and everything was in spec.

Check the end of the rocker shafts and make sure there are plugs in the ends they tend to pop out on these engines.The valve set likly has no connection to your problem!

#3 OFFLINE   MACKS

MACKS

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 799 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:CL-713
    • Year:1996

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

My E-7 350 has always had low oil pressure at idle,about 12 lbs,everyone I know says the same thing about the e-7,mack says that is whithin spec and no problem that's the way they are.

#4 OFFLINE   Mackpro68

Mackpro68

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

My E-7 350 has always had low oil pressure at idle,about 12 lbs,everyone I know says the same thing about the e-7,mack says that is whithin spec and no problem that's the way they are.

Yea dont worry till it goes below 10 PSI at hot idle, its common.

#5 OFFLINE   loweredf1

loweredf1

First Gear

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPip
    • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

we just expected more on a fresh rebuild. i will check the rocker shaft plugs

#6 OFFLINE   Mackpro68

Mackpro68

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

we just expected more on a fresh rebuild. i will check the rocker shaft plugs

On the Etech style engines they do make a high volume oil pump that helps. On the older E-7's I dont know. I think the oil pump on the Etech style engines turns backwards compaired to the older E-7's. I know the auxilary shaft turns different because the P/S pumps that bolt on the front timing cover wont interechange, found out the hard way!

#7 OFFLINE   loweredf1

loweredf1

First Gear

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPip
    • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

well put a pressure gauge on and appeares our gauge is reading correct. called mack and got their pressure stats we are running a lb or two below spec at idle good in mid range and a little over spec on the top. i guess we are just going to run it and try to keep idle time to a minimum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users