Calling All Mack E Model Owners

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Do school busses count? I found an E school bus (or whats left of one) at the local auto wrecker,and might be able to broker a deal for the front group and possibly the drivetrain out of it,but can't arrange to move or store it myself right now.(long story) Thing is,it needs to happen in the next week,the body's already filled with scrap metal,ready to go to the crusher in SLC,Utah. It has a REO OHV engine,EN354,5 speed and single speed axle,fairly good radiator,front fenders and a chrome(?) grille and a decent bumper. The hood's a little rough but might be better than what somebody's trying to use. No paperwork,so it's parts only. Please let me know ASAP if you want to make an offer on it so I can get something in motion for you! I can go get you in touch with the owner and let you two hash it out. HURRY!!

Speed

(775)-934-4760 cell

Elko,Nevada

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 2 weeks later...

Well-sorta;Packer and I are working together to see what we can do on this deal. I\\\'m having trouble getting the principal partners together on this. Couldn\\\'t contact the yard owner for quite a while,finally caught him,tried to get Packer on the phone so they could negotiate but Packer wasn\\\'t getting phone signal. Yard owner was on the road the next day,but Packer was available,etc.,etc.....

I\\\'m going to take one more shot at coordinating this show Monday,then I\\\'m going to give each the other\\\'s phone number and let them hammer out a deal. Last I heard was the owner wants $500.00 for the complete front clip,with engine and trans.but I think he will negotiate a little. The rest of the bus is toast;they peeled the roof down one side and laid it open,and filled the body with scrap metal. Packer also wants the sanders,and I\\\'m hoping to snag the drivelines and whatever lights I can get. Once he and the owner reach an agreement,he\\\'ll contact me and I\\\'ll go get whatever\\\'s on the shopping list and stash it until he can pick it up.

The owner also has a good sized PTO winch with half inch cable on it he wants $100.00 for,and he has a 15 foot flatbed I think would be a good fit on my EH,aluminum frame and wood deck,in good shape, for $125.00. I\\\'m really gonna try to get ahold of that!

I think I remember this being an "EHM". I have some pics of it but can't post 'em.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:]

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 1 month later...

post-1806-1239300332_thumb.jpg this is the pic of the second ED

Hello Andy,

I think we have 2 more for you.

ED1S3104, and another ED serial number is too hard to read . I will try to post pics.

Regards,

Tracy & Kevin www.allmacks.com

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I'm afraid I disappeared again. Sorry about that. Lost my job in February and there's been a few changes here. We're moving house interstate shortly. Fortunately, it's a better scenario for us workwise and the town is in the middle of E-model land when it comes to Mack Es downunder. Hoping I can find one for myself at last.

How'd you go, Speed?

Tracy and Kevin, many thanks for those details.

Andy

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all;

Well,not much to report.

I borrowed a '76 Chevy one ton from a friend,and a car trailer from a different friend and finally caught the seller in the yard. I got the winch and the front clip from the bus. The sanders were too deeply installed to retrieve without unloading 12 tons of scrap,so we had to pass on them. I did get the winch,and a rats nest of cable I discovered later wasn't even part of the winch.

The seller loaded everything heavy on the car trailer with his crane,and I put all the loose sheet metal and radiator etc. on the deck of the one ton,and hauled it to Pat's place in Ryndon,where I had a friend (Mike) from the other side of the valley bring his loader over and help me unload it. (It's heavy stuff!) I talked to Packer and we got a plan together.

Once he got to town,he followed me out to Ryndon,I pulled the U-bolts and steering linkage loose and had Mike come over and lift up the frame off the axle,and I dragged the axle/wheels from under the frame clip,with my one ton.

Packer backed his trailer down the slope to where I'd stored all the loose parts, the sheet metal and radiator,which we hand-loaded,then he pulled up onto the flats and Mike loaded the axle,with wheels.,and the winch. Quite a project. Really enjoyed Packer's visit,though it was way too short. I'll try to take a ride out his way soon-always wanted to do some exploring there anyway.

I told Pat I'd drag the frame/engine/transmission down to my little storage area as soon as I could;not really sure how I'll do it. I think I'll hook onto it with the BronkWorth and see if it has enough muscle and ballast to drag it the 500 feet to where I want it. I know the Mack has the muscle,but I have a hard time getting enough weight on the drivers to drag anything,no matter how high up I attach the chain. I guess if all else fails I'll have Mike fire up his loader one more time...(I probably already owe him about a tank of Diesel for all the work he's done for me.)

While I was in Physical therapy for my screwed up elbow the therapist told me she'd heard I had a knack for getting things done,and she has a 14X70 mobile home she wants pulled out of her backyard. she says if I'll move it,I can have it. Normally,I'd shy away from this kind of deal because of the permits etc. required to move it,but her place is in Southfork ,fairly close to where my own property is,so I could move the trailer without having to get on city streets or highways,and I DID plan to eventually put a mobile on my land,so it looks like the Mack's gonna have another fun job to do. Before I get into this job,though,I really want to bring the truck to the house (Southfork's about 26 miles from Ryndon,where the Mack is now,and my house and shop, in Elko,is just about the halfway point between Southfork and Ryndon.) and do some work on it.

