•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Oil In Coolant

• Please log in to reply
    11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Paul

John Paul

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 24 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:vision
    • Year:2000

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

I've got oil in my water tank on firewall. Safe to say cooler is leaking, orwould this be more serious? 1,265,000 on a 2000 427. Hasen't been rebuilt.

#2 OFFLINE   John Paul

John Paul

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Any ideas?

#3 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 10,191 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Any ideas?

Usually the "O" rings in the engine oil cooler are leaking internally. Easy to repair in an afternoon.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#4 OFFLINE   John Paul

John Paul

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Okay. Thanks for the reply.

#5 OFFLINE   fjh

fjh

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Usually the "O" rings in the engine oil cooler are leaking internally. Easy to repair in an afternoon.

Rob

Rob it may have a plate type cooler Not quite as simple as an oring job but almost! Would be guessing at the cooler as the failed part thou!

#6 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

Rob it may have a plate type cooler Not quite as simple as an oring job but almost! Would be guessing at the cooler as the failed part thou!

Thanks Fred, I know little about an E7 or later engine but on the E6 series, this is a relatively common problem and easily repaired.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#7 OFFLINE   John Paul

John Paul

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Yea cooler is bad. Replacing it in the morn. What should I use to flush oil from cooling system? Someone advised cascade. Would this hurt anything?

#8 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Yea cooler is bad. Replacing it in the morn. What should I use to flush oil from cooling system? Someone advised cascade. Would this hurt anything?

It works great. Be certain to flush the cooling system a couple times before recharging with a 50/50 mix of low silicate anti-freeze solution. Distilled water is best to use, or deionized water will suffice. Don't use tap water.

Rob

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#9 OFFLINE   theakerstwo

theakerstwo

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,202 posts
    • Model:b61
    • Year:1957

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Let me add somthing that may help and may not. I have seen alot of oil in the coolant problems thru the years and some was repair or all i guess but if the coolant system ant clean free from oil its going back in a shop some were and that dealer may spend hundreds of dollars looking at something no more than the oil was not clean properly in the first place. Bad thing is no one knows this untill its flushed again and sent out for a few days to prove the work. The worst place i find that the oil hides in the coolant is heater coil and rad. So in the past years i take my time and cover front of rad and turn on heater and run for awhile. If you can keep rad covered it will keep the thermostat open and the soap will flow thru the rad better. In a cold rad oil is not flushed. You can have a engine running at 180 degrees and may not move any coolant thru the rad core.Because the thermostat never opens and omly run thru the block. So i have been creating a small leak some were on the coolant system and keep engine running withe the rad covered and drain coolant and at the same time adding fresh water. When the draining water is clear but still hot then drain down and add antifreeze.Also change coolant filter.
    glenn akers

#10 OFFLINE   John Paul

John Paul

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.

#11 OFFLINE   Stingray698

Stingray698

Gear Jammer

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

I know its a little more work but ive found best results is flushing with the t stats out , i usually use spic and span but more or less the same thing , One thing i was tought a long time ago was when ever you have two substances mixing together always think of it like this, what has more pressure the water pump or the oil pump , so whichever has more pressure is going to mix with the other , like when you have a trans cooler on top of the trans with coolant running through it when it fails the water pump makes more psi than the pump in the trans so the trans fills up with coolant , there are exceptions to that rule when you have coolant in the oil from liner orings or coolant in the fuel tanks but thats another thing , thats just my way of thinking

Edited by Stingray698, 15 January 2011 - 10:14 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   theakerstwo

theakerstwo

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,202 posts
    • Model:b61
    • Year:1957

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

I know its a little more work but ive found best results is flushing with the t stats out , i usually use spic and span but more or less the same thing , One thing i was tought a long time ago was when ever you have two substances mixing together always think of it like this, what has more pressure the water pump or the oil pump , so whichever has more pressure is going to mix with the other , like when you have a trans cooler on top of the trans with coolant running through it when it fails the water pump makes more psi than the pump in the trans so the trans fills up with coolant , there are exceptions to that rule when you have coolant in the oil from liner orings or coolant in the fuel tanks but thats another thing , thats just my way of thinking

Bad thing about pulling the thermostat is the coolant now will only circulate the block around and around and very little is forced thru the rad.Wate will go thru the lest resistint
    glenn akers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users