I still need to fix the rear brakes,replace a pinion seal and the output seal on the Brownie (and change it back to mineral oil,if I can find it around here),install a wiper motor,replace the windshield,install the 11.00R-22.5's (and find a way to create a bit more front fender clearance-I'm sure I'll need it.) and install some better mirrors. (I'm also going to drive it down to a friend's body shop,to se what he'd charge to fix my driver side door and doorjamb,so I can put new window channels and glass in and get the door glass operable again.) With these things done,I won't have any worries about driving it through town or on the highway.

On another subject,when I started checking out the Mack bus,I saw on the bus's ID plate that it had an EN354 engine;I was a little surprised to see the same engine designation being used for the flathead six like my truck has,and the overhead valve six in the bus. Then I discovered the REO ReCon overhead motor was a transplant (not a very graceful one either-the forged steel front mounting crossmember was badly butchered for harmonic balancer clearance,and wasn't attached to the frame rails at the ends at all.).Now I'm not sure what size the engine really is. Any idea where I can find the original engine ID number on it? Next time I'm out there I'll try to get the numbers off the Rebuilder's plate on the right side of the block;maybe someone out there can tell me what I have;maybe the number the rebuilder put on it will tell me something.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

Hey Andy!!!!

Looks like I "found" another one, and yes, it followed me home!!!!

1947 Model "45"

Serial number

"1288"

Utility firetruck

Got a really cool flat head 4 cyl generator behind the cab!!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

:o WOW-that's a nice one!! Looks like a runner,too!. Good find! :twothumbsup:

Speed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

We've just moved house again so I'm catching up again. Need to get the register finished from a presentation point of view. Should have that done shortly as we now have well over 50 E-models listed.

I'll be in touch with the new entries shortly (Engine2 etc).

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Well, as you can see from my signature, we're now on 55 Es for the registry. Thanks again to those who have contacted me with details and to see how the registry is going. I've just updated the listing from the latest posts above and we had some interesting new entries. The ED Tracy and Kevin posted above is the first ED on the registry and Engine 2's Type 45 is the youngest Type 45 on the register. The Tryon FB Type 50S supplied by Ray is also the first Type 50 on the register. How it differs from a 505S I have yet to work out.

I am now working on a formal pdf document for the register which will be a similar format to the B-model register. This will be emailed to all owners on the register and made available here and elsewhere. If you know you're on the list but are not sure if you've supplied your email, please drop me a line at aircrewbooksATiinet.net.au (replacing the AT with @).

I hope to add another E to the list personally on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Andy

Found another E series , a 1945 Mack Type 45 Pumper still in use at Newportville Fire Company in Pennsylvania.

Here is a link a picture of the truck on their website: http://newportvillefireco.tripod.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://www.newportvillefireco.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/hpim0866.jpg.w560h420.jpg&target=tlx_new

Still runs, pumps and looks good, going to a muster in Philadelphia with this truck next Sunday.

Just wanted to make sure it was on the list. Will get more info later

Firemack

• 1 month later...

It's official, the Mack E Model Registry is under way with a grand total of just seven Es in Australia and the US listed so far (apologies to those who have read this on ATHS).

If you own an E or know someone who does please drop me a line by email or private message.

Once I have a decent number of trucks listed (say 50), I will make the registry available to whoever is interested. The format will follow that of the B Model register and the E register will be available on the net somewhere in pdf format.

Thanks to Lee Haeberlein, Tom Freeman, Bob Gilbreath, David Waits and Mike Harbison for their help getting this off the ground and to Barry for making this a sticky!

Cheers

Andy

Hi to Andy and all enthusiasts, my Mack is a 1945 EHX Model. I will dig up the numbers for posting. It was delivered to Silver Lake Lumber Co in Oregon in 1945 with an extra 4 speed transmission giving a total of 48 speeds forward and reverse. It was bought by a gold miner and came to Alaska where I own it here in Fairbanks. It runs like new! I love it of course. Erik `K` .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I believe Packer has one;if he doesn't have one on hand,he probably knows where there is one. Packer's kind of a Pied Piper for E models,for some reason. :lol:

He'll probably clock in here soon.

Good luck in your search.

Speed

I believe Packer has one;if he doesn't have one on hand,he probably knows where there is one. Packer's kind of a Pied Piper for E models,for some reason. :lol:

He'll probably clock in here soon.

Good luck in your search.

Speed

thanks speed i don't know what it is but i saw one at western co. mack and it was love at first sight. i have allways liked 48 to 50 gm's but the ed has me woooing

Hey Bigen!

Just read your post and replied to your e-mail.

I've got two 'E's but both are bigger.

The one is an 'EH' and the other is an 'E' something or other.

No title and the plate is kinda bad.

Bought it for a parts truck only.

Got:

Fenders (2 sets)

Engines (2 1/2)

Cabs (1 good, 1 with lots of cancer)

Diffs (3)

Front axles (4)

Transmissions (2-3)

Hood (1)

AND misc. bits and pieces.

And a deal you may not be able to refuse!!!!

(laffin)

Packer

(307)871-4577) Cell

Keep a clutchin'

thanks for the reply packer ill call thursday afternoon. what would be a good time?

i am a stone cold rookie when it comes to antique trucks, im gonna need lots of help.

i love the ed pickup, what years did they make them, do all of them have wood